Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:24 AM
First Mate

Default American Airlines

Has anyone ever flown American Airlines before? The reason I ask is I happened to turn the radio and I heard this man reading a report that someone had mailed him about AA's. It was about their beginning/ending of their trip on AA's, and they were

If you have, would you please give me your pro/cons of AA's. We will be using it for our flight to the Caribbean in April.
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default American Airlines

Hello brneyes,

To reply to your query, AA, I have flown them quite often from overseas to the United States and never had a problem other than lack of food on these flights.

What did the report say?

elf

Big Red Boat?
Carnival Jubilee
Carnival Valor
RCCL 2006
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 2007 - March
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2007 - November
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2008 - April
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Captain

Many flights with them and one coming up next month. Don't have anything great to say but nothing negative either.
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

American Airlines is no different than most other major carriers and actually better than others. You will find the same negative reports about all carriers as you will positive reports. It's basically the same as cruise lines.

I would have no qualms about using them. I have booked and used them on about a hundred flights over the last 15 years and overall they have been fine. Northwest is the carrier I use most often. The reason for this is that I live in the Minneapolis area and Minneapolis is a major hub for Northwest.

I also have two friends who are pilots with AA and know some of the internal workings of the airline and also have a neighbor who is a pilot with Northwest and based on the information I would choose AA over Northwest. Then again NW is in bankruptcy and AA is not.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Passenger

I have flown over 2 million miles on AA. Airlines today are interchangable IMO. No material difference between most. A BIG advantage of AA is that you can check your bags directly at the Port of Miami. This alone saves a tremendous amount of personal "wear & tear" on your return trip.

You won't have any problems. Enjoy & Stay Well!!
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I've been with them since 1981 & have my FF account registered with them.

On all the countless flights I've had on them (including a week after 9/11), they have never lost my luggage (domestic/international), they are practicially never late for leaving/arriving at gates.

The food was good until it went to this snack stuff, but hey, they are all doing it.

They are a fine airline - one of the Top 3. You won't have any problems with them.
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:55 PM
First Mate

Oh my, thank you for the "positive's" you have given me on American Airlines.

As to the report, just briefly. I was not able to hear it all, but the letter stated that coming/going there was a fat (that was the word they used) lady on the isle, and she (it sounded like they had given their seats to someone else, and had notified the stewart, but the steward would not do anything about it), and she would not get up or moved for them to slide by.

Then which we hear quite often, they lost part of their luggage for two days, and got it back, when they were coming home.

I just hope what you all said, DOES prove out. I'm going to do some PRAYING too.
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Actually, AA is my first choice of an airline to use. I find their flight schedule more to what I usually need. Have not had any major problems with them, I think you'll be fine.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM
First Mate

Donna, you are very encouraging , hopefully you are right. All I have read is negative, negatiave, negataive about that airline. I did read that they do not give out pretzels, peanuts, or etc. anymore. This is fine. I'll just have to do a LOT of gum chewing.

I'm going to think positive , and not let my friend know what I have read, and as I've said before......do a lot of PRAYING
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brneyes
Donna, you are very encouraging , hopefully you are right. All I have read is negative, negatiave, negataive about that airline. I did read that they do not give out pretzels, peanuts, or etc. anymore. This is fine. I'll just have to do a LOT of gum chewing.

I'm going to think positive , and not let my friend know what I have read, and as I've said before......do a lot of PRAYING
AA is my preferred domestic carrier and have been with them for many years as a frequent flyer with 3 million miles. I fly AA as I have status on the carrier and it mostly goes where I want to.

If you don't have status on any of the airline, I would pick based on price, number of intermediate connections, and frequency. For MIA, this would be AA based non-stop flights and frequency as it is their major hub for service to the caribbean and south america. I am not sure, however, if they would be the least expensive.

My least favorite domestic carrier is Delta because of the congestion in Altanta - although I haven't been there since the new runway opened - and the seat pitch on their flights seems to be the worst of any of the major network carriers.

Airline service has gone down over the years but so have the prices! Remeber that air travel, unless you are in first or business class, on an international flight is just like riding the bus. I think you'll be fine on AA but I would say the same thing about any of the majors.