Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:25 PM
First Mate

Default Water bottle size

I just bought a bottle of water in the 33oz size.

Does anyone know if I can take it (empty) though the gate, fill it with water, and board the airline, or is it too large?
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Yes, you can do that. But why? The airline will give you all the water that you want for free.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

And unless you know the purity of the airport drinking fountain, or worse yet the restroom, it is not worth the risk of catching some bugs from refilling a water bottle past security.

When travelling, it's best to buy a bottle of water at the gate, OR follow Irish's suggestion: ask the flight attendant for a bottle of water on board.

But...for the ship, DO take an empty on board. Or 2 or 3. Fill them and chill them in your cabin fridge. The water on board is the purest and best tasting anywhere.
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Passenger

Default AVOID WATER ON BOARD IF POSSIBLE

Actually alot of ships have had problems with the Norovirus:

"We describe an investigation of a norovirus gastroenteritis outbreak aboard a cruise ship affecting 6 consecutive cruises and the use of sequence analysis to determine modes of virus transmission. Noroviruses (NoV), are the most common cause of infectious acute gastroenteritis and are transmitted feco-orally through food and water, directly from person to person and by environmental contamination (1). These viruses are often responsible for protracted outbreaks in closed settings, such as cruise ships, nursing homes, and hospitals "

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol11no01/04-0434.htm

So I would not fill from the sink - we actually do not drink anything other than bottled water on our cruises & even keep a bottle for brushing our teeth.
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:24 PM
First Mate

Ok, I guess that is a good idea too. I'll try to get some bottled water from the airline person as I have to take medicine while in flight.

The reason I mentioned about getting water from the fountain is, the bottled water is so expensive (I think) at the airport.
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:39 PM
First Mate

Default Re: AVOID WATER ON BOARD IF POSSIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupdiva
Actually alot of ships have had problems with the Norovirus:
I usually stick my head in the sink and suck the water right out of the faucet, is that wrong ?
"We describe an investigation of a norovirus gastroenteritis outbreak aboard a cruise ship affecting 6 consecutive cruises and the use of sequence analysis to determine modes of virus transmission. Noroviruses (NoV), are the most common cause of infectious acute gastroenteritis and are transmitted feco-orally through food and water, directly from person to person and by environmental contamination (1). These viruses are often responsible for protracted outbreaks in closed settings, such as cruise ships, nursing homes, and hospitals "

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol11no01/04-0434.htm

So I would not fill from the sink - we actually do not drink anything other than bottled water on our cruises & even keep a bottle for brushing our teeth.
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Water bottle size

Quote:
Originally Posted by brneyes

Does anyone know if I can take it (empty) though the gate, fill it with water, and board the airline, or is it too large?
They will confiscate it at the entry way. No to liquids to carry on an airplane.
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Water bottle size

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtown
Quote:

They will confiscate it at the entry way. No to liquids to carry on an airplane.
Not true.

After clearing security, travelers can now bring beverages and other items purchased in the secure boarding area on-board aircraft.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:17 PM
First Mate

When I bring the "empty" water bottle in (it says water on the bottle) through secuirty, I guess time will tell what I am going to be up against.
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
When I bring the "empty" water bottle in (it says water on the bottle) through secuirty, I guess time will tell what I am going to be up against.
"When flying, you are not allowed to take drinks through security. However, those that are purchased after going through security are allowed to be taken onto the plane with you, but they are quite expensive. You are allowed to take an empty water or soda bottle through security with you, simply fill it at the water fountain later and "voila" , you have a free bottle of water to get you to your destination, or buy a cheaper large bottle and divide it among your friends or family into their empty bottles! "

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf21332651.tip.html

And another one ....

http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question...7160511AAbpccB

Think about it. If you can buy water after the security check point and carry it on the plane, then why would you not be able to fill an EMPTY bottle with water?