Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Passenger

Default Cruising in November

Unfortunately, I may have to switch my August Mariner cruise for one in November. My son, who plays football, has a game scheduled for the week I picked and the other summer cruise times are much more than I can afford. I see that the Mariner has an Eastern cruise offered on November 25. Since the cruise was really about my children (17 and 12) I wondered what the cruise atmosphere is like in the late November time period. It's important to me that there are plenty of other kids/teens on board. Does anyone have input?
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Just a seat of the pants opinion - being it is the week after Thanksgiving, I wouldn't think that that would be a prime week for kids on a cruise. But - some people opt for that time because prices are usually lower for those few weeks so it is a mixed bag.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Passenger

Any other input from anyone else?
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The week after Thanksgiving you're not likely to find very many teens onboard. That's not to say yours wouldn't have a good time anyway, but they probably won't find much company in their age group.

There are some excellent deals available for Thanksgiving week though, if you look around. And that week there will be LOTS of families on most ships.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Admiral

I agree that there may not be alot of kids during that timeframe
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Passenger

Awww, that's hisheartening. I don't know what to do at this point.
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Admiral

evolutiondob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Awww, that's hisheartening. I don't know what to do at this point.
The best option would be to switch it to a time when more teens are likely to be aboard (earlier in the summer, Thanksgiving week, the school break over Christmas and New Year's Day, or the period from the middle of February through the end of April).

But if you can't do switch your cruise to one of those times, go anyway. Most cruises at other times do have a few school-age children because (1) some parents elect "home school" programs. (2) some school districts, predominantly in southern California, have split their schools (both students and teachers) into three sections with a staggered quarterly rotation, so that one section is always on vacation, so that their facilities can serve 50% more students, and (3) some parents will allow their children to skip school for the trip because they think that the cruise has at least equal educational value. And even if not, there will be plenty for your children to do aboard the ship. They will be quite welcome at most of the activities on the adult schedule, so long as they conduct themselves in an appropriate manner. Also, they will get a lot more attentoin from the ship's youth and teen counsellors, who will be have a schedule of activities for them, than would be possible on a cruise with a lot of youth and teens.

But in the latter scenario, it would be good to discuss the fact that there might not be other children of their age aboard the ship due to the time of year. If your children anticipate the "worst case" scnario, they will be pleasantly surprised to find couple others in their age groups rather than disappointed to find only a couple others of their age groups.

Norm.
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Passenger

Norm,

Thanks for your advice. I have looked into early summer (June), Thanksgiving and Christmas, and unfortunately the cruiselines are definitely hip to the fact that families cruise during this time so the prices are really high. My initial reservation was for August 26 through September 1 and my total coast was only a little under $2,000.00. The seven day cruises in June are coming in at $2,800-$2,900. My budget is a little tight, especially since I have to pay for airline ticket for three people. Well, I settled on November 18 which is the week of Thanksgiving at a cost of about $2,800, but when I started looking for airfare the average is about $400 per ticket!! Honestly, I cannot afford to pay that much.

So, I guess I will let them know that there will likely be no other kids on board their age if we go on November 25 or try to talk my son into skipping a game and keeping our original August 26 date. Outside of that, looks like we may not be going this year.
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Beginner

Most of my cruises have been the week after Thanksgiving BECAUSE there are less kids at that time. While kids are great, I would rather be surrounded by 300 instead of 1,000. So, to answer your question, the week after Thanksgiving would probably not be your best bet for the kids.