Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Passenger

Default Stupid question about RCL VISA's Reward Points

I just got my first Royal Caribbean's Visa card this weekend. I know I get $1.00 for every dollar of merchandise I buy, but can I use this card in place of my gasoline cards and still get my rewards points? Somewhere in the back of my mind I keep hearing a little voice that says "gasoline is not merchandise".

ROYAL CARIBBEAN VOS - January 2008
NCL SUN - January 2007
Carnival Conquest - September 2005
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

As far as I know, sure you could use the RCCL card for gas, I consider it merchandise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Admiral

I have one and though I have never used it for gas I think it's for all purchases. You get double points when you use it for all thing partaining to Royal Caribbean.
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Admiral

I don't see any reason that they wouldn't consider "gasoline" a merchandise purchase. I'd bet you will get credit for gas purchases just like you will for anything else you buy. Give it a shot one month, and see if they credit your RCI account. Bet they do! 8)

See you aboard,

Ken
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Seadog2 is right, I have one and while you get one point (not $1) for every dollar you spend on it. It takes $15,000 of purchases (RCI purchases including cruises give double points) to get a $150 credit on a cruise. I know, I just did it. I called in and got a certificate in the mail and got $150 off of my cruise. Hardly a bargain when you consider the finance charges on $15,000. If you can pay it off every month, then it would be a deal.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Right you are Dave. I have a co-worker who uses her RCI card for EVERYTHING, lunches, grocerys, gasoline, and eveything she purchases, however, she does pay it off in full each and every month. It doesn't give her a totally free cruise, but close to it. Of course, she makes good money, and so does her husband, and they are DINKS. (Double Income, No Kids) 8)

Ken
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Passenger

You guys and gals are awesome. I can always find more answers to my questions from this web site than other cruise chat rooms.

Since I pay my Exxon/Mobile card off in full every month ($100 plus since I'm a commuter) I figured I might as well use my RCL Visa instead of my Exxon card. My car won't care which card I use, as long as I quench its thirst.

Thanks -

Royal Caribbean VOS - January 2008
Norwegian SUN - January 2007
Carnival Conquest - September 2005
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Admiral

I think it's always a good idea to pay your credit cards off each month (if possible). Now that Bank of America has taken over RCI Visa accounts,(from MBNA) they charge you a periodic finance charge if you carry a month to month balance.
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Well, I am a SIDK (single income dual kids) so a little tougher. They ALL charge you finance charges if you carry a balance.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Admiral

DTW I've had my card for sometime now and when MBNA had accounts they didn't charge for carrying a balance. I know other cards do.
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to sirobin171

I have this card and my wife and I use it for everything. Its going to take a while to get 15,000 points, but I will tell you what its good for that takes less time.

You only need 5,000 points to get an upgrade from inside to obstructed view outside on the 3 night cruises. Thats worth around $100. I just did it. You call Bank of America and request a coupon for the points and mail it to RCCL with your fully paid reservation.

You can book your inside first and they will call you to upgrade it or you can jump the gun and pay for an obstructed view and they will credit the difference back to your credit card.

If you buy as much as you can with it instead of paying cash or check for normal stuff, we seem to be able to rack up a couple thousand points a month on it. Food, gas, cruises whatever, . Just be sure to pay that thing off before you get hit with interest if you can.

By the way there is practically no difference between obstructed view and full view on the 3 night cruises. Two reasons, your in port during the day most of the time so there is nothing to look at anyways, and at night you can't see anything anyways. I don't waiste my money on port holes on the shorter cruises, but I do buy balconies on longer cruises every time because its worth it.

Happy swiping.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hubby and I were just having a conversation regarding this last night...... We have 30,000 points now and I want to use some of them for a upgrade from a outside to a balcony. Hubby wants to save them and get a free companion fare on a 7 day cruise. That will take 75,000... That's alot of points. We use this for almost everything big we buy. We try and pay off as much as possible but we usually have a small balance.... It does add up pretty quick though... Wish they had an Alaska option on the use of the points... Only Caribbean/Mexican Riveria. Have NO desire to go to the bahamas again....
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
Admiral

I use mine for booking my cruises. I use it for all on board transactions including tips. Those are double points. I also make sure that I have the cash to pay it as soon as the charge is made. I use it for my down payment on cruises and I use whenever I make a payment on my cruise. Then I turn right around and make a payment to the card. That way I don't carry a balance from month to month. BTW Cathy 100, I agree with your hubby, save them for the 7 nighter.