I want to do a cruise next year with the whole family. I have two young sons that will be ages 7/8 and 5 when we are planning to go. I have ben considering Disney, but I really want to so a Southern Carribean and the price difference between a RCI and a Disney cruise is quite significant. I know Disney is THE Family Cruise Line, but I am wondering if I can still have a nice "adult" vacation and put the kids in clubs to enjoy themselves so hubby and I can enjoy some adult time.
I am looking for info from cruisers that have kids my age and have done any cruises on the Radiance Family of ships (and maybe on Disney, too), as the Serenade is the ship I am looking at.
1. Did you feel safe leaving your kids in the clubs?
2. Did you have any trouble getting your kids into the clubs? Were they ever overbooked or anything?
3. Can you put the kids in the clubs every day if you want, for all the times listed? I know they don't have clubs during typical meal times, but if I wanted the kids in the clubs for all the sea days, for all the times the clubs are available, can I do that? I understand you can do that on Disney.
4. Did your kids enjoy it or were they bored?
5. Are the clubs locked so the kids can't get out and wander? I know that when we were in Cancun at one of the resorts, they advertised a club for the kids were the kids were supervised and you could leave them, but the reality was that anyone could leave and get in and supervision was laughable.
6. If you did Disney, too, which is the better for the kids clubs?
Those are just the questions I can think of right now. I love my kids, but I REALLY want some adult time where I don't have to worry about them.
Our family has been on Disney Magic (twice) and a couple of the Radiance class ships (Brilliance and Jewel). We had a great time on all of these cruises. Lots to do on both ships for kids and adults. The only thing missing on Disney from an adult perspective is the casino which I think contributes to the higher prices.
I wouldn't worry about the safety of the kids in either situation. The kids club on Disney is better and much larger than that on the Radiance. Your kids are in the perfect zone for Disney. The Disney characters are all over the ship and are part of the shows.
If you can afford it, I would do Disney. It is a great trip. Even though our kids are older now - 12 & 14, we talk about going back on one of their cruises - even given the higher price.
Also, the cabins have 2 sinks and separate the shower from the toliet. This helps when 4 people are in one room.
We have been on both Disney and RCI, I have four children and just my youngest 2 utilized the kids club, they are ages 7 and 10. They both agreed they like the RCI kids club better even thought they enjoyed the Disney cruise line they felt like there was more to do in the RCI program, one night I even paid for my 7 year old to stay after 10:00 because he didn't want to leave the club. We even booked another RCI cruise for the summer.