Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Captain

Default Cococay & Disembarking Questions

Can everything on Cococay be purchased with your ship purchasing card (sorry forget the name for it)? Just wondering about such things as drinks/food in the different establishments, souveniers, my wife getting her hair braided etc. Thanks for any info.

Also, it's been a few years since my first cruise....Is it better to put your bags out in the hall the night before disembarking then picking them up at the port or better to take them off yourself? I was thinking maybe put most of them in the hall except for maybe a carryy on????
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
Yeoman

Cococay is RCCL's private island, and a very pretty little spot if you are actually able to get there. The ships stay a bit out at seas and you are tendered to the island for a day of fun. On our last cruise there in April, the seas were too rough and we could not tender over to it. Everything on the island can be purchased/rented by simply using your sea pass card. Jet ski's, trinkets, drinks, etc... RCCL actually does a really nice BBQ lunch for all guests there (chicken, ribs, hambers, hotdogs, etc...)

We always put our luggage out the night before by 10pm. The disembarkment process is really long, depending on what color your assigned and don't forget you have to vacate your stateroom by 7:30am!
Do you really want to be toting all your luggage around the ship as you wait for your color to be called... most waiting areas get pretty crowed fast.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:24 PM
Passenger

Coco Cay is a great place to spend the day. Your Sea Pass card can be used to purchase excursions, floaty mats, snorkel equipment, and drinks. As mentioned there is a free BBQ lunch. If you would like to do any shopping at the small straw market there you will need to bring money.

Disembarkation is always such a sad time. It is easier to put your bags the night before. As mentioned earlier it can take quite a while and lugging all of your bags is a pain. We have only done it once and won't do it again.
Old July 25th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Passenger

I was quite surprised at the fun I had on this island. If the weather cooperates you will have a great time. Everything can be purchsed using the Sail card. Beware of the lunch. Its putrid at best
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

The luch is qite good actually. Ribs, chicken, burgers, ect.... and the hungrier you are, the better it is. Beautiful place! 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 25th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Passenger

I guess we all have different tastes. but I sampled 6 other opinions on that day and all agreed the food was terrible. But again there are people that think its good and go for seconds.
Old July 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I am just glad to have food. We could take all the food that is wasted on cruise ships and feed all the starving children of the world. When my kids complain of chicken again, I tell them some kids don't even have food. Be glad!

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 25th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Passenger

That age old analogy is outdated. Yes, I care about starving children in under devloped countries but when I spend my hard earned money on a vacation I better get something good. Im not saying I should get 5 star quality on a 2-3 star boat but I shouldnt get some nasty BBQ Ribs in tin foil either.
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Know this one...

Last October, being total cruise novices, my husband and I went to Cococay with only about $30.00 between us.

Little did we realize that the island is all cash except for what RCL is doing.
Keep this in mind when you go there.

Diane

It is reallllllly lovely btw!

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Old July 26th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Beginner

CocoCay is a beautiful island and very relaxing. Grab a hammock and crash for a minute or two.

The food is fantastic and nothing on my plate went to waste.

Enjoy, relax and get stuffed!!!
Old July 31st, 2007, 07:16 AM
Yeoman

I wasn´t aware that "other" cruiselines still force their passengers to vacate their cabins early the last morning, I´m an NCL-cruiser and with them you can stay in your cabin until it´s time to leave the ship.

Why do they do that?
Old July 31st, 2007, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

FYI - We just came back from Coco last week. Any of the huts that sell the typical souvenirs you have to pay CASH. Your shipboard card will not work. These people are from a nearby island & not associated with the cruise line. Items will be higher priced also (t-shirt - $17, Coco Cup $12).

We didn't read our Compass that day & could not buy anything on the island.

Hair braiding a single strand was like $4 or something.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07