Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
First Mate

Default Passports

What is the deal on passports. My family has them and we will be traveling in August 07. We are bringing a friend at that friend does not have one. Am I gonna incur any problems with this?

Does anyone know.

All help appreciated.......thank you
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:54 PM
First Mate

If you are cruising the Caribbean or Canada, you they are fine till the end of this year.

Check out the official passport website: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:29 AM
Passenger

Your friend will not be allowed to board without a passport. Last year we sailed on the Brillance & my 5 year old was told she couldn't board. It was 1:00 - the ship was sailing at 5:00 - we were in Miami & it was a Friday (trans-atlantic cruise - no next port for a week). We took a cab to the passport offices & managed to get my daughter a Passport in 3 hours & made it on the ship (thank God because I would be divorced right about now). I did call RCCL BEFORE the cruise & SPECIFICALLY asked if my 5 yr old needed a passport - they said"not if BOTH parents are with her & you have her birthcertificate." Obviously not the case. Then I was informed that you need a passport for EVERY RCCL cruise.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:33 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupdiva
Your friend will not be allowed to board without a passport.
I completely disagree! Check out the laws.

Unless the cruiseline mandates that they have passports, she will be fine with a certified birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

Here is what is on RCI's website:

"Domestic Travel For domestic travel which includes: the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico, a passport (valid or expired) is highly recommended.
In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original or a certified copy), plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency is required.
A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship.
Children under 16 years of age do not require a picture ID. "
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:36 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Your friend will not be allowed to board without a passport. Last year we sailed on the Brillance & my 5 year old was told she couldn't board. It was 1:00 - the ship was sailing at 5:00 - we were in Miami & it was a Friday (trans-atlantic cruise - no next port for a week). We took a cab to the passport offices & managed to get my daughter a Passport in 3 hours & made it on the ship (thank God because I would be divorced right about now). I did call RCCL BEFORE the cruise & SPECIFICALLY asked if my 5 yr old needed a passport - they said"not if BOTH parents are with her & you have her birthcertificate." Obviously not the case. Then I was informed that you need a passport for EVERY RCCL cruise.
Did RCCl give you some compensation for this mis information i hope..??
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:36 AM
Passenger

Not what I have been told - I believe they recently changed this - your friend has plenty of time to get a passport - better safe than sorry!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:42 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEDOM OFTHESEAS07
Quote:
Did RCCl give you some compensation for this mis information i hope..??
Ditto!

I cannot believe the stress you must have been under! Shame on that person who made you do this.
Mark Twain

Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:44 AM
Passenger

RCCL was completely rude & could care less. As a matter of fact the man who ran the boarding area specifically told me "there is no way to get your daughter a passport by sailing time". Thank God my mother (who I called hysterically crying) said "ignore him - get your butt over to the passport offices & see if you can have a rush one made". I thought SHE was nuts & just trying to be helpful - if I had listened to him I would have given up & never even tried. My mom screaming at me to "go right now" is what saved our cruise. When we boarded the ship we called the guy on the # he provided & he COULD NOT BELIEVE WE WERE ON THE SHIP. He even came on board to meet us by the gang plank. I gave him a good "what for" & told him that HE should have known what my mother knew & she has nothing to do with the travel industry. It was a nightmare - my poor daugther looks shell-shocked in her passport photo - she was crying - as was I on the way to the passport offices - it was a real mess. I had every intention of writing a long letter but the cruise was a 14 day cruise to Madrid, Funchal, VilleFranche, Monte Carlo - by the time we got back the anger was gone replaced by wonderful memories & I never did write that letter.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:47 AM
First Mate

Quote:
RCCL was completely rude & could care less. As a matter of fact the man who ran the boarding area specifically told me "there is no way to get your daughter a passport by sailing time". Thank God my mother (who I called hysterically crying said "ignore him - get your butt over to the passport offices & see if you can have a rush one made". I thought SHE was nuts & just trying to be helpful - if I had listened to him I would have given up & never even tried. My mom screaming at me to "go right now" is what saved our cruise. When we boarded the ship we called the guy on the # he provided & he COULD NOT BELIEVE WE WERE ON THE SHIP. He even came on board to meet us by the gang plank. I gave him a good "what for" & told him that HE should have known what my mother knew & she has nothing to do with the travel industry. It was a nightmare - my poor daugther looks shell-shocked in her passport photo - she was crying - as was I on the way to the passport offices - it was a real mess. I had every intention of writing a long letter but the cruise was a 14 day cruise to Madrid, Funchal, VilleFranche, Monte Carlo - by the time we got back the anger was gone replaced by wonderful memories & I never did write that letter.
Oh, you were traveling to Europe! Now I see why you needed one.

I am so sorry that you didn't realize your DD needed a passport, and you had to go through this. How absolutely stressful! I hope your cruise ended up being a great one!
Mark Twain

Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Passports

Royal,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
What is the deal on passports. My family has them and we will be traveling in August 07. We are bringing a friend at that friend does not have one. Am I gonna incur any problems with this?

Does anyone know.

All help appreciated.......thank you
Legally, you can reenter the United States by land or by sea with alternate documentation consisting of both (1) proof of citizenship (birth cerificate, naturalization papers, etc.) and (2) proof of identity (driver's license, military ID card, voter registration card, or other official photo identification). However, the process of clearing immigration is much simpler if you have a passport. Thus, the cruise lines strongly recommend that all passengers travel on a valid passport.

The real rub, though, is if some sort of emergency forces your friend to leave the ship in a foreign port and fly home from there. The U. S. government now requires a passport for all passengers entering the United States from any foreign county, including Canada and Mexico, by air. A U. S. embassy or consulate can issue a temporary passport valid for one entry into the United States, but obtaining one would be an extra hassle that one clearly does not need in the midst of an emergency dictating that one needs to leave the ship in the middle of the cruise.

My recommendation to your friend is to apply for a passport immediately. The process is quite easy and there's plenty of time to get it for August even with the additional delays due to the backlog at the passport office, which may grow worse before it improves.

Norm.