Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to toad
Default RC Customer Service?

Has anyone had any dealing with Royal Caribbean’s customer service? We are first time cruisers and our TA highly recommended RC for several reasons, and after researching several message boards, we agreed to go with RC. Since our original booking, I have been less than happy with some of RC's business decisions and wrote them a e-mail stating so. This was over 10 days ago, and other than a confirmation that my e-mail was received, I have heard nothing. We sail on 4/1/2207 and I am wondering if I need to become more persistent, or if a phone call is needed? My TA also contacted RC from her end, I do not know if she has heard anything back as of yet.
Thanks for any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:36 PM
First Mate

It has been our experience the Customer Service is Royal Caribbeans weak link. Indeed, it is basically non-existent.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Having only delt with a travel agent whenever booking, I can't comment on Royal Caribbean's customer service, but have had no problems with them once onboard.

Can you give us a general idea of what is the problem? May-be some posters can help.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Having only delt with a travel agent whenever booking, I can't comment on Royal Caribbean's customer service, but have had no problems with them once onboard.

Can you give us a general idea of what is the problem? May-be some posters can help.
Exactely what I was going to ask, my dear
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Familiar Face

Default RCCL customer service

Sure Donna and thanks for the feedback. As I stated, this is to be our first cruise, actually first ever spring break vacation for a family of 6. It has been motivated by our family weathering some job losses and other events that we decided warranted a “good? family get away. A TA friend recommended we look at a cruise, specifically RCCI, she convinced us they are the best family cruise line, as well as they have an excellent reputation. So we decided that is sounded great and proceeded to make a reservation. I was expecting some severance pay from my lost job employment, so even though with airfare we were looking at over $7700 total, we decided to tweak a couple things, change to inside cabins but yet still proceed and we paid our deposit. Well the severance was half of what was expected and along with various other minor setbacks, we were unable to get the remaining amount owed to our TA on time, although we did get her over $4,500. RCCL cancels our reservation without talking to her or us, just a middle of the night fax stating it was canceled and then a very worried call from our TA to us relaying the info. She then informed us that after much phone discussion it could be re-instated if we paid the total cost within two days. We then decided to drop the airfare portion and planned to use my flight benefits I got for being a former employee of a major airline and fly stby into Galveston. So then RCCL informs us that they are going to nail us for $75 a person equaling $450 to cancel the flights, all of this taking place over 50 days before the cruise departs. So without getting to long, to date my experience with RCCL has not been good. My biggest beef though is the lack of communication during and after all of this has happened.
But, with everything said, we are determined to make this an awesome get away regardless.
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sorry to say that what's likely to happen is the cruise line will tell you they can't even deal with your directly, and you'll have to contact the TA to let them handle it.

I will say that the TA should have been monitoring, and let you that the final payment was due, or coming due, before the final date. So, they are at the very least, partially responsible.

Cancellation without penalty would have been allowed up until 70 days prior to your cruise. Once that date passed, the penalties kick in... and thus why they charged you for dropping the air portion.

That said.... I'd call RCI customer service, rather than try and do this via e-mail. If you happen to get a sympathetic rep or surpervisor you MIGHT get some assistance dealing with the issue.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

OK Toad,
Sounds like some missing communication going on and you got left holding the bag. The T/A should of told you about changing/cancellation and when you final payment was due.

I'm sure your entire family will enjoy this much needed cruise and hopefully things look better and you can go again. I would always check the airfare yourselves, you can save and pick your own flights at the same time. Just something to remember next time. Once you first book and get a conformation from your T/A is should show the date of final payment, so you know any changes after that, those awful charges do kick in.

Have a wonderful time!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:17 PM
Familiar Face

Default Thank you

Thanks for the advice everyone. I did attempt to contact RCCL today via phone and while on hold was notified through a recorded message that I needed to give them up to three weeks to respond to my e-mail, so after 5 minutes on hold I decided to wait a bit longer. I do need to say in defense of my TA that she had been pretty up front with me all along about dates and what we needed to have paid. She also told me that in all of her years dealing with RCCL that they defintely dropped the ball with communicating this time. So my thoughts are, yes they do have policies and I understand the need for them, yet they for sure could have handled this better than they have so far and the $450 we are losing in airfare charges certainly hurts us as a family.
Again, thanks for the advice, I will continue my quest to have someone respond to me.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:54 AM
Captain

I cringed when I saw this topic because it is the express reason I found "CruiseMates" a few years back.

Two major things I can confirm, use your T/A as your arbitrator and forget about using the e-mail feature ( I love the written record but it is just not practical with "RCI" being so understaffed). You can succeed with this but IMHO, you need to show them you some humility. They didn't break the contract, you did. I don't mean that harshly either, just matter-of-fact so you don't lose perspective.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:04 AM
First Mate

yes, I just want to put my"2 cents" worth in. I agree with everyone that has responded so far, they are correct.

Yes, your TA should kept you "on top" of everthing of when your down payments were due, and your last payment.

I know you said you called RCCL and were put on hold. I don't know what number you used, but I used 1 800 398-9819, and they have always been very curtious with me.

I have been on this forum for quite some time, having problems with my TA, and everyone has been so good to back me up, to get me to put a "firecracker" under her, and it is amazing what has transpired since the beginning our booking our trip.

Yes, have a wonderful trip
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Passenger

I have had dealing with RCCL customer services in the UK on several occasions and always found that I got satisfaction - eventually! They do take a long time to answer emails and I suspect that with any problems they just send back standard emails.

However, I would suggest that whatever response you get you should follow up again. I have found that when I do this they take things a bit more serious.

As an example. I booked an inside cabin and paid fully. A few weeks later I decided to upgrade to a balcony but the upgrade cost was greater than the current difference between an interior and balcony. Seems I booked so early that I got a good price but because I was upgrading I had to pay the upgrade cost PLUS the savings I had made by booking early. Emails flowed back and forth and eventually I got them to agree to give me onboard credit for the difference.

So maybe you should ask for onboard credit for the $450 - as a sign of their good faith. You never know - it worked for me!

. Celebrity Millennium - Transatlantic Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale

. Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal - Fort Lauderdale To San Francisco

RCL Empress Of The Seas - Bermuda - September 2007
RCL - Legend Of The Seas - Transatlantic - April 2007
RCL Majesty Of The Seas - Caribbean - Christmas 2006
RCL Navigator Of The Seas - Caribbean - Sept 2004