Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Beginner

Default Civitavecchia - Rome On Own / Sorrento and Capri

Hello

Has anyone done the Rome Excursion on their Own? It is alot cheaper than the cruise excursion.

I have heard the train service is excellent and the station is about 10 minutes from the Port.

Also, anyone done the ferry and train on Own for the Sorrento and Capri tour?

Again it is alot cheaper to do it on you own.....

Regards
LAura
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Admiral

Rome I might be a little concerned about with missing the ship if anything went wrong.

For Capri, no problem getting off the ship in Sorrento, buying your own ticket on the ferry to Capri, and then hiring a tax once on Capri. Last time, we took the ship's tour but found out later that doing on your own is so much easier.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Civitavecchia - Rome On Own / Sorrento and Capri

Laura,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Has anyone done the Rome Excursion on their Own? It is alot cheaper than the cruise excursion.
Yes, it's a lot cheaper -- and for good reason! Basically, the excursion called "Rome on Your Own" consists of round trip bus transportation between the pier in Civitavecchia and downtown Rome. Upon arrival in Rome, the "guide" gives a brief orientation and directions as to where and when to meet for the return trip, then sets you loose for the day. Whatever you do while in Rome is out of your pocket. By contrast, the other tours include all admissions to the attractions that they visit, transportation between all the attractions, and, in most cases, lunch at a local restaurant in Rome.

If you want to visit the attractions in Rome, I strongly recommend taking a shore excursion that visits the attractions that you want to see. The major attractions usually have very long queues -- often two or three hours -- for general admission, so you'll spend a lot of time waiting in line if you attempt to visit them on your own. The ship's excursions have reserved group tours of the attractions, conducted in English, so they bypass the queues for general admission and go right in. The "... on Your Own" tours are great for people who have already seen the city's major attractions and basically want to spend the day shoppig, strolling through the parks, relaxing in sidewalk cafes, or visiting friends who happen to live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have heard the train service is excellent and the station is about 10 minutes from the Port.
If you really want to spend time on your own in Rome, do the "Rome on Your Own" shore excursion. This transportation is totally seamless, and timed to provide the most time that you can spend there based upon the ship's schedule. Also, you won't be spending money on taxis between the pier, which is in an industrial port, and the train station that probably would exceed any savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Also, anyone done the ferry and train on Own for the Sorrento and Capri tour?
The ferry to Capri is right next to the pier where the cruise ships dock, so it's quite easy to catch the ferry. Upon arrival on the isle of Capri, there's a cablecar from the ferry landing to the city of Capri at the top of the hill. It's somewhat more difficult to get to other parts of the island and other attractions, to which you probably would have to take taxis.

I can't speak of Sorrento because I have not been there, but I strongly recommend choosing one ot the three major destinations (Capri, Sorrento, or Pompeii) and leaving the other two for another time. All three are worth a full day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Again it is alot cheaper to do it on you own.....
Again, for good reason! You get tat for which you pay.

Norm.
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM
First Mate

The easy answer is def. do the "rome on your own". Rome is an easy city to find your way around if you come prepared.

When you arrive on the bus, I would suggest following the schedule as it worked out awesome for us:

1. The bus will drop you off at the Vatican, once you get there find a cab to take to you to the Collesum, it's a 10 min cab ride. You'll spend 10 euro to get in and the line is small in the morning;
2. Grab a cab and have them take you to the Trevi Fountain, from there follow the signs (yes they actually have signs to point you to all the places) to the Spanish Steps;
3. By this time, it will be around Noon, stop here for one of the places on the street for lunch;
4. After lunch get a cab to go back to the Vatican, now this is the really really important part:
A. Once you arrive walk around St. Peters to the back side (you're literally walking down side streets, it will seem realy weird) to get into the muesam entrance, in order to see the Sistine Chapel you'll have to pay admission into the muesam (10 euro). You'll have to "run" through the place because (of course) the very last stop in the place is the Chapel.
B. Once you physically reach the chapel, you'll enter at one end and walk through (looking at the ceiling of course), once you finish and get to the back of the chapel there are TWO exits. You want the exit on the RIGHT as this is the "tour group" exit and it drops you right into St. Peters (you'll also want to see that). The LEFT exit will pop you OUT of the Vatican and you'll have to go through security and LINES to get back in. If the guard stops you, just say you lost your group.

You've got to keep to your time, and the bus back to the ship will pick you up here at the Vatican again, so you'll be ontime to get back. I'd suggest going to brookstone in the mall and buying a "pop-up" map of the city and you'll how close everything really is. You'll save a ton of money.

BIGGEST ROME MISTAKE: Going to the Vatican in the morning, the lines are huge, you'll find ZERO line between 12:30PM - 2PM.

I sailed on Brilliance, it was an awesome cruise, you can trust me on this, I've sailed more than 25 times on Royal Caribbean.
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

I've never cruised to Rome or Capri before, but I took a trip with my high school (I'm a senior) last February and we stopped at both places. I would suggest not doing Rome on your own. Especially if it's your first time in Europe, it can be very overwhelming. However, my group was allowed to do Capri entirely on our own, and it was absolutely wonderful. Capri is beautiful and it was probably my favorite part of the entire trip.

Enjoy!
Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08