Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:53 PM
Passenger

Default Please help, passport issues for cruise

HI Everyone, I have cruised in the past and desperately need guidance from anyone on this message board with these new passport requirements.

I have applied for an expedited passport, apparently due to the influx of passport applications, an expedited passport is taking a minimum of 4 weeks when it is normally 2 weeks. It is likely I will not have a passport in time for my Royal Caribbean Cruise.

I went on Royal Caribbean's website and unless i am reading it wrong, it seems that you can still use a birth certificate and a drivers license to get on the cruise. They strongly suggest a passport, but you can still use the DL and Birth Certificate.

I am stressing over this, so if anyone has been on a cruise since Jan 1 07 and hasnt used a passport and you used a birth certificate and drivers license and everything was fine and you had no problems please message me.

I called RC and they said I should be ok, but I would love to hear confirmation from someone else.

Thank you so much, I appreciate any info any has on the details on this.
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:23 PM
Admiral

We had no problem with a DL and BC last week.
Of course, you have to depart and return to the USA by sea.

NCL gave us a letter when we boarded reiterating that we would be unable to return to the US by air.
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Please help, passport issues for cruise

mmajoyce,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
HI Everyone, I have cruised in the past and desperately need guidance from anyone on this message board with these new passport requirements.

I have applied for an expedited passport, apparently due to the influx of passport applications, an expedited passport is taking a minimum of 4 weeks when it is normally 2 weeks. It is likely I will not have a passport in time for my Royal Caribbean Cruise.

I went on Royal Caribbean's website and unless i am reading it wrong, it seems that you can still use a birth certificate and a drivers license to get on the cruise. They strongly suggest a passport, but you can still use the DL and Birth Certificate.

I am stressing over this, so if anyone has been on a cruise since Jan 1 07 and hasnt used a passport and you used a birth certificate and drivers license and everything was fine and you had no problems please message me.

I called RC and they said I should be ok, but I would love to hear confirmation from someone else.

Thank you so much, I appreciate any info any has on the details on this.
Unfortunately, our government caused no small amount of confusion over this. The law originally required passports for everybody coming into the United States from a foreign country, but the Congress amended it just before it took effect to delay the requirement for arrival by land or by sea until next year.

As of right now, you need both (1) proof of identity and (2) proof of citizenship to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean (and Central America might also be in that mix). A valid passport meets both requirements, and is the only document that does so. If you don't have a passport, you can use any photo identification issued by a government agency (driver's license, voter identification card, military identification card, student identification issued by a public school or college, etc.) as proof of identity and either an official birth certificate (with seal -- NOT a hospital certificate), naturalization papers, or concilliar certificate of birth abroad as proof of citizenship if your cruise to these destinations ends in the United States.

That said, you should be aware that you may encounter more than a little difficulty if you need to fly home from a port of call due to some unforeseen situation and you do not have a passport. A U. S. embassy or consulate can issue a temporary passport that's valid for one entry into the United States, but the need to go to the consulate or embassy to obtain such a temporary passport would delay your return -- possibly by a day or two -- which undoubtedly is the last thing that you would want if you have a family emergency. Thus, it's best to get the passport if at all possible. Perhaps you'll get lucky and it will arrive a day or two before you leave for your cruise.

Norm.
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:26 PM
Passenger

Thank you Dan and Norm! I really appreicate the info!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank You, answered my question..I posted this same issue today.
Sensation '99, '04, '08
Triumph '99 & '03
Victory '00 & '02
Imagination '01
Fascination '05
Navigator Sept '05, Jan '09, Mar 10
Valor Aug 6, 2006, Sept 2010
Adventure 10/06
Elation Nov. 30 2006
Majesty OS June 8 2007
Glory Dec 07
Destiny 8/09, 10/11