Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Beginner

Default PASSPORT

Would I need a passport on my August 13th cruise on the Majesty of the Seas to the Bahamas?
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You've got plenty of time to apply for one, may as well get one.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Beginner

Default PASSPORT CARD

I read somewhere that if you are taking a cruise, you could apply for a Passport Card for around $50 which like a temporary passport for citizens of the U.S. who rarely go out of the country. Is this true? And if so where do I apply for one and how long does it take to receive it?
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just returned from a cruise to the Bahamas, and I don't have a passport yet, so I brought my certified copy of my Birth Certificate that has the raised seal, along with my drivers license, and I had NO problems. Right now there is a huge delay receiving a passport because there are thousands of people applying and they are back-logged. I am leaving for another cruise in October, and my husband and I just applied for our passports this past weekend, but if we don't receive them I know it's safe to use our Birth Certificates. You should at least apply for your passport but know if you don't receive it in time, it's okay to bring these other documents. Happy Cruising!

Jessie
CCL: Celebration 5/07
Crown Princess 10/07

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: PASSPORT CARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDavis2005
I read somewhere that if you are taking a cruise, you could apply for a Passport Card for around $50 which like a temporary passport for citizens of the U.S. who rarely go out of the country. Is this true? And if so where do I apply for one and how long does it take to receive it?
The Passport Card is not ready for release yet.

No passport is required until 2008 for sea travel to the Bahamas.

Best to get in line and get yours going. It is needed to fly in/out of the USA.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:50 PM
First Mate

please forgive me but, I can't for the life of me understand why people haven't gotten their pass ports by now. It has been known for some time that they would be required soon, but still they didn't get them. Please apply as soon as possible to get yours.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
2015 "NCL Breakaway"
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauntz
please forgive me but, I can't for the life of me understand why people haven't gotten their pass ports by now. It has been known for some time that they would be required soon, but still they didn't get them. Please apply as soon as possible to get yours.
They are waiting for the National Driver's Licence bill to pass.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

People are still waiting for passports - even expediated. Folks posting over at MSNBC.com are saying they are still waiting 14+ weeks.

Media has already reported (today even at CNN.com) that there is a still a HUGE back order on passports.

A friend of mine applied for hers the first week of May for the cruise we're all doing at the end of July. She still hasn't received hers.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Our paper today, even reported that there is a back-up and that they will refund anyone that paid the extra for the quicker service.

NOw, you would think they would of been more prepared for people appling for passports, they talked about it for years...??

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
NOw, you would think they would of been more prepared for people appling for passports, they talked about it for years...??
I don't see how the Government can predict that folks (who knew about this eons ago) would wait until 3 months before the cruise/outside the USA air plane trip to apply for a passport.

It is all the procrastinators who waited until the last minute that is causing the crunch.

EDIT: CHANGED MORON TO Procrastinators SINCE TOO MANY FOLKS TOOK IT THE WRONG WAY.

Old June 14th, 2007, 09:14 PM
First Mate

The Irish Shark hit the nail on the head. Procrastinators are the problem. why does everyone want the government to fix everything? We are all becoming lemmings, Self reliance is a thing of the past, me thinks.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
2015 "NCL Breakaway"
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Passenger

I think that response was rude. I think some people who have never cruised before (even though they should kno) they dont know they need it and aren't up to date with it all like people who are experienced cruisers. I know when we went on our honeymoon cruise last year that is was a last minute thing. No one wants to come on here and ask a question and than someone make them feel stupid. Just don't answer if that is your intention. There's a difference with being honest and than being rude.
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Rude? Don't think so. You must have taken the response to heart. Are you one of the last minute folks gripping about how long it takes to get a passport?

You watch the news? Do you read a newspaper? Do you read any business magazines? Surf the Web?

If not, you have no one to blame except yourself.

Old June 15th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm one of the last minute people to apply for my passport, but I'm not worried one bit if me and my DH don't get our passport in time before our October cruise, because I know that our birth certificates and our divers license are good enough for the meantime. I wouldn't take anything personally at what some folks say on these boards, not only are they "RUDE" they are "IGNORANT", but again this is only my opinion!

Jessie
CCL: Celebration 5/07
Crown Princess 10/07

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Passenger

I have mine, so no I didn't take it to heart. I just think not only in this forum that you give rude responses when it isn't neccessary. Just my opinion. I know there are people who wait, but they don't need to be criticized when asking a question.
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Admiral

My original post was not to the OP who asked a question. I responded to Donna.

Please READ before pointing the gun and pulling the bang switch!

Old June 15th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Admiral

I think I read somewhere that by Sept. you will need passports, anyone else know what the actual deadline is?

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I think I read somewhere that by Sept. you will need passports, anyone else know what the actual deadline is?
That is when the current "waiver" expires. Passports for cruises is still on for January 1, 2008, though recent legislative changes may push the deadline back to June 1, 2009. .

U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region who have applied for, but not yet received passports, can re-enter the United States by air by presentation of a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand.
-------
Adult citizens traveling by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda may need passports as early as January 1, 2008, though recent legislative changes may push the deadline back to June 1, 2009. Even after this deadline, children 15 and under will still be able to travel to these destinations using a certified copy of their birth certificate, as will children aged 16 - 18 traveling under adult supervision with a school, religious, cultural or athletic group. For more information, see the State Department's

Old June 16th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Captain

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even tho you don't need a passport
to cruise right now...if you fall ill and have to fly back to the states,
you will not be admitted w/o a passport. Anyone want to take the
chance?

Also, cruisers TA should have informed about getting a passport
when they booked the cruise. Oh yes, maybe they booked on
the internet... These people
need to be informed...as in having a passport.
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Hi Lou,
I agree, I certainly don't want to take that chance. I already had to fly home once in the middle of a cruise and I had my passport. Its just not the way to leave the country without one.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Passenger

If you need to fly home early you can with out a passport but you have to go through a lot of red tape before they let you go. They are not going to keep you there forever. As long as you have some sort of prove that you are a us citizen.
Old June 17th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Captain

Still, I persist, do you want to deal with that in an
emergency situation, which undoubtedly it would
be if you flew back to the states.
Old June 18th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

It must be nice to be perfect. But some of us MORONS thought the government could get something done in three or four months.
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Well, in reality - this whole mess is the government's fault and whoever is in charge of the passport HQ.

The Government announces about 2+ years in advance about the passport requirements, ok, so now its no secret. That's 2 years in Advance!

If you are the person running the whole show, would you not analyze the situation & go "Hmmmm.......millions of Americans are going to be running to get a Passport....Hmmmm...we're HIGHLY understaffed to handle that sort of paper flow....HMMMMMM.....Maybe we should start now a plan to HIRE hundreds of people and get them in place to handle said flow."

Well, that's our Government for ya - NEVER thinking out side the box!

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Cass,
I couldn't agree more, just not a large enough staff to handle all the passport applications. I'm sure they have some numbers as to the number of people who travel and can take a wild guess that, yea, those travelers will require passports for whenever they go, so be prepared, guess they weren't.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:36 PM
Admiral

The Government has already has taken the fall ....

http://cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578264

Old June 26th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Passenger

I don't consider myself a MORON!

My wife and I are retired (me 12 yrs - her 2 yrs). We have never considered a trip outside of the US. She really doesn't like to travel at all, except to relatives.

In January, my BIL invited us on an all paid (excursions, etc.) cruise to Bermuda. After ordering birth certificates (no original available) we applied for a passport in Feb.

It still hasn't come....

Oh, by the way, I retired from the US Gov't...
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Passenger

My friend and I applied for passports at our local post office in NJ in October of 2006 after learning about the new passport requirements for travel. We had absolutely no problem at all. In fact, we received our passports, both the new digital, by mid November (not expedited). Since then, the Department of State has been overwhelmed with passport applications, cannot handle all the requests, and I believe issued some relaxation of the passport travel rules. I suggest that for those traveling without a passport to please check the Department of State's website for information.
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukwyte
I don't consider myself a MORON!

Oh, by the way, I retired from the US Gov't...
OK, you are a NOT A MORON. YOU ARE A Procrastinator.

I worked for the USG for 30 years and I did not have a passport problem. Why? Because I had one when I was 20 years old and just renewed it on time.

Old June 27th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Passenger

Shark, I don't even consider myself a procrastinator.

I worked for the Gov't for 37 years, retired in '95 and heard approx 2 years ago that if you intended to travel outside of US you would need a passport. I had no intention to travel outside US. Like I said we were invited (all paid) in Jan, applied in Feb (had to order certified birth certificates).... Actually 17 days after we were invited we applied for passport. I don't consider that procratination.

I have no intention to travel outside US after this paid trip. I have had 4 heart attacks (by-pass and 6 stents). Don't really want to do much more than enjoy my family around my home...

The only thing I would like to procrastinate on is my funeral...