Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Passenger

Default Pregnancy and cruising

I am cruising in September on the Mariner and will be around 15-16 weeks pregnant (4 months). I was reading on the site that you have to bring a note, is that just if you are farther along? And do they have any restrictions to the excursions? I will hardly be showing than and really want to climb duns river falls and do the zip line in haiti. If anyone has any info that would be great!
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

I was 5 - 6 months pregnant last year on Carnival. I did bring a Dr.'s note just in case they asked for it - they did not ask for it or even ask how far along I was.

A lot of the excursions say pregnant women are not allowed to participate in this excursion. If no restriction is listed you're probably ok. However, a lot of the excursions will have the restriction. I would be very surprised if the climb and zipline did not have restrictions. They would be liable if something happened. If you book on your own instead of through the cruiseship they may let you do it - however, I wouldn't take a chance of something happening with you or the baby - especially in a foreign port of call.
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Passenger

Thanks I wouldn't do it if I knew it would be dangerous to me or the baby. I was just wondering if anyone had any information because my DH purhased the Duns River Falls excursion yesterday and it didn't say anything about it.
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

If it didn't say anything about a pregnancy restriction you're probably ok then. Did you book through the cruiseline?

Also, I would probably take a Dr.'s note just to have it in case you needed it.
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Passenger

I booked it through the RCC website. It just has little symbols of how strenious the activity is. I have been trying to find a site that has them in detail to where it would say they don' allow it. I am pretty active and continued that through my last pregnancy. I just would hate for us to have paid that money for nothing (my priority is our health though) WHat is their cancellation policy if we did have to cancel? And does anyone have the detail info on these excursions?
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't have the info but when we went there were several that said pregnant women were not allowed - so if it doesn't say anything you should be fine. Did you try calling the cruiseline to find out anything?
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've done the Dunn's River excursion, and it can be tricky climbing, and probably more so if you are pregnant. Although they have you wear special shoes to climb, it still can be slippery when you climb the falls. I know if I was the one pregnant and going on your cruise, I wouldn't risk it. Have a great cruise!

Jessie
CCL: Celebration 5/07
Crown Princess 10/07

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I don't know too much about going on a cruise pregnant, but I have heard of people getting pregnant ON the cruise.....

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Passenger

on that

How long is the climb? I'm just curious. What about the zipline in Labadee, how was that?
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Pregnancy and cruising

yescruise5,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I am cruising in September on the Mariner and will be around 15-16 weeks pregnant (4 months). I was reading on the site that you have to bring a note, is that just if you are farther along? And do they have any restrictions to the excursions? I will hardly be showing than and really want to climb duns river falls and do the zip line in haiti. If anyone has any info that would be great!
On the major cruise lines, the only restriction basically is that you cannot embark on any cruise that will end after you enter the third trimester of the pregnancy. Basically, the principal concern is that most ships' medical centers are not equipped to deal with premature labor or childbirth, which becomes more likely in the third trimester. So long as you won't enter the third trimester before the end of the cruise, there's no problem.

Norm.
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Admiral

at Dunn River's falls you can elect Not to climb the entire way but follow along with your group at a couple of locations where the falls flatten out; like shallow little pools of water; which is what I did when I took my mom (she was 82 at the time and we just didn't want to risk her falling); we both enjoyed the falls and watching the people climb; it was interesting people watching as some people really were physically active and were having a hard time with the climb - which would cause a chain of people to fall, slip etc.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info. There are stairs on the sides right? That way I could climb the stairs and go to a flat part and take pictures?
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by yescruise5
Thanks for the info. There are stairs on the sides right? That way I could climb the stairs and go to a flat part and take pictures?
yes there are stairs on the sides; I rather enjoyed it. We took are time of the stairs, got some great photographs of the rest of our family, waited at the flat parts just wading in the water, relaxing....
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:39 PM
First Mate

DTW,

I hope you didn't contribute to any of that.........lol.
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Passenger

Great thanks! Does anyone have any info on the zip line in haiti what the restrictions are and put them here? I would greatly appreciate.