Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Passenger

Default First Post - Info on Jewel of the Seas

Hello,

This is my first post and I am thinking of an October 28 2008 cruise from Boston MA on the Jewel of the Sea. I've only cruised once before, about 10 years ago, and the experience was so horrible, I'm only now feeling like I could try it again.

How can I find out info specific to the Jewel? Is there a section here that covers each ship individually?

Has anyone cruised out of Boston or maybe even NY, Phila, etc.? How would you compare the seas in the Atlantic to the seas in the Caribbean?

Thanks!

C
Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Seas are much rougher on the Atlantic. Did a Bermuda cruise a couple of years ago out of NYC. Did not help that we had swells from a hurricane 5 days prior. Bob
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Captain

Default Jewel OTS Repo Cruise, 10-28-08

We've done the Boston-Florida repositioning cruise three times, and will be on the 10-28-08 cruise as well. On all previous cruises, we have had calm seas, although as the previous poster said, seas are normally rougher in the Atlantic than the Caribbean.

The Jewel OTS is a beautiful ship - we've sailed her several times, including a transatlantic crossing.

For specific information on the ship, you can look at the "ship reviews" section on this website, or go to Royal Caribbean's website.
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Passenger

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info. At least we will only be in the Atlantic for two days and hopefully it won't be too bad.

This is only our second cruise. The last one was about 10 years ago. I'm sooooo looking forward to this one. I wish it were THIS October.

Carrie
Maine
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Captain

ALL of the Radiance class ships get our vote but the "Jewel" was a fantastic trip (Baltic '04). Even though "RCI" will never be known for large cabins, the public space dedicated to these ships is well worth it.

And there is PLENTY to find on the web about these ships. Just rev up your search engine and have a ball. I have even found specific interior cabin photos on "webshots."

Enjoy, Robbie
Old May 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM
First Mate

Don't forget to try Chops & Portofino, the two specialty restaurants. The entire ship is great! have fun!
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Passenger

I apparently made a new post instead of replying to the OP on this thread. Here is what I meant to post:We have done two repositionings on the Jewel out of Boston and another that was roundtrip from Boston to Bermuda and the Caribbean. On one cruise there were high seas enroute to Bermuda because a hurricane was heading up the coast, but the ship rode them very well. The storm forced us to remain in Bermuda for several extra hours, but once we resumed sailing the seas were extremely calm. There is no predicting what the conditions will be even in the normally calm Caribbean.
Boarding the ship in Boston is an extremely smooth and easy operation and we especially love it because it is just a short drive from home.
We will be on the October 28, 2008 repositioning cruise and hope you will see fit to join us. There is a large contingent of folks who are anxious to reboard their favorite RCI ship. Check out some of the other cruise boards. Cruise Critic (I'm not sure I am allowed to mention other boards) has a thread where over 80 people have so far indicated that they will be on this sailing. Many of them are "Royal Jewels", a group that first sailed on this ship and itinerary in 2004, leaving Boston the day after the Red Sox won the World Series. Can you say"PARTY"?
If you have some more specific questions about the ship, itinerary or Boston please let us know.
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Passenger

thanks again! I can't say enough how wonderful everyone on this board is. I've been reading, reading, reading, and in all of the topics and posts, everyone is so helpful to each other. I love that about message boards...... you get the real story from real people who have actually experienced what you are talking about.

I think it will be a lot of fun to meet people from this board who will also be on the ship. Each time I read a message from someone who says they will be on the same cruise, I get more excited.

I'm beginning to relax about the rough seas. What will be will be.

Now on to the planning...........

Carrie
Maine