Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Passenger

Default Will my hubby enjoy the cruise?

Hello all, it will be our first cruise this november and will be travelling on the RC Mariner of the seas.

My hubby is not interested at all in the formal nights on board Are there other places to eat on these formal nights and what is the difference between formal and informal nights

If you could fill me in i would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance

michelle
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Sure there are other places to eat:

- Johnny Rockets® '50s-style restaurant (Cover of $4 if you eat in the place; free if you have it to go
- Café Promenade
- Windjammer
- Jade
- Room Service

Portofino Italian Restaurant and Chops Grille will adhere to the formal dress code.

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

- Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women
- Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women
- Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Beginner

Hey Michelle. We're taking our first cruise next month. I've been scouring these boards for weeks now and even though I've never cruised I think I can answer your question.

But even better would be for you to go to the forum "Cruise Dress/Packing". I bet if you spent some time in there you would have all the answers to your questions and more.

No reason to re-invent the wheel, eh?
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am like your husband,I am not into the formal nights.If you want you can go to the buffet for dinner.The buffet is up at the windjammer where you can go for breakfast.Or if you want go to one of the paying resturants, like portofinos,you have to dress up, but a jacket and no tie.
As far as will he like the cruise if he does the activities like shows and dancing he wont even know that he is on a ship.Most cruisers motto is you" make your own fun."
the difference between the two is formal is dress up,informal is button down shirts and no shorts.

ENJOY THE CRUISE
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the advise, good to know he wont be restricted on places to eat on the formal nights. Regarding Johnny Rockets, i thought they had a cover charge to eat but i didnt know it was free if you asked for it to go, i must remember that

I will read up on cruise packing asap, there is so much to read and learn!!!
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Admiral

There's a $3.95 cover charge to eat Johnny Rocket's food (no matter how much you order, the fee is still the same) and iced tea, milk shakes and draft beer are a'la carte). A couple of hints: If you don't like to wait in line, aim to arrive at 11:30 a.m., just after it opens, or after 3 p.m. (and anytime at night). Another tip: you can order food "to go" and there's no extra charge.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

May-be you can talk your husband into packing a dark suit for those formal evenings. They really are special and dinner in the dinning room on those nights are usually good and fun....You'd hate to miss out on all that just because he wouldn't wear a suit.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Passenger

I hope my hubby changes his mind before we go as i would love the opportunity to dress up myself!! Hes not used to wearing suits at all and certainly not when on holiday but we are both really excited about this holiday as it is our first cruise and is totally different to what we usually do.

If he wore a suit, is he also expected to wear a tie? Also would my two boys who are 2 and 7, be expected to dress the same or just smart?

thanks in advance

Michelle
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Admiral

He should wear a tie. He **MIGHT** get by without it; but if he doesn't, you all got all dressed up for nothing.

The two boys, just dress smart.

Old January 27th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Captain

I HATE formal nights, even tho I wear a dark suit (and yes, the dreaded tie). BUT I do it and agree that it's worth the hassle. The ladies look great and the food is stepped up a notch on those nights. I always change right after dinner, even if going to a show so u can ask him to do it as a favor for 2-3 hours and see how that flies.
Old January 27th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Admiral

I agree with Donna and Robbie H. Please try to talk hubby into dressing up for the formal nights. They really are very special. It is also a time to take your pictures. They do take pictures on other nights but formal night is fun. After dinner is over you can always go back to your room and change into different cloths and start the evenings festivities. Enjoy.

Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Jewel OTS 3/2016
Harmony OTS 12/2016
Serenade OTS 12/2016
Old January 27th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am sure your husband will have a great time regardless. Why not split down the middle and skip one. If he likes steak and lobster, it will probably be served on the final formal night.

In any event, there is way more to a cruise than eating! Have a good time and don't let a dress code or one event stand in either of you or your husband from having a good time!
Old January 28th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Passenger

RCCL only has a suggested attire not a mandatory dress code. You can find this in their brochures and on their website. The dining room signs say no bare feet, swim attire, ball caps and shorts at dinner permitted. It is true on formal night the majority of passengers do dress, men mostly in suits and ladies in cocktail dresses or slacks and dressy tops. With that said, there are also people who choose to wear more casual attire for formal night such as a man may wear slacks and a sweater or dress shirt and a lady may wear slacks and a top. Children are dressed neat and clean. The crew does not enforced the suggested attire so please do not feel that you have to be dressed formal to attend formal night. Formal dress code is a hot topic and some people are pro formal attire only but the reality is the crew welcomes those dressed more casually as well. As RCCL does not enforce on formal attire on formal night I do not see the point in folks argueing about it. Lobster is usually not served on a formal night but on a casual night and the menu is available to view each day on the TV on the RCCL TV channels. Yes, there are other alternative dining choices and they are all fine also but do not feel like you cannot attend formal nights if you are not wearing a suit and a dress as it's simply not true. Many people love to dress up as they do not have the opportunity to do so at home and they should dress to the nines if that is what they enjoy but passengers are welcome if they choose to dress more casual as well and that is a fact. We do dress for formal night but I would be more than happy to sit with anyone who does not. I am much more interested in what my tablemates have to say then what they are wearing. Enjoy your cruise! PS. Steak is served everynight and it is found in the alternative selections on the menu. Prime rib is usually offered with Lobster on " lobster " night. The rest of the evenings in the dining room are stated casual in the compasses. " smart casual " seems to have disappeared off the compass.
Explorer 10/07 B
Explorer 12/07
Explorer 1/08
Explorer 4/08
Old January 28th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much for all your advise and suggestions regarding formal night attire, i thought if we got it wrong we'd be made to walk the plank in disgrace

I will be showing this to husband to assure him that as long as he feels comfortable all will be well and i can feel that we wont have to miss out on a glitzy night where everyone looks fabulous.

thanks again all, really glad i found this site
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Passenger

There is no really " wrong " on RCCL! You'll have a great time and have FUN!
Explorer 10/07 B
Explorer 12/07
Explorer 1/08
Explorer 4/08