CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Military Discount (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/330028-military-discount.html)

Nereida March 16th, 2007 10:29 PM

Military Discount

I'm planning a cruise to the Bahamas on Majesty of the Seas. My sister is in the Army reserve, and was able to get a military discount on Carnival last year. But, she just called Royal Caribbean to ask about the military discount they have and she was told by a not very pleasant person on the phone, that the military discount offered is only for those who are in active duty or retired.

My sister tells me she doesn't believe that. Can anybody give me any insight as to how this discount works? How could Royal Caribbean know if the person is active or in the reserve since they only ask for a military ID?

Thanks!

sapphyre March 17th, 2007 12:40 AM

As I understand it, it states on the ID whether you are active duty or not. Point your browser to the royal caribbean website, go to the FAQs under the Customer Service tab, and choose Special Cruise Pricing.Then choose the option for military personell.

Rev22:17 March 17th, 2007 01:52 AM

Re: Military Discount

Nereida,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
I'm planning a cruise to the Bahamas on Majesty of the Seas. My sister is in the Army reserve, and was able to get a military discount on Carnival last year. But, she just called Royal Caribbean to ask about the military discount they have and she was told by a not very pleasant person on the phone, that the military discount offered is only for those who are in active duty or retired.

My sister tells me she doesn't believe that. Can anybody give me any insight as to how this discount works? How could Royal Caribbean know if the person is active or in the reserve since they only ask for a military ID?

Thanks!

Most military discounts are for "active duty" and "retired" members only, and reservists qualify only when on active duty.

And the form on military ID cards is printed in green ink for active duty, red for reserve, orange IIRC for retired, and black for dependents so the member's status is immediately obvious to those who know the color code. It's also reinforced by wording on the card itself.

Norm.

skymaster March 17th, 2007 09:23 AM

Norm is right, about RCI, however Carnival and Costa will offer the military discount if you have a DD214 showing at lease 2 years of service, and an honorable discharge. I would think your sisters ID card would allow the discount as well, but it might be best to call CCL and ask them.
Have a great cruise, and thank your sister for her service!

Ken

Nereida March 17th, 2007 03:38 PM

Thanks, everybody!!!