Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
First Mate

Default Helipad on Serende of the Seas

A while back I read some place where if you were on the SOTS ship, you ought to see the helipad. Has anyone seen it, and is is worth taking the time out to see? Is it where the helicopter lands or what?

Well one more week, and we're off to wild/blue waters. 8)
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

Yes you will see the helipad on Serenade. It is a great place to go and watch the scenery go by. We were on the Serenade last June to Alaska. They also do their in room video of where you are going to showing the helipad and scenery before you. Enjoy your trip and happy sailing.

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:54 PM
First Mate

It's a little tricky to find. I think you walk the outside promenade forward to a set of stairs leading up, then around a bulkhead, then on to the very bow tip of the ship. Its a great place to watch early in the morning as you sail into port.

A year ago today was our last day at sea....sigh.

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Yes you can go on it. It's fun to be on when you are entering/leaving port & some folks did the "King of the World" at the front. There's actually a small blockage at the very front so people stepped on what looked like a cleat of some sort (probably not the right wording) that was a few inches high since you can't stand on the railing nor would you want to!

On deck 5, go outside & head forward. You'll come to a gate with a warning sign, ignore it. It'll be open anyway. Walk down a short flight of steps & then keep going & walk up a flight of steps. You'll be on on the base of the pad. You walk up a few steps & you'll be on the pad. There's a few benches to sit on as well. Good place to read in my opinion, plus you can wave at the bridge, not that you'll be able to see them since the windows are pretty tinted.

The crew is always on there when leaving port because they have to give instructions to the bridge(?) of the clearance of the ship on both sides. So you get to hear what's being said if you stand sorta closely.

The only thing I didn't see was people on there while the ship was enroute anywhere. I don't know if its because people were too busy on the ship or what. Surprisingly, many people didn't even know you were allowed on the pad.
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
The only thing I didn't see was people on there while the ship was enroute anywhere. I don't know if its because people were too busy on the ship or what. Surprisingly, many people didn't even know you were allowed on the pad.
In bad weather access to helipad is closed.
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:20 PM
First Mate

Thank you everone for replying back in regard to the Heliport. It sounds neat. I know it may be windy there, but it sort of sounds serene also, as I'm sure, not to many people go there, so you can sort of be by yourself, if you want. 8)
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

There are certain times where you can go out to the bow of the ship where the helipad is located. What a view, worth walking around ship and finding it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:39 PM
First Mate

Default Helipad

Just came off the Serenade on April 7...The helipad is easily accessable...some people actually took deck chairs out there and spent
the afternoon.

If you are going to St. Lucia it is a great place to view the Pitons. Captain
Stig took the ship right up to the Pitons and did a 360. What a view...there
was even a bar setup on the helipad serving a signature drink called The Piton.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:01 PM
First Mate

Mike L, so you just got off the Serenade? What did you think of the ship and your trip?

This is the first time for us to go on that ship this Saturday. If you can fill me in on some pros/cons, it would sure help.

I do look forward to seeing the Helipad too.
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM
First Mate

Default Serenade

We had a wonderful week on the Serenade. The ship is beautiful, a lot of glass, well maintained and the staff was good to excellent. A few things that stand out:

1. The new bedding. The mattress is very hard. We had to ask for a foam pad to make it comfortable. The bed spread is very heavy...to hot for the climate even with AC.

2. The shows were the best of any cruise ship I have been on.

3. The cruise director was good, full of life and energetic with a good support staff.

4. We had a baloncy cabin on deck 9. Cabin in great shape, looked brand new. Balcony was oversize so we had room for 2 chairs, small table and 2 lounge chairs.

Bathroom small and toilets had an oder most of the time but that is just the way they are.

Cabin was fair size but it is important to put suitcases in the closets or under the bed to not clutter the room.

5. Reflections dining room was tastefully done. Compared to Holland America food was ok but not great. The waiter was nothing special, however, his assistant and the bar waiter (Renaldo) were great.

6. The Schooner Bar and Safari Club decor is beautiful. The Centrum is very special with the glass elevators, water fall and lighted staircase.

7. The Windjammer Cafe was ok...seemed to have the same selections day after day. Sit outside aft. Deserts were very bland and seemed to taste the same no matter what you choose.

8. Mystery Dinner in Portifino at $49.95 per person was nothing special. Food was good but the mystery (members of the Serenade show cast) could have been done better.

9. Wine is a rip off. A $5.00 bottle sold at Total Wine is $28.00 on the ship. The $39.00 bottles offered are $10.00 bottles at best.

We were able to bring our own wine on board for drinking in our cabin as we left port everyday in our checked luggage. Do not try to bring alcohol in your carry on, they were collecting it and giving back at the end of the cruise.

10. Pool bars were understaffed. 1 bar tender not enough for the crowd.

11. 12:30am buffet in Reflections worth the visit. Ice carvings and food displays were fantastic. I think this was Thursday night.

12. Favorite stops were St. Martin and St. Lucia. Do not do the Best of Antigua tour offered by RCL. Not worth price for what the tour offered.

13. Took a taxi from the airport in San Juan to the ship. It took less than an hour from the airport to our cabin. No hassles.

Disembarkation was a breeze as well. For $10.00 per person we were able to get our Delta boarding pass on the ship and checked our luggage with Delta right in the terminal. Well worth the money.

Overall, a great ship with good staff that we would not hesitate to go again on.

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:27 AM
First Mate

Mike L, thank you so much for your report. It was very helpful.

I do have a couple questions, and hopefully you or someone else will be able to answer them by tomorrow, as early Saturday morning (unless the snow keeps us in ), we play to fly out of Kansas City.

The Reflections buffet at 12:30, is that at the main dining room where there is no cost? Is that like the "chocolate" buffet, or just a "special" buffet with the ice carvings?

At any time on your trip, did you have to go to the Purser's desk? If so, what deck is it on? The reason I ask is that we have to be one of the first ones off the ship to make our "early" flight.

In the main dining room, I don't know who or how large/small a table you wanted, but if you wanted to, could you go first thing, and check and see where your table is?

Last question.........I know they have 2 "formal" nights. I understand they have 2 "semi-formal" nights, which is fine with us also. Do you remember what nights these 4 nights were? Was one of the nights, meeting the "captain" night?

We are touring with COSOL in St. Lucia, so we are really looking forward to this trip. It has been over 7 years since I have been that direction.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:25 PM
First Mate

The "Midnight" buffet is free, as far as I know. That was the night we decided to take a short nap after dinner and didn't wake up until the next morning.

The purser's desk is at the foot of the lighted green staircase in the Centrum (Deck 4, I believe)

You can check your dining seat assignment as soon as you get settled. Ask about the week’s menu to see if one night may be better than another to book one of the specialty restaurants.

For us, the formal nights were Tuesday and Thursday. It may differ depending on when your ship leaves.

Enjoin your trip with Cosol and don't forget to try the banana ketchup with the fried fish!

Old April 12th, 2007, 02:57 PM
First Mate

Default Serenade

Reflections is the main dining room and there was no charge for the buffet.

It was no problem changing our table. We went straight to the dining room when we boarded. I believe someone is there until around 4:00 or 4:30.

The disembarkation for flights went smoothly. They divided us into Air Group 1 and Air Group 2. Group 1 left the ship about 8:15 am and Group 2 about 8:30.

I think our formal nights were Monday and Thursday. The semi formal nights looked like casual nights to me.

Enjoy the trip...

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM
First Mate

Thank you all for giving me the information I had requested. Hopefully I don't toss and turn all night, "thinking" of something else I should have ask before I leave.

I'm sure everything will fall into place, hopefully.

I will try to let everyone know how our trip was when I get back.
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

The only two dining choices that charge you extra are "Chops" and "Portofino" which will charge you an extra $25.00 fee per person. If you choose to go to either one, book your reservations as early as you can, as they tend to fill up quickly.

as far as your flight arrangements to go home. They will give you a questionaire to fill out as to your flight arrangements and times etc. That way they can coordinate who needs to leave the ship first etc. You will be in whichever appropriate dissembarkation group.

Your dining arrangement will be assigned, and you will be able to go and check out your table. If you would like to be moved to a different table you will need to see your maitred and they will do their best to accommodate you.

Formal nights for us were Monday, and again on Thursday. Thursday was Prime Rib or Lobster for choices.

Have a Great Time, wish I was going with you!
I am in Cruise withdrawl at the moment, with nothing booked.
ENJOY

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:51 AM
First Mate

Brneyes:

If I remember correctly, this is your week to cruise. Hope you found everything you were hunting for. Let us all know when you return.

Old April 30th, 2007, 04:13 PM
First Mate

Default Helipad

Hello, I have just been back a week from the cruise, and thanks to everyones help, we found the Helipad.

It was so nice when we went to find it, as we were stationed at one of the islands. From the Helipad's point of view, I got some great pictures of the town, and it's surroundings.

When I have time, I plan to give a review of the Serenade of the Seas ship, of my pros and cons, and to say the least, it was a great ship, with everything going fine for us. My only disappointment was that some people had described it as a "glitzy" ship, and it was beautiful, but not glitzy, in my opinion, which I was a little disappointed, but all in all everything was fine.
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:15 AM
First Mate

Welcome back. I look forward to your review. How were your excursions? I hope the St. Lucia tour with Cosol went well.

Old May 4th, 2007, 05:23 PM
First Mate

dlm2005, our trip to St. Lucia and Cosol was the BEST There is no way beyond words, of what a tour we had. We knew we were going to receive samples of foods, but this went way.........beyond what we received. To top this off, I don't know if he does it on all tours, but to give us different breads and cheese at the end, which was unexpected, just did it for all of us. I never heard (there must have been at least 50 or more people) one person complaining about anything. I'm so glad he was suggested. I feel/know price wise, no one could have done a better job.