Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Default FREEDOM REVIEW 4/29

I'm back!

Once again for the second time the Freedom did not let me down!
The ship is beautiful and just as clean as the 2nd voyage in 6/06. The service was excellent the food was good (however I don't vacation for food and I wish the food was worse because I did put on 2 pounds). Then again those long island ice teas are full of useless calories. The shows were wonderful 2 comedy, 2 production, 1 magic, 1 headliner and of course the farewell show. the CD, Rich Spacey, is the bomb! Rich is soooo funny I never cruised with such a great CD. Rich was not on the Freedom last year. I forgot the CD's name from last year however he was not funny and did not see him much. Rich however is all over the ship and is ready to take pictures and talk to passengers. The weather was great only 1 hour of rain in Jamaica while we were heading back to the ship. They had over charged me for the wine package when I mentioned it to the head waiter he quickly took care of it. It was also nice to see familiar staff faces on the ship. The best bartender is Adrian also know on the ship as "bad ass" oops can I say that here? We first met him on the Navigator then Voyager then twice on Freedom. He juggles bottles like Tom Cruise in the movie Cocktail. Also has many jokes and tricks for both kids and adults. He works in Bolaros latin niteclub or the disco. However he left in Grand Cayman and is heading over to Liberty. We did exchange emails and will keep in touch. Colin Thompson and Corine both of Jamaica are great bartenders.
Labadee is the best for me I wish the ship could stay there overnite so I can get another day there.
Getting around, in and out, tendering was not a problem considering all the passengers. Bolaros was great! I wish I was a celebrity I would compete on Dancing with the Stars and give Apollo and Joey a run for their money.
DJ James at the disco was very good and played tunes from 80's to club.
The Quest was great fun as well as belly flop and men's sexy legs. The kids loved Freedom saw them in the morning and for dinner other then that they were missing in action. I could find them at the rock climbing wall, the flowrider, basketball, golf or arcade but I really did not go looking it was time for a week of "me time". Flowrider was alot of fun however the lines do get long on sea days.

Geoge Michael wrote a song in the 90's called "Freedom I won't let you down" he must of known that down the road RCCL was coming out with Freedom!

Well I have to stop typing and do laundry laundry laundry and get my butt to the gym and shed those 2 pounds.

What do I do with myself now that the cruise is over? I book another one! Thinking of Liberty in January. Then 2009 Gensis here I come!

And to think I was going to go on Princess instead of Freedom again because it was $1,200. cheaper?? Shame on me to consider Princess or any other cruiseline!

One last note, CD Rich mentioned in the welcome aboard show that the rule on RCCL for speedos is that you should be able to look down and see the speedo if you can't see the speedo you should not be wearing one!

Happy cruising everyone!
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:23 PM
First Mate

Thanks, gets me excited for our 2008 cruise. Loved your review, I wish we were on the same you sound like a fun table mate.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Jiffymom - get excited, get happy and get really excited because a great week at sea awaits you and will be here before you know it.

Old May 8th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sounds like RCI is keeping the Freedom up to their high standards, and you had great things to say. Any chance you might expand your review and submit it for the Ship Review section on the main menu? It would be great if more folks read a solid review of this ship.

I too loved Freedom, and am cruising on Liberty in December. Yup, Genesis class is surely on our list too. Did you try the Flowrider on a kneeboard?

Steve
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Admiral

OK SCOOP WILL DO!

I CAN ONLY DO THE FLOWRIDER ON MY BELLY AS SOON AS I GET ON MY KNEES I WIPE OUT AND FORGET ABOUT EVEN TRYING TO STAND. I STILL TRY TO GET ON MY KNEES ANYWAY I NEVER DID CARE IF PEOPLE ARE LAUGHING WITH ME OR AT ME!
I'LL PRACTICE AGAIN WHEN I GET ONTO THE LIBERTY!
MAYBE BY THE TIME I GET ON THE GENSIS I'LL BE A PRO!

WHEN IN DECEMBER ARE YOU ON THE LIBERTY? I USUALLY CRUISE IN APRIL BUT I WANT TO DO JANUARY. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT CRUISING IN THE WINTER MONTHS? ARE THE WATERS MORE CHOPPY?

HAPPY CRUISING EVERYONE!
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Admiral

ONE THING I FORGOT TO ADD IN MY REVIEW ABOVE -

We are a big time soccer family and we would talk to our cabin steward (Ricardo) every day about soccer he would bust our chops because the kids always had a different soccer jersey on everyday but they don't own a costa rica soccer jersey (our cabin steward was from costa rica) well on the last evening of the cruise what do we find when we get back to the cabin - the compass, chocolates, towel monkey and a costa rica soccer jersey brand new with tickets in original package. How about that for excellent friendly staff!

On lobster nite when we ordered the lobster with the waiter we mentioned we will order the lobster because we love it. Well, our waiter Lyndon kept on refilling our plate with lobster. After three I had to say no to the fourth. Hey I'm entitled to over eat when on a cruise.

HAPPY CRUISING EVERYONE!

Old May 8th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Beginner

Very encouraging to read this about the Freedom of the seas.
We already booked our first cruise, which will be next year. We cannot wait!
Reading through this message board I am still not clear in which areas of the ship food is free and which areas it is not?
When it says cover charge does it mean that is the price per meal ?
Thanks
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Free food - the three dining room deck 3,4,5
windjammer deck 11
sorrentos pizza deck 5 (except the front case that is facing
the promenade)
cafe promenade deck 5(except the seattle's best coffee in
the front facing the promenade)
self service ice cream deck 11 by pool

food you pay for: portofino restaurant deck11 (I believe it was $20. pp
chops restaurant deck 11 did not eat there)
johnny rockets deck 12 3.50 pp
ben and jerrys ice cream deck 5
front case at sorrentos pizza deck 5 (salads etc.)
Seattle best coffee deck 5 (had the best white
chocolate mocha -
about $4. - starbuck
prices)
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Great to hear Cruise Queen! That will be us next year. have to get this Mariner trip out of the way first!

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Dave will this be your first rccl mega cruise? you will love it!
will your kids be done with school when you cruise?

8) 8)
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Beginner

thecruisequeen
Thank you for the clear answer.
Lux
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Dave will this be your first rccl mega cruise? you will love it!
will your kids be done with school when you cruise?

8) 8)
Yes, school is out the 18th and first Voyager class. It will be their 6th cruise. 3 on Sovereign and 2 on Enchantment all 4 and 5 nighters.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Admiral

your kids will love it!

The only bad thing about it is now that my kids are used to the megas they don't want to go on anything smaller. They have to ice skate, surf, play basketball and rock climb (voyager or freedom class). They are on their 9th and 8th cruise.

Hmmmm let me count how many cruises my parents took me on when I was a youngster????? 0

Old May 8th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Let me count.... zero! My dad used to take us to sneak into pools at Disney Hotels when we were kids. We used to go to the Polynesian and he would say, "Ok kids, act like you are staying here"

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Old May 8th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Admiral

They were great memories though!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08