Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:42 PM
First Mate

Default Luggage - locks

Question in regard to checking in luggage at the airport.

When I go to pick up my ticket and I give my luggage to the customer service rep, do I leave my luggage unlocked, or when going into the airport, does my luggage go through security first, and then I pick up my ticket?

I just don't want anyone breaking into my luggage.
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Go to Target and get some TSA approved locks. They are approved for air travel. Lock the bags. If TSA needs to get into them them have a key or combo to use.

Don't use non-approved TSA locks. They will be cut off.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Passenger

Your best bet is to buy TSA approved locks. This way you can lock your bags.
These locks will keep the ramp rats out, and TSA has a master key to open the lock, and will re-lock your bag after inspection.

Basic locks are $6 to $10 each and for about $15 you can get one that has a little window on it that will let you know if TSA opened it.

Also a lot of larger airports have shrink wrap service. The cost is a few dollars per case, but does keep the bad guys out. If TSA desides to inspect, the will cut the plastic, but then tape it back together with "TSA tape".
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

On my last trip I used new TSA locks. They opened my lugguage and kept the locks. This was the first time I have locked my luggage in long time, and the last.
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

No point in locking your luggage. If security has to go through it, they'll break the locks or as the others posted, they'll keep them.

There's nothing really valuable in your luggage & considering the hundreds of thousands of bags that have to be moved at a fast clip, your stuff won't be stolen. Anything of value (jewels, $$, etc) should never be packed in your suitcase. Bring it with you on the plane.
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Admiral

I don't lock my suitacases when I fly -- I figure it is a waste of time. On one of my cruises, I forgot to lock the suitcases, where it is suggested that they BE locked.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Admiral

It is about a 1 in 100,000 shot that TSA will break a TSA approved lock or steal it. LV really screens bags and it is not unusual for TSA to open at least one of your bags.

After our last cruise, I have several thousand dollars worth of "stuff" that I bought. There was no way I could carry all that stuff on the plane. It filled a full size soft sided bag. There are carry-on restrictions imposed by all airlines. Inconsiderate folks hog the bins trying to stuff all their junk in there.

Just lock and check it.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Passenger

TSA locks were not a problem. In fact, the cruise line actually suggest that you lock your luggage prior to placing them out side your stateroom on the last night.

The suggest that you have your bags outside your state room starting at 7PM the last night. Many of the bags are still out side the staterooms until 2AM the next day. After you disembark, you will find all of your luggage in one room arranged by colored tags. I would hate to have someone place something in my bags prior to clearing customs or have someone steal something from my bags.
Monarch of the Seas (RCCL) 3/01 -Southern Caribbean
Song of America (RCCL) 10/90 -Western Caribbean
MTS Jupiter (Epirotiki) 7/84 -Mediterranean
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Brneyes: I think you get the message. Buy the TSA approved locks. Lock your bags before you even get to the airport. Buy a couple of extras and pack them. Lock your bags before placing them in the corridor on the last night of the cruise to ensure no one gets in.

And forget about it after that. You have more important things to think of...like your cruise
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:16 PM
First Mate

Default TSA locks

Thank you everyone for responding back to my delima.

Even though I have read pro/con in regard to locking the luggage, I think I will.

Here is my question. I understand you can buy them at Target. Is that the "only" store that carries them? If not, what other "named" stores can I find the locks at Also when I go to look for them, what do they look like . I have no clue
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: TSA locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brneyes
Thank you everyone for responding back to my delima.

Even though I have read pro/con in regard to locking the luggage, I think I will.

Here is my question. I understand you can buy them at Target. Is that the "only" store that carries them? If not, what other "named" stores can I find the locks at Also when I go to look for them, what do they look like . I have no clue
Brneyes: check out the TSA website about locks: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ant/locks.shtm

I have seen these at any store that carries luggage or travel items.
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Admiral

I said Target because that is where I bought mine. Just about any store like that will have them as well (as scoop said) luggage stores.

They now have the combo ones if you are prone to loosing keys.

Old March 28th, 2007, 05:50 PM
First Mate

Default TSA locks

Steve, thank you for sending me the website to find out where these locks are located.

It took some doings, as most people do not know what they are or what they look like.

I found a couple places close to home that have them now, so hopefully over the weekend, I can pick some up.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

You're welcome I also remembered that if you forget or run out of time, you can also find them at the gift shop in most airports.

Steve
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Passenger

You can now get them most anywhere that sells luggage, most discount stores (Target, Wal-mart...), online eBags also sells both types. If you plan to buy them local, you may wish to call the store first to see if they are in stock. With Spring break, and the vacation season fixing to start, they maybe sold out.

Also I will give you a pair of little suggestions, first don't forget your combination, I suggest setting all of the locks with the same combination. Second some locks will slip by a digit. If your lock refuses to open when you get there, the odds are it will be the last wheel will has slipped. This happened to me last year, and when I called hotel maintenance to assist me with opening it... he turned me on to the glitch. (I was far from the first to have the problem, according to him) Simply try opening moving the last wheel one digit down, if still locked, one digit up.

Well time for me to start packing, I'm leaving in a couple of days for my cruise. ;-)
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Passenger

Default luggage locks

Use the TSA locks and keep your luggage locked at all times.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
First Mate

Hello, well I am "working" :evil: with a TSA lock, and getting nowhere. As far as I know I am following instructions, and this is what they say to do:

On the end of the lock, align the windows to zero. Then turn the hasp 90 degrees, sliping/pressing (holding down) it into the slot, putting in your combination numbers. Then turn the hasp to it's original position, and push down to lock. Well it won't lock. Any suggestions???

I just spoke to one of the guys (lawer) who works here, and he tells me he never locks his luggage, but just don't put anything valuable into it.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Passenger

I also bought mine at Target. You can find them in the luggage aisle but I went to the aisle where the carry all types of locks. I found a four pack master lock set that was brass for a good deal.
Monarch of the Seas (RCCL) 3/01 -Southern Caribbean
Song of America (RCCL) 10/90 -Western Caribbean
MTS Jupiter (Epirotiki) 7/84 -Mediterranean