Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:09 AM
Passenger

Default Are the Cabin Balcony Doors Kid Proof?

We are going to take the Liberty of the Seas and would like to get two connecting cabins, one for our two kids and one for us. We would love balconies but are a little concerned as our kids are old enough to turn a manual lock and young enough to think its fun to climb overboard....

Do the balcony doors lock with a removable key that we could store in the safe (or somewhere away from the kid's reach)?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Yeoman

No the sliding doors do not have a removeable key lock. It is simply a built in system. If the kids are big and smart enough, they could open it with almost no problems. The doors are a bit heavy though, so not sure if this helps...

We travel with 3 kids, (ages 12, 14 & 16) and always get 2 rooms.
We do a corner aft balcony for me, hubby and 12 yr old daughter, and do an inside cabin (across from us) for the two older boys. We would never do a balcony cabin for them. Afterall kids will be kids at any age and we don't want to take any chances.

I would suggest checking out the current prices on an inside cabin (only if the kids are old enough to be a door or two away). You will save a lot more money than the other balcony and a lot of peace of mind too!
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the response. I had already called RCCL and they told me the doors DO have a removeable key locking system. Nice, huh?

My kids are 5 & 7 so they are too young to put in an inside cabin across the hall, but thanks for that suggestion.

Do you think there is anything I could bring that would be able to prevent the door from being opened?

How do the doors open? Is it one door that latches to the wall, two doors that latch to each other? Do the handles seem like they could be fastened together with a bike lock or a bungie cord or something?

This will be our first cruise on the Liberty and we were initially planning on getting connecting rooms on Deck 3 but we noticed they are on the same deck as some bars/clubs. I have posted a message asking if there is a noise issue on that deck.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
Yeoman

I don't remember there being a removeable key system, but hey, if they say there's one, then all the better... The doors operate as such as any basic sliding door system. (one stationary and the other slides over it).
I am not aware of any type of locking device that could assist you.

Now knowing thier ages I would have to say again that the door is heavy and they might not have the power to open it. The handle is a big lever and is heavy to turn. (I myself sometimes struggle to open it) and the door itself weighs a lot...

You should be fine with just the removeable locking key and leaving the connecting door open to your room.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:02 PM
Yeoman

I can't believe they told you that they had a removable locking system. They need to learn their ships better.
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Yeoman

Fitzla:
You too don't know of any removeable key right?
It sounded odd to me too. Been on 5 RCCL ships and can't ever say I seen one!
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Passenger

I'm quite sure the RCCL rep was wrong given that you both have been on the ship. I agree its pathetic that they would just guess on something like this rather than apologizing and explaining they don't know the answer and have no real way of finding out.

Anyway... I have been scouring the web trying to find a detaied picture of the balcony door so that I can assess if there is anything I can bring with me to create a makeshift childproof lock. We have sliding glass doors at home and they are infamous for being able to unlock by jiggling. In order to prevent burglars from doing this from the outside, we have a piece of wood in the track of the door preventing it from sliding open, locked or not. Does anyone reading this have a detailed picture (or recollection) of the door such that you can determine if the door that moves is on the inside or outside? If it slides open on the inside, I think I could bring a shower rod or something similar which is designed to be flexible in width and stay open above the reach of the kids. If the door slides open on the outside (opposite of traditional home design), then I could put the same rod on the outside. The only catch here is I would then need an alternate way to get back inside.

This leads me to my last question: If we get connecting balcony rooms on the RCCL Liberty of the Seas, can we have the divider between the two balconies removed so that I can lock one balcony door from the outside and then re-enter the ship through the other balcony door?

Thanks once again for your responses to what I will admit is a very anal line of questioning.
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Like everyone says, the doors are very heavy with a large lever handle and it does require some strength to open. You could duck tape the top close. It holds everything and they couldn't reach it, so it would require you taking it off and opening the door yourself. Also, you could get one of those cheap portable door alarms. I've seen them at Target for under $20. Tape them to the walls and they chime when someone breaks the beam between them. My dry cleaners even uses one to let them know someone is there so I know they work.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Yeoman

If you send me your email I can forward to you a couple of pictures we have that shows the balconey doors.

I do not know if they will remove the parition between the two rooms. Carnival does, but not sure if RCCL will.