Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:15 PM
Passenger

Default Another Dunns River Falls question...

Is it worth booking the excursion if you don't plan to climb the falls?? My kids are young (4, 9, 11), and though I am sure the older two would be fine, I know the little one can't do it. If it's even the slightest bit risky, I don't want the older ones doing it either (I am a pediatric nurse, and the thought of having to get stitches or go to the hospital for any other reason on a Caribbean island freaks me out!).
So is there anything else to do there? Could you just do the tour, but not actually do the climb?

Thanks in advance!
Karen
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

There is also a staircase that goes all the way up the side of the falls and places where you can get off if you'd rather just walk up the stairs.

I suppose you could take a cab there and just take a look, but never heard of anyone going and not climbing. It really isn't that hard and you hold hands all the way up, its also guided throughout.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Admiral

i totally agree with Donna. There is always a helping hand during the climb, there are "outways" along the falls if you don't want to contine the climb and there is the stairway all alongside the falls. If you want to book i tour i would highly recommend using Peat Taylor he pretty much does what you want to do.
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Admiral

I have used Peat Taylor tours in Jamaica and they are very good. Bob
Old April 7th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Karen and welcome to CM: I've done Dunn's River Falls a few times. I can understand your hesitation with doing this with young kids. You don't mention if any other adults will be taking this tour, or just you and your 3 kids. It would be best if you had one more adult to help the younger ones. Basically, the "climb" is climbing up natural steps in the limestone with cascading water. It's a bit of a challenge, but well worth it.

As Donna and the others said, you can exit at various points along the climb up from the beach. I think because we've seen many elderly folks successfully make it up, your kids will be fine, as long as you have one more adult in your group. As for other choices that include Dunn's River Falls, check out RCI's website: here's a link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...cationCode=OCJ

Have fun, Steve[/code]