Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:39 PM
Passenger

Default Warning - New identity requirements in US Ports

I sailed in January and something had changed since the last time I cruised. In US ports, they require photo ID to get onto the pier in order to re-board. In the past, your seapass was enough. Unfortunetly I only had my passport which is a pain if you are planning on going to the beach (and it doesn't even come close to fitting in your water wallet).
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Warning - New identity requirements in US Ports

michaelandJoanne,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I sailed in January and something had changed since the last time I cruised. In US ports, they require photo ID to get onto the pier in order to re-board. In the past, your seapass was enough. Unfortunetly I only had my passport which is a pain if you are planning on going to the beach (and it doesn't even come close to fitting in your water wallet).
This is a security measure that many port authorities, both here in the States and abroad, instituted in response to the "9/11" attack. Where it exists, it is not new.

The obvious concern is that terrorists could enter a port's pier area and set off some sort of device that would either do damage to the ship or injure or kill passengers waiting to reboard.

The shipboard security systems record a digital photo of every passenger at embarkation and compare that photo with a photo taken when you reboard. If the computer can't confirm a match, it alerts the operator and displays both for verification. Thus, the ship's personnel don't need a photo id to verify your identity because they already have it. Nonetheless, port authorities that restrict access to the pier to passengers, crew, and dock workers do not have access to the ship's computer system. Thus, they need a photo id to verify that the name on a cruise card matches the person who presents it. This measure prevents potential terrorists from using a stolen or lost cruise card to gain access to the pier.

Norm.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
Admiral

I have been asked for a picture ID along with the Ship Card several times recently. I was glad that the measure is in place.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
Passenger

I am glad too...I don't want just anyone to have full access to the ports and ships.

Jewel Of The Seas 04/01/2007

Majesty of the Seas 11/17/2003
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I'm glad they do this. I worked on Wall Street after 9/11. My office building overlooked The Pit. I saw enough in the months that followed.

I would rather be nagged 17 times for Photo ID then have one of those crazy nuts get close enough or on the ship & blow it up.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:02 PM
Passenger

This is why having a passport makes things very easy. They will be mandatory in Jan. 08 for cruising so everyone should think about getting one soon so they have one in plenty of time. Don't forget they are now required for airtravel and if you get sick or injured and need more medical aid than a ship can provide on an island or country out of the U.S. you would need a passport to fly home. The ship won't wait for you!
Explorer 10/07 B
Explorer 12/07
Explorer 1/08
Explorer 4/08