Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:58 AM
Passenger

Default can I bring a travel iron?

It's me again!
I think I read somewhere that irons are not allowed, but all of my clothing is cotton, and will be a wrinkled mess! Can I bring a small travel iron, and if so, do I need any special electrical cord converter or extension cord? (I read somewhere else that you should bring a small extension strip outlet thing, but I have no idea why I would need one!)

Karen
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

For safety reasons no irons are allowed. There is only 1 or 2 electrical outlets in the cabin....so some people bring a extension strip to recharge batteries, portable dvd player, hair dryer etc.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Captain

"Downy Wrinkle Release" is a cruisers best bud in this regard! We use our own travel size spray bottle and no longer bring travel iron or steamer. I think they have it nationwide now.
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Admiral

If you try to bring an iron aboard, they may even confiscate it and return it to you when you return from the cruise. Very dangerous!

Ken
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Some of the ships have laundry facilities and an iron is located there. Also the ships laundry service is not very expensive. Just ask your room steward about it.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Admiral

I really don't care about how the clothes come out anymore. I do try to pack to minimize the wrinkles. The first day, all that stuff goes in a bag and off to the ship's laundry for a pressing. The ones that are not too bad are taken to the laundry room (If the ship has one; not on RCI) for a quick self-press.

Best $20 - 40 that I spend on a cruise.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old April 7th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Karen...I think you get the picture. NO irons allowed. It poses a huge fire hazard on board. Not that you'd do anything like forget to leave it plugged in and leave your cabin, but others might.

There are many good solutions to the age old wrinkle problem. Portable Steamers, wrinkle release products that you spray on, hanging your clothes in the bathroom during a shower, etc.

Most of my stuff is also cotton, and I've found very few wrinkles when unpacking on board. I also have all my cotton shirts laundered with light starch at our local dry cleaners, so this really reduces wrinkles from packing. My wife has no problem with wrinkled dresses, but most of them are not cotton.

I'd also suggest sending out anything really wrinkled to the ship's laundry. You can have a "press only" for only a few bucks and get it back the next day.

Good luck, Steve
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Passenger

We always bring a small steamer and it works great even on jeans! Get them from Walmart or Kmart for about $21.00

I also agree with RCscoop, the cleaners onboard is very reasonable...ex, to launder and press a shirt is $2.50--less expensive then the cleaners around the corner from our home.

Also, except for a few things here and there, we never had any issues with wrinkles either and only had to break out the steamer once a cruise.
Irons onboard is not a good idea for the reasons others stated--heck, I don't even care for the ones that smoke in their rooms

Jewel Of The Seas 04/01/2007

Majesty of the Seas 11/17/2003
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Beginner

Default Travel Iron

Hi, I totally agree with what the others have said about the risk of fires and stuff. I just wanted you to know that I have always traveled with my full size iron, never have hid it, and have never had any problems. In fact the room stewards usually wrap up the cord, like they do for curling irons. I never thought about sending my stuff out for pressing. I might try that this time, since I am flying cross country and there is a weight limit on luggage. The Downey Wrinkle spray does work wonderfully and you can get it in the sample section at Walmart or Target for about $1.50. I highly recommend a small 6 ft. extention cord. You will use it for sure.