Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Beginner

Default Okay pros, once you board the ship, what is your strategy?

I have been on a cruise only once before when I was in high school with my parents. Great time and I am so excited to be going on another one. My husband, our daughter 5 and I will be on Navigator of the Seas 3/31 Western. I am as Type A as you can get for vacation planning. Once I have everything all planned out I am much more relaxed.

So here is where I need your help. What I really want to know is what should I do once we get on the ship - what is THE priority? I see posts on everyone going to lunch before it gets crowded, I also see getting the reservations for Chops and Portifino is a must. Sign your kid up for Adventure Club, get your wine packages, check your excursions to make sure they are right, get your spa times put in early- AH!! Too much pressure!!!

I need the pros to tell me how to smoothly go about this so I can unwind and enjoy my vacation!

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think you mentioned all the important stuff to do, once onboard. If you are on early, the cabins aren't ready to see until around 1:00, but grabbing a bite to eat first and then drop things off, explore the ship is a good plan.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Passenger

! Don't get yourself crazy over all of this ! First I can save you some time and tell you to just go to the RCCL website and you can choose and pay for your excursion online. Tickets will be delivered to your cabin onboard and you can also check to see if excursion is correct on one of the RCCL TV channels on the TV in your cabin! There will be a guest book in your cabin with the channel listings. If you want to check in person go to the guest relation desk and the excursion desk is right next to it. Next thing for wine, on the RCCL web site go to top of main page under deals and choose deals and gifts, then gifts for on board, then culinary, and then at the bottom of that page there is a drop down type box and click on wine cellar and order your wine. 2 things done before you board! When you board they will tell you to go to the Windjammer and have lunch while you wait for your cabin to be ready. Cabins are usually ready around 1 or so. Don't worry about the Windjammer being crowded as it is designed with several sections for food stations so it won't be just one long line and that keeps the flow going very nice. After lunch the restaurants will be right by the Windjammer so it's easy to make your reservations. You may want to ask the staff when formal night will be or lobster night if either of these things are important to you so you don't make a reservation on the night you want to do the other things. Ok next go to ocean adventure for your daughter and sign her up if you want but I don't think there's any pressing need to do this right away as the times are listed in your compass each day of when you may take your child to it but go down and check it out to see. If you really need to do these things right away, do yourself a favor and print out all the deck plans of your ship and take them with you so you know exactly where you are going. Then walk up to the spa and make your appointments. Again if you want your hair done, ask what nights are formal if you want it done for formal night. Port days usually mean savings coupons for massages and other spa things so keep that in mind if you want to save some money. You can get your ice show tickets that night after dinner as they will have a table set up. There is no assigned seating so don't worry about getting the best seats! You are just getting a ticket to get in, and you pick your own seat! Want a good seat, go 15-20 minutes early before the start of the show. By the way, Compasses are flyers they give you every night for the next days activities and you will find eveything there is to do and the times are listed also for every activity for day and night so it makes it easy to pick out things you may want to do. All times will be listed on there for children's program, dining hours in various places, shows and games, etc. RCCL TV station will also have a list of events too and the good news is that there is so much to do and see you won't be able to do it all so RCCL tapes many of the shows so you can watch them in your cabin late at night or throughout the day so you don't have to miss them! You may also call on the phone from your cabin to make reservations for anything or to ask info also! Daily menu's in dining rooms are also listed on TV. You may order any item on the dining room menu from room service during the hours the dining room is serving. Lobster is always questionable. Some people get it delivered, so do not, you have to just ask if you wanted to have it delivered. Have a bunch of singles so you can keep them some place handy to tip room service when they deliver. Worried about getting up in time for an excursion in port? Order breakfast from room service the night before by filling out what you want on the order forms found behind your door, circle the time you want it delivered, and put it on outside doorknob before 1am and they will call you in the morning about 10 minutes before they deliver your breakfast. What a great wake up call! There is a 24/7 room service menu found in the guest book also. You can also check your seapass acount on TV to keep track of purchases made! A seapass card is your ship ID card, your room key, and linked to your credit card so all purchases go on your seapass card. One card does it all so don't lose them! RCCL makes everything very easy onboard! Your first priority is to have fun and relax and you will have a wonderful time! No pressure just fun! Leave the stress at the pier! Really, RCCL has this down to a science and the crew will help you do whatever it is you want. You will do the muster drill about a half hour before you sail and then find a nice place to relax and enjoy the sail away, some go to the top deck, some go to one of the top lounges, and some like to watch from their balcony's! Any questions just ask! Someone here will know the answer!
Explorer 10/07 B
Explorer 12/07
Explorer 1/08
Explorer 4/08
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Admiral

You've about got it nailed,,however the only other thing that the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I always do is check on your dining reservations. We usually go to the dining room and take a visual of our assigned table, and of course the seating assigned. We like early, or "main" seating, and a table for 6 or 8. If we don't have exactly what we want, then we go immediantly to the matre'd and have it fixed. The earlier the request is made, the more likely you are to get exactly what you want.

Ken
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Admiral

I am a low key kind of cruiser. The first thing I do is go right to the buffett grab some chow. Then find my "spot" by the pool where we will probably lounge around for most of the cruise. After chow, I get a drink and hang out by the pool;
if you are into SPA treatments book them on the first day they are usually 1/2 price on the first day.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Well, we've only been on 1 cruise. I'm the typical "must know where everything is" person for vacations & not the lost tourist type of "which way do we go".

We ate lunch first, then because our room was on Deck 2 (belly of the beast), we started working each deck exploring. We explored every inch we were legally able to do & by the time it was dinner hour, we knew the whole layout. Some passengers didn't even know you were allowed on the helicopter pad by the last day!

But that's just us.
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Admiral

By the time we get to the ship our room is usually ready. We check that out first then we book our excurisions via the TV set. Then we go for the food. It sounds like the schedule you have will work just fine. Enjoy.