Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Captain

Default Splendour of the Seas Cruise

I recently returned from a Splendour of the Seas cruise. It was our first cruise on Royal Caribbean, and we had a great time. While in Costa Maya we had the thrill of seeing a 25 foot shark. (Luckily, we weren't in the water when we saw it.)

It was a very exciting cruise. One of the female crew members got ill and had to be taken off the ship in a helicopter. The helicopter had to hover over the ship for about 45 minutes while they let down a man and a stretcher to haul the woman up. We were told later that she had made it to the hospital and was recuperating.

There's never a dull moment on a cruise!!!

Happy cruising to all!

Libragirl
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Costa Maya, Cozumel on RCL Splendour of the Seas

Hi Libragirl - another Libra girl here My daughter and I are sailing April 14th and wondered what you liked most in Costa Maya and Cozumel. We are thinking of heading over to swim with the dolphins, or go parasailing. May just try to do these on our own rather than book the ship's excursions.

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Captain

Cheezz,

This was our first time to go to Costa Maya. We got off the ship, walked around the port area for a while, and then took a taxi ($3 per person) to Mahajual, a small fishing village 3 miles from the port area. The little village is right on the coast and the beach area is really beautiful. There are small restaurants and bars set up all along the beach. There are also women doing massages for as little as $10 for 30 minutes. Some of the locals have little shops set up selling local items, t-shirts, etc. We don't do any of the ship's excursions anymore because they are so expensive. My husband speaks fluent Spanish and we frequently rent a car and go on our own. (He speaks three languages fluently, and knows some basics of at least four others.) I wish I had that talent.

Cozumel is a great place to shop. It also has some beautiful beaches, but you will have to take a taxi to one of the beaches, if you go on your own. I haven't been there, but I have heard that Paradise Beach is beautiful and basically free. There are restaurants set up where you can sit in their chairs if you order something. I've been told that it will cost $15 for the taxi ride to the beach, and another $15 back. There is also Chankanaab Park that was very nice before Hurricane Wilma and that they are still working on restoring it to the way it was before.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise, and please write a review when you get back.

Libragirl from Texas 8)
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Costa Maya, Cozumel

Hi Libragirl - the daughter I'm sailing with lives in Austin. I'm flying there so we can sail out of Galveston. LOVE Austin - too bad it gets so hot and humid.

Thanks for the 411 on the beaches - I think she wants to swim with the dolphins, so I'll tag along and we can spend some time in Chankanaab Park. I also like the idea of getting a massage... what do they do, set up little enclosed cabanas on the beach or something? For $20 an hour, I may spend all day there!

Can you recommend a particular restaurant in either port?
I am jealous of anyone fluent in another language. I know only the bare basics, but someone near port usually speaks English.

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Old February 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Captain

Cheezz,

There are a lot of good restaurants in Cozumel. We have eaten at Pancho's Backyard which is located inside the Los Cinco Soles shop(near the Forum Shops). There is also a good restaurant at Palmeras Square. You can't miss it. It is an outdoor covered restaurant right at he front of the Square. There are numerous other restaurants you can choose from, also. Don't just shop on the main street. The prices go down the further you walk away from the main stree.

There are people who do massages in Cozumel, but I can't tell you the exact location. My husband and I walk all over Cozumel when we go. We have seen them when we are walking around. They are usually on a side street. Massages are done right on the beach in Costa Maya. There is one are where they have built a structure where you walk up stairs and they do the massages there. All the others are right on the beach with little privacy. Of course, if you are wearing a bathing suit it would make it easier. They use a sheet to keep you mostly covered.

We live 20 miles from Austin. I love Austin, too. The main problem with Austin now is that it has grown so much that the traffic is horrible. The population has doubled in the last 20 years or so. The heat during the summer can be unbearable at times, but we have great winters. When it was -40 up north last week, it was 75 here. I was playing tennis in my shorts.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise and please tell us all about it when you get home!

Libragirl (Mary) 8)
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Captain

Cheezz,

In Costa Maya we had drinks and chips at the Cat's Meow. It is right on the beach. We didn't eat a meal there, but the food they brought out to others looked really good. They have tables near the water under a covered area. The beach is beautiful. You will love it.

Libragirl
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Thanks for all the info - I loved Pancho's Backyard...

I ate there as it was recommended by the ship, and I was on my own. I walked up an down the main street parallel to the dock - didn't know there were shops beyond that as I didn't have much time to explore.

I'll look for Cat's Meow in Costa Maya, too.

Oh yes, I'm a great picture-taker. I posted tons of pics here on my Princess and Norwegian cruises. On the Princess I took pictures of absolutely everything, including the ironing boards and washers/dryers in the laundry room All that helps if you've never cruised and need visuals.

Old March 6th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libragirl
Cheezz,

Cozumel is a great place to shop. It also has some beautiful beaches, but you will have to take a taxi to one of the beaches, if you go on your own. I haven't been there, but I have heard that Paradise Beach is beautiful and basically free. There are restaurants set up where you can sit in their chairs if you order something. I've been told that it will cost $15 for the taxi ride to the beach, and another $15 back. There is also Chankanaab Park that was very nice before Hurricane Wilma and that they are still working on restoring it to the way it was before.

Libragirl from Texas 8)
I've heard that you can take a taxi to the National Park and go snorkling there. Do you know anything about renting snorkling equipment at the park?
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default lotsago - here is the website for you.

http://www.cozumelparks.org.mx/

Look at the left hand frame and under 'Services' click 'Additional' - you'll see scuba rental prices there. I'm told it's about a 10 min. taxi ride.

Old March 6th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Beginner

Default Re: lotsago - here is the website for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezz
http://www.cozumelparks.org.mx/

Look at the left hand frame and under 'Services' click 'Additional' - you'll see scuba rental prices there. I'm told it's about a 10 min. taxi ride.
Thanks! I'd been told the park was a great place to rent equipment and snorkel. Then somewhere on this board someone stated the really good snorkeling is by taking a boat that goes to two different places. Anyone else have any experieince in this?
Old March 10th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1
Default Splendou

Since you just returned from cruising on Splendour, can u tell me where the Seatle's Best coffee is located? Thanks.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Passenger

Hello Libra Girl! I will be sailing on the same cruise to Costa Maya and Cozumel We are planning on visiting Chankanaab but I have heard about the distruction from Wilma. What is open? Is it worth going? It sounds like a nice day as there are lots of things to do there......beach, lagoon, eco park, "mayan" ruins.....
Norwegian Crown Bermuda 9-07
Royal Caribbean Splendour Of The Seas Mexico
3-07
Celebrity Horizon Bermuda 9-05
Holland America Zuiderdam Caribbean 9-04
Celebrity Galaxy Caribbean 5-03
Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress Caribbean 12-98
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to cajun girl

Hi! My hubby and I are going on this cruise in April. I was wondering if you'd share with me what excursion you did while there? I was also wondering if the temperature was warm or on the cool side? Thank you so much!
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Captain

Cruze lover,

Chankanaab is open, but I don't know how it compares now with the way it was. I have only driven by the park. I have never been inside. I heard it was wonderful before the storm. There are beautiful beaches in Cozumel. The last time we were there, we rented a jeep and drove to the other side (eastern side) of the island and went to Playa Bonita. It is usually almost deserted, but beautiful. There is a restaurant there. This side has more problems with rip tides, but I never venture very far, anyway. There is also Paradise Beach on the west side. Near it is San Francisco Beach and Chankanaab.

Cajun girl,

It is always hot, hot, hot in Mexico. We don't do ship excursions. We have done them in the past, but now, we usually rent a car and go on our own. (My husband speaks fluent Spanish, which makes this much easier to do.) I love to shop, and Cozumel is a great place to shop. Costa Maya has a beautiful beach with a few small shops. We just sat around and relaxed there.

Have fun whatever you do!!

Libragirl from Texas
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to cajun girl

Good I'm glad to know it's hot! Being from the south I wouldn't want to go there and be cold Can you tell me how many formal nights there was on the cruise? We aren't sure if it's 1 or 2?
Thank you for the info!
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Captain

Cajun girl,

Five day cruises have 1 formal night. Seven day cruises have 2.

Have fun!!!

Libragirl