CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Cruising out of New Jersey in Dec.--anyone cruise in winter? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/334181-cruising-out-new-jersey-dec-anyone-cruise-winter.html)

Amyw4236 June 3rd, 2007 06:59 PM

Cruising out of New Jersey in Dec.--anyone cruise in winter?

So, my fiance and I are getting married on November 17. We have been going crazy researching honeymoon options for over a month....looking at everything from Sandals to Hawaii to a cruise. I have to admit, I really don't like to fly and that was part of the reason Hawaii was vetoed (that and the expense). We love cruising, so we decided to start looking that way & were thrilled when we found a 12 day cruise leaving out of New Jersey on RCCL (we have sailed RCCL 2 times before) Explorer of the Seas. It was going great places & we wouldn't have to fly (1 1/2 hours to drive to Jersey from Philly). We booked online ourselves.

So, we were near a travel agent one day and asked if she had better prices or better cabin selections. From that day on, she has been calling and emailing trying to convince us that this cruise isn't for us. She says it will be cold in Dec. (obviously) and no one will be out on the decks for the 4 days at sea. I question this because once we get near Georgia/Florida, it should definitely warm up. Also, she said when you cruise in Nov./Dec., the water is much rougher and we won't have a good time.

Has anyone on here ever sailed at this time of year out of a cold climate (not Florida)? Did you have any problems? I think that there might be some truth to what she's saying, but mostly, I think she is trying to change our minds so we cancel and book with her for another cruise.

Please give me your opinion on sailing out in the late fall early winter out of a colder climate!!!!! She has really freaked me out and now I am worried we will have a horrible time!

Thanks in advance!

Amy

mateli June 3rd, 2007 07:36 PM

Hi Amy!
I always cruise the first week of December, it is a good time to leave for a nice vacation before Christmas.I live in Quebec City then you know why I'm glad to get some warm weather.
I think this TA had never cruise or doesn't like to cruise.
Which cruise line did you choose?Western or Eastern caribbean?May be I
could help more if I know. Mateli

Amyw4236 June 3rd, 2007 07:47 PM

We are leaving on the Explorer of the Seas on Dec. 2 and are going to Barbados, San Juan, Antigua, Puerto Rico, St. Kitts, St. Marteen, and St. Thomas (not in that order). We have 2 days at sea at the beginning of the cruise and 2 days of sea at the end. I figure we'll have cool weather on the ship for the first full day at sea, but I figured that on the second day at sea it should be warm (I thought maybe we woudl reach the Florida area by then and things would be good). Then I just figured that we would have the same experience on the 2 days at sea on the way back.

I had never heard of rouch seas in the winter and I didn't think all 4 days at sea would be cold. What's your experience??

Thanks,

Amy

dottiel June 3rd, 2007 10:27 PM

Amy, I say go for it and have the honeymoon of your lives!

Anyone can tolerate a couple of cooler sea days and you're right, it will get warmer as you sail south.

Don't sweat it, enjoy your wedding and the cruise!

elf June 5th, 2007 02:23 PM

Hi Amy,

We are going on the same cruise except at the end of November. It is true that the ocean might be rough, but then again, you never know about the weather, its often unpredicable. Just take some sea-sick pills with you. No cruise is guaranteed smooth sailing, no matter what time of year you cruise. We have cruised in April and May and have experienced rough seas that time of year as well. Yes, the closer you get to Florida and the Carribean Islands, the warmer it will become. You might even wish for the cooler temperatures!

elf

phillygirl June 6th, 2007 07:19 AM

Congrats on getting married.

I took the reposition Voyager cruise in November 2005 and it was cold with a bit of snow flying when we left. By the time we woke up the following morning, we could at least enjoy some outdoor activities like golf and the hot tubs.

I have seen the 12 night itinerary and would jump at the chance to go on the particular cruise. Enjoy the colder weather, sleep in a bit, and relax.