Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM
First Mate

Default SCARED - price drop on cabin rooms

I would like to get some feedback from those of you who may have found this out.

I just checked with RCCL and spoke with Customer Service. I told them what I was looking for, what deck and inside cabin. She quoted me a price that is almost $400 less than what we have "already" paid for the exact same thing. I ask about an oceanview, and it was on one deck down, and it is almost $300 less, than what we have already paid.

(I did make sure this was the price of the cruise, plus "all" taxes.)

Now my question, how do I go about telling my TA, that I have found these prices I am actually SCARED, and don't know how to approach her, without really upsetting her. I know they are out to make money too.

Please advise ASAP
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would certainly ask your travel agent, she/he shouldn't get upset, she/he does work for you. Go ahead and give it a try and hopefully lower the price for you.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Captain

I have posted this before but it applies here. My T/A is my T/A because he looks for priced reductions AND applies them right up to the time of the "final payment. Does it lessen his commission? Certainly, BUT I take more cruises and I certainly book with him. So this seems like a good time to test your T/A. If she needs her percentage to remain inflated, you will need a new T/A. But I vote to at least give her the opportunity, Robbie
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Passenger

I keep shopping for any vacation up until the time of the final payment, and make sure I tell my TA of anything I find. She is always very good about any adjustments and have never made an issue out of changing it. I would DEFINATELY bring it to her attention.
Iberostar Quetzal - Mexico 11/06
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Admiral

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the TA is paid by the cruise line and not by you.

With our TA all of our money was paid to NCL directly and not to the agency.
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Passenger

I wouldnt worry about it I have called our TA twice once with the reduction and today because we saw a Happy Hour price reduction for new reservations only - the first time she out our price reduced by $480 and today she said they would not give us the Happy Hour price but would credit us $252 for a state residency reduction (whatever that is?) she was more than happy to do it for us and said to call if i saw anything else.
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:31 PM
First Mate

Default SCARED - price drop

Thank you everyone for posting your views/opinions in whether I should contact my TA about the prices I found when contacting RCCL. Of course I don't have it in "concrete", but I did write down the figures. I don't like to put things off, but I think I will wait until tomorrow and email her. (I think I will email the president of the travel agency a copy too)

As you can guess, I am "still" SCARED of the unknown.
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Admiral

brneyes: How did it go when you emailed your TA? Did you get the reduced rate?
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:48 AM
First Mate

Default SCARED - price drop

Marylou, thanks for asking. I'm getting ready to take the "PLUNGE" now I'll try to let everyone knows what happens.

I just called and found out this is my TA's day off. I'll have to wait Now that will be the hard part, not knowing what is going to happen.
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:53 PM
First Mate

Default SCARED - priced dropped

Hello everyone, well I heard back from my TA, and just what I expected, she didn't say anything bad, but I could tell she was :evil: She said she appreciated my business in the past, and she has tried to answer all my questions, which she has, but she said she felt I should deal directly with the cruise line from now on. She said she will send a new invoice with the rate reduced.

Actually I would like to have an "upgrade" instead. I have not answered her back as yet, but do you think it would hurt for me to ask her to try to get us an upgrade, or just take the reduced rate that she is going to give us. She said she is not responsible (which she is not) for the special's that the cruise lines give up till time of departure.

Please HELP, and advise how to answer her
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Make sure you have all of your money and move on to a TA that has your needs in mind.
If she can't handle you looking for yourself she needs to get a job as a fry cook or something.
She is supposed to provide a SERVICE.
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:27 PM
First Mate

Rinker250, thank you for giving me a chuckle when you said my TA should become a fry cook.

I did send an email back to her, telling her NOT to send a corrected invoice until I got back with her.

I still think I might send the president of the company her email of what she said.
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

She said she is not responsible (which she is not) for the special's that the cruise lines give up till time of departure.

She may not be responsible, but ANY GOOD TA will gladly give you the price reductions that occur. Many will monitor their clients pricing looking for those price drops to pass on to their clients. It's one way of building their loyal clientele through service.

Yours is being VERY short sighted!!!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:03 PM
Admiral

I promise you that the president will appreciate knowing that an employee is turning away business.

Might even give himer a chance to keep it.
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
Passenger

Default Re: SCARED - priced dropped

Quote:
Originally Posted by brneyes
Hello everyone, well I heard back from my TA, and just what I expected, she didn't say anything bad, but I could tell she was :evil: She said she appreciated my business in the past, and she has tried to answer all my questions, which she has, but she said she felt I should deal directly with the cruise line from now on.
Wow, she has a real problem. Your TA should be more than willing to adjust a price for you and if she is not then you don't want her as your TA. I certainly would not.

As for dealing with the cruiseline directly, that is up to you. If you are saavy dealing online, you can book directly there, too. If you feel more comfortable with having an expert arrange things, then by all means find another TA.

I think TAs are losing a lot of business because we can book direct now, however, there will always be people out there who are not comfortable doing it.

Old February 21st, 2007, 07:00 PM
Passenger

We booked a cruise on our last cruise. I keep checking the price on RCI web site. Lo and behold the cruise for our inside stateroom went down a lot. We went to our TA and she called RCI and we got credit on our credit card right away.

Jan
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default That TA should be reprimanded to say the least!

It's not so much that she is reluctant to help you, but gave you ATTITUDE!! That is totally unprofessional! A good TA will do all she/he can for you and welcome questions... politely.

You're lucky it went down -- I paid for my cruise a couple of weeks ago and when I checked yesterday, my cabin had gone up by $400!! If you've never had an oceanview or balcony.... go for it!

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:46 PM
First Mate

she might be a little more polite if you ugrade instead of getting a price reduction since she wouldn't be losing any or much of her comission.

Bill
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Good point! And you could ask for the balance ...

in shipboard credit

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:40 AM
First Mate

Yes, I already took that into consideration. In fact, I put that as my last option, when emailing my TA. I told her we would be more than glad to be upgraded to a window or whatever. So I'm sure she got the message .

I did receive a very nice reply back from the president of the company. I will try to keep everyone informed of what is to transpire, once I hear back from him again. (It is hard (he had requested that I call him) for me to talk, as I am the receptionist/switchboard operator at a large company, and I have to put everyone that is talking to me on "hold" all the time.)
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Admiral

FIND TIME to call him!

You'll not only help him help the next person but you may get a lil' sum sum too!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Beginner

I booked a RCCL cruise at the end of October and just found out that the price dropped $800 (!) since then on my window room. I booked mine through Travelocity, and when I called them to ask about a refund for the difference they couldn't have been nicer. They put me on hold, called RCCL, and the next thing I knew I got my $800 back PLUS a room upgrade to a balcony.

Lesson here is don't be afraid to ask....I didn't expect to get a refund at all when I called, but the cruise lines seem pretty good about crediting you the difference back.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:03 PM
First Mate

Default DROPPED prices

HELP I just heard back from my TA, and this is what she said. At the end of my email, I did mention that if (since there was a big difference in what she was charging compared to RCCL) she could get us a upper deck with window, we might go for that.

She offered a window on deck 3 and gave the price. I just checked with RCCL and the same one is $100 less. More than likey the $100 is her commission, but that still is not the full price we paid. What are your thought? Should we go for the oceanview, and leave as is, or go for the oceanview and ask to see if there is a credit coming?
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM
Admiral

I guess I will just tell you what I would do.
Call the prez and tell him what you have told us.
DROP the TA yesterday and get any money back. She has done nothing for you.

If you have time, find another TA...sharing your story.
If you don't have time, book direct.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You're much more patient than me. By now there's no question I'd have cancelled entirely and booked elsewhere!!

She should give you the same price as RCI is charging, and refund the ENTIRE difference to you.

She in not acting with your best interest in mind, only with her best interest in mind.

There's too many great agents out there to bother with this one, who is obviously not in that category.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:13 PM
Passenger

You have to decide what's more important to you, saving money or not pissing off your travel agent. That's $300 or $400 you can spend on your trip.

Personally, I wouldn't be afraid of the conflict. Stand up for yourself and do what needs to be done to save yourself some money.
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Captain

"Doctor, it hurts when I go like this"

"DON'T go like that!"
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Hi brneyes,

I could very well be wrong, but it appears that you were within the final payment date when you saw the price go down. You're sailing on April 14, right?

From RCI's website:

Quote:
Q: When is the final payment for my cruise vacation due?

A: Final payment of the balance must be received at Royal Caribbean's offices at least 60 days prior to the sailing date for 3, 4, or 5-night cruise vacations and 70 days prior to the sailing date for 7-night or longer cruise vacations. The payment schedule for groups is different from that of individuals. You will usually receive cruise and air documents no later than 28 days before the start of your cruise.
If you're within the final payment date you won't be able to get the better price if you are already booked. When you call RCI (or look at other websites) you'll get the current price for new bookings and you can't cancel and rebook.

Your TA should have told you this when you booked!

Sometimes you can get some OBC when the price goes down, but I wouldn't count on it .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Technically, the TA is not allowed to charge more than the cruiseline is charging at that exact time. If you saw the exact same cabin $100 cheaper on the same day she quoted you, that is very suspicious. I agree that I would drop that TA and find another one. I also agree that you should do everything in your power to call the president and tell him your story. Let us know what happens.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Admiral

rccl is excellent in that way. when i book my cruise i keep checking the price if it drops (and it has in the past) i call my travel agent and rccl adjusts the price. not too many cruise lines do that once you are paid that is it.