Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Turner13
Default help me please

i am new to cruising and i hear if there is bad weather or some other stuff the cruise ship wont go and stop to like say mexico .. does this happen regularly
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: help me please

Turner13,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
i am new to cruising and i hear if there is bad weather or some other stuff the boat wont go and stop to like say mexico .. does this happen regularly
In 22 cruises, I have had only one port of call disrupted by bad weather. A hurricane struck Key West about four or five days before our scheduled arrival during a transatlantic cruise in October 2005, forcing local authorities to close the port for a couple weeks. It does not happen often, but it can happen. Of course, it's somewhat more likely if you book a cruise going to the Caribbean or to Bermuda during hurricane season (June through November) than if you book a cruise to another destination or at another time of year.

There have also been instances in which ships have deviated from their scheduled itineraries due to severe storms headed into their paths. The major cruise lines try to arrange alternate ports of call when such situations arise. A few years ago, one ship that was scheduled to go to Bermuda when a hurricane was bearing down on the island went to Canada's maritime provinces and New England instead. Again, such deviations are rare but more likely on Caribbean and Bermuda itineraries during hurricane season than either at other times of the year or in other destinations.

That said, I must warn you NEVER to refer to a cruise ship as a "boat," especially in any forum where a member of the ship's crew might hear you (like this one). In standard maritime usage, a "ship" is a seaworthy vessel (that is, capable of going out on the high seas) and a "boat" is a vessel that is not seaworthy. The implication that a vessel is not seaworthy is a grave insult to the master and to the whole the crew. It's somewhat more eggregious than telling a Sicilian that he's Italian or telling a Scotsman that he's English. You will be very lucky if the only consequence of such an offense is that they hand your head back to you after they sever it from your body.

Norm.
Old February 5th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

In the event of bad weather your ports may be changed but it is the rare exception rather than the rule. Ports in which you have to tender (take a smaller boat from the ship to an island or port) will make it more likely that you may miss it. Grand Cayman is an example where ships have had to miss the port.

I would not make any MAJOR plans for any port, such as a wedding, anniversary or other event where others would attend because of the off chance the ship could miss that port.

One last thing: A ship carries a boat. If you by chance would make the mistake and refer to a ship as a boat you may be corrected, in a very courteous manner, by the master, officers or the crew. You will not have your head handed to you. If they respond differently to you, they won't, hold their position for too long.

Welcome to Cruisemates and please feel free to ask any other questions.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Turner13

thanks for the advice and i did not to offend anyone by saying "boat". (i edited it and now it says cruise ship ) thanks for the advice again.