Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Beginner

Default Eastern Caribbean islands

can anyone reccomend which beaches are the best in St. Thomas and St. Maarten and the safest/best way to travel to them. How much to plan to spend on taixis? How long of a ride it will be?

i've never traveled out of the US without my parents or much older adults and im a little nervous.
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've been to both islands, and in St. Thomas, I've been to Megan's Bay which is very pretty....it has a gift shop and a bar/grill on the beach, along with changing facilities. We rode in a taxi that sat around 8-10 people which seems to be bettter, because the more people they get in this bus/taxi the lower the rate. I believe we paid $8.00pp one-way, and it was only 15-20 minutes away from the ship. There are also Coki and Sapphire Beach, if you are looking to do some water sports on the beach these would be the two best ones, because Megan's Bay don't offer any motorized water-sports.
In St. Maarten there are two sides, a Dutch and French side, we traveled to the French side and went to Orient Beach. This particular beach has sections of the beach were you will see nudity, but not to worry if you are not in to that.....NO problem you can wear you bathing-suits, like we did. This beach also has water-sports, tiki huts, and resturants, over-all it was a very nice beach. The ride to this beach was almost 30-minutes from the ship, and cost us $10.00pp one-way. We've also been to Little Bay on the Dutch-side, this is the side where the ship docks, this beach also has water-sports, resturants, and a great place to snorkel. This was a few years back but I think the taxi ride was only 5-10minutes from the pier, and $6.00pp one-way. I hope this info helped, and I hope you have a great cruise!

Jessie
CCL: Celebration 5/07
Crown Princess 10/07

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Captain

Default Beaches

If you're nervous about traveling to one of the beaches alone, you might want to consider booking an excursion through the cruise line. You'll most likely pay more than if you did a beach trip on your own, but you would be with other people, the cruise line would take care of the transportation, etc. Something to think about.
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you dont want to go far in St Martins you can take the ferry across the bay to town there are two beaches next to where you get off.The beaches are clean.You can walk around town and then right on to the beach.There are also outdoor bars on the beach and you can use their facilities.
The cost of the ferry is $7 and you get a wrist band and can go back and forth as many times as you want.The trip from the cruise ship dock to town on the ferry is about ten minutes.
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:44 PM
First Mate

JessieC,

Which is better in your opinion, Megans Bay or Cokie Beach......as in nicer. I've done Cokie beach and was wondering which is nicer.
And if you could, would you please elaborate as to the two of them. I'm more into luxury and laying out then anthing else.
Thanks.
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:51 PM
First Mate

Sorry, forgot to ask, which one is closer? Megans Bay or Coki? Want to do some shopping and lay out so was just wondering.

Thanks again...
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Royal.....In my opinion I prefer Coki Beach over Megan's Bay....I think Megan's Bay is over-rated, although the scenery is beautiful, I would always choose Coki over Megans Bay, please read below.

Coki Beach

At Coki Beach in St. Thomas the water is crystal clear. When I say crystal clear I mean if you drop a pin in the water you can see it at the bottom of the ocean. Coki Beach is three times clearer than Magens Bay Beach. At Coki Beach you can swim, snorkel, jet ski, para sail, scuba dive and get some sun. It is the only beach on St. Thomas that has all the water sports available. Coki Beach hosts the worlds famous Coral World Marine Park.

Enjoy your cruise and whatever beach you choose you will have a wonderful time!

Jessie
CCL: Celebration 5/07
Crown Princess 10/07

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Passenger

pootersdad !!!! what is the date of your Radiance OTS Eastern Caribbean ... is it February 16th ??? Becuase im going on that one !!
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Captain

If you're nervous at all, book a shore excursion to get the lay
of the land on an island. The "beach breaks" are usually the
lowest cost of shore excursions, and transportation is taken care
of for you.

Our first few cruises, this is what we did, now we get a taxi on
our own and go to our favorite beach.