Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Passenger

Default Why are suites on the highest decks??

I read on another thread that there is less motion on the lower decks in the center of the ship.
If there is less motion on the ship on the lower decks, Why are the most expensive suites always on the upper decks? Also, as the rooms go up the ship, in every catagory, they seem more expensive.
I have only done one other cruise, so my knowledge is limited to a Carnival suite (imagination), on the highest deck of rooms, up in the very front.
I have booked the Royal family suite this time on the Liberty of the Sea. It is on the Ninth deck at the very back of the ship. It does have a huge balcony.
Is there a difference in the front or back of the ship in how the ship rides?

Royal Caribeans Liberty of the Sea
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I read on another thread that there is less motion on the lower decks in the center of the ship.
If there is less motion on the ship on the lower decks, Why are the most expensive suites always on the upper decks?
It's one of thiose DUH moments. Seems people think higher up is better, so the cruise lines have basically priced their cabins that way.

On many ships the suites are not on the highest decks, and are also located mid ships, so not everyone has bought into it.

Personally, I enjoy being on the stern of the ship, and really don't care for cabins close to the bow (front).
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Passenger

So the stern is the back and the bow is the front?
I will be good on the LOS on the very back facing the white wash (stern?) of the ship in the RFS? Did that make sense? OK I admit I AM A BLONDE!

Old March 17th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Captain

Default Suites on Higher Decks

Well, a balcony on deck three would be pretty scary in rough weather.

In my humble opinion (well, I've really never had a HUMBLE opinion), it's a class distinction thing. Higher on the ship equates to the penthouse apartment in the building.

We always get a balcony cabin, but have only have a suite a couple of times. What is important to us is the location of the cabin relative to the bow/stern. We like the cabins that are mid-ship. We're doing our first aft cabin in October, so we may change our minds.
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Passenger

pooterdad...
I agree with the 3rd floor issue...
I am on the 9th floor in the Royal Family Suite on the new Liberty of the Sea. I am hoping this is a good location.
I cruised on Carnival Imagination in a suite top floor all the way in the front. I was nice. I know that if you were on the other side of the ship you would have never seen the islands, at sea at all, because the ship went one way around Cuba to Jamaica and the other way around Cuba to Cayman and home. So the other side of the ship would always face ocean only. I was hoping in the back of the ship you would always get great view from balcony.
I will miss the front of the ship for the watching of flying fish as the ship cuts through the ocean. I could sit on my balcony and watch flying fish for a hours.

Old March 17th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Captain

Default Cabin Location

Well, I guess if you are in the Royal Family Suite, that says it all..........

Old March 17th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Admiral

When you check into your suite and see how big and beautiful it is and then realize that you are on one of the biggset ships in the world I don't think it's going to matter much if you're stern, bow, midships, port or starboard. You have a great package enjoy it to the max. I personally enjoy JS port side midships on the hump. Enjoy.

Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Jewel OTS 3/2016
Harmony OTS 12/2016
Serenade OTS 12/2016
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Passenger

OK What is port side???

Old March 18th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Captain

Default Port Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical-cowgirl
OK What is port side???
Port = left
Starboard = right

Remember that port and left each have four letters.
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Passenger

Thanks I get it now!

Old March 18th, 2007, 02:51 PM
First Mate

Hi all,

My room is 1314 mid at bump out on 10th deck, what side of the ship am I on. And does any one know if this is the side that will face the islands when at dock? And is this a good side?

Thanks,
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Passenger

It depends which way the ship goes for the trip. We went to Jamaica then Cayman. I was on the Port side front. Hey I am getting the hang of this!

Old March 18th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal
Hi all,

My room is 1314 mid at bump out on 10th deck, what side of the ship am I on. And does any one know if this is the side that will face the islands when at dock? And is this a good side?

Thanks,
If you are on a "Voyager" class ship: Voyager of the Seas, Navigator, Mariner, you would be on the starboard (right) side of the ship, in an Owner's Suite. If this side is "better" for viewing the islands is actually the luck of the draw. It depends on your itinerary, if your ship has priority for docking etc. Basically it's 50/50 whether you will get a better view than the port side.

If you are not on a Voyager class ship then your cabin location is a moot point but the chance of island viewing is still valid.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:08 PM
First Mate

Thanks, I will be on the Explorer. Itinerary is, Burmuda, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and puerto Rico
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
If there is less motion on the ship on the lower decks,
The least amount of motion is at the center of gravity of the ship, which is most likely to be near the waterline, and an inner cabin amidship.

The actual center of gravity is actually slightly below the waterline, but most passengers do not want to be down with the crew (or, do they?). Fortunately for me and my significant other, we really like being down in the bilges, where the cost is lowest and motion minimal (if you can feel it at all). We live near the ocean, so seeing water is not really a novelty.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
First Mate

Default A few more thoughts

Better cabins....up high...within one deck of the action...pool...wndjammer...etc.etc.etc.

Also:

Aft...towards the Stern of the Ship
Forward...towards the bow of the ship

Head: any toilet

Galley: the kitchen

Smiling: my wife and I on any RCI or Celebrity cruise.
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Passenger

I just had one of those suites, and LOVED IT! The view of the ports is wonderful from the higher floors. The suite was so aft, if we were any further aft, we would have been in the water. ;-) The huge balcony was super too. Enough room to move around, and have friends over.

The ships are so large now, I don't think there is near as much difference in forward, mid or aft as there was in the old days.

Over the years, I've been so low I had to look up to see bottom, the most forward, the most aft and a few in the middle. What now makes the difference is the sunlight! My first few were inside cabins, then I got a port hole and saw the light. Once I had a real window, I couldn't even dream of going back to the port hole. Then I did something real bad... I booked a balcony. ;-)