Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Passenger

Default When or if airlines add more flights?

My choices are dwindling away for a flight home to Seattle from Miami (or FLL for that matter) on 4/14. Its spring break ... yadda yadda. Do airlines add flights, or whats there now is all there is? Alot of these flights have very few seats left, BUT farecast keeps saying "wait" prices will drop.
I bought one way there (only one flight that fit our schedule) and thought I would be an ace and wait to book the return flight ... Now I know better.
Atleast Im getting to Miami for my cruise! I will hitchhike home if I have to Not really.
Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Admiral

You just might have to hitchhike home!! My wife and I cruised once during spring break. Never again. We had a flight home (Calif) from Ft.L. the only problem was ,we had to wait 8 hours to catch it. We first sat outside the airport with our luggage. We could not check it in b4 4 hours. After we checked our bags we waited another 4 hours to catch a plane to Dallas/Ft. Worth. We sat in that airport for another 3 hours. It was a long day. We went on stand by at both airports but nothing came open. We spent 11 hours sitting in airports that day. I hope your trip home is more enjoyable than ours was. We did have a great cruise though.
Old February 17th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Just keep checking daily, hopefully something will fit your plans.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 17th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: When or if airlines add more flights?

tojobrat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My choices are dwindling away for a flight home to Seattle from Miami (or FLL for that matter) on 4/14. Its spring break ... yadda yadda. Do airlines add flights, or whats there now is all there is? Alot of these flights have very few seats left, BUT farecast keeps saying "wait" prices will drop.
I bought one way there (only one flight that fit our schedule) and thought I would be an ace and wait to book the return flight ... Now I know better.
Atleast Im getting to Miami for my cruise! I will hitchhike home if I have to Not really.
Thanks all!
The airlines will add flights if BOTH (1) they think that there's enough demand to sell the seats AND (2) they have aircraft and crews available to operate the additional flights while still covering their regular schedules.

Unfortunately, most of the major airlines also operate charter flights, and they have a lot of demand for charter flights for various travel groups during the "spring break" period. The agencies that book travel for school groups, for example, typically consolidate groups from several schools on a charter flight because it costs a lot less than standard commercial travel if they fill the plane. Many cruise lines also arrange charter flights between the airlines' hubs, and sometimes other "gateway" cities that have enough passengers going on a particular cruise to fill a plane, to the ports of embarkation because the standard commercial flights don't have enough space to accommodate passengers booked on the cruise. These dynamics undoubtedly create a surge in demand for airplanes and flight crews that makes it difficult for the airlines to add more flights on regular commercial routes.

So what to do?

>> If you can stay a couple nights in Florida before returning home, you probably will find flights that are hundreds of dollars less expensive than the flights on your disembarkation day. The difference will be more than enough to offset the cost of the hotel and a rental car for your stay ashore. Even a one night stay, permitting a flight the next morning, might make a big difference.

>> If you really must return home on disembarkation day, your best bet might be a routing that won't work for a major segment of the "spring break" crowd. Since you are going to Seattle, your best bets might be on Delta via Salt Lake, on United via Denver, on Northwest via either Mineapolos-St. Paul of Memphis, or on Continental via Houston.

Just as a sanity check on what I have said here, I took a check of Delta Air Lines. As of this writing, the best "one way" fare from Fort Lauderdale to Seattle on the afternoon of the fourteenth is $418.80 -- via New York (John F. Kennedy International) and most of the fares are $514.79 or higher, but there's a fare via Salt Lake of $203.80. Unfortunately, it's a morning departure. If you were to stay one night, though, there's a fare of $293.80 with a 6:00 AM departure on the fifteenth. And on the sixteenth, you would do even better -- $164.80, either via Salt Lake with a 7:05 AM departure or via Atlanta with a 3:30 PM departure.

Norm.
Old February 17th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks Norm!

Wow thanks for all of the info. We really need to leave disembarkment day- so I will just have to pay out the nose. Fare watcher says to wait as rates are going down ..... Am I being wildly irresponsible by not purchasing yet for 4/6 cruise?
Thanks again - you all are great and I appreciate the time you all have taken to respond.
Jolene
Old February 17th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Admiral

If the fare goes down, most airlines will give you the lower fare. Book it now.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old February 17th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Passenger

Default Is that true?

Do airlines really let you know if the price goes down? Isnt a ticket that is "nonrefundable" eliminate that chance?
Old February 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Just look up the fares. If the price is lower, call the airlines and ask for the lower rate.

I have done it many times. On our last cruise, Virgin dropped the rate about 2 weeks before we left. Got the lower fare. This was a non-refundable ticket. That's all I buy.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08