Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Passenger

Default experienced cruisers PLEASE HELP........

Okay....
First time cruiser here. We're taking RCI Mariner of the Seas Sept.9-16 on the Western Caribbean.

How many of you may I ask (speaking to experienced cruisers) have gotten seasick? Do you take dramamine or seasick meds before or during cruising as a preventative?

Anyone not bother with dramamine and not get seasick?

I'm hearing so much conflicking advice from people on weather or not to take the dramamine as a preventative. I really don't want to take it if I won't need it as I don't want to be feeling groggy or tired but at the same time will I be sorry if I don't? I don't normally get motion sickness (theme park rides or car travel) but I've never cruised before soooo......

hit me with your opinions experienced cruisers ! Please!
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:01 PM
Beginner

I am not the most experienced cruiser in the world, having taken 6 so far.

However here is my input. I have never felt even slighly nauseous whilst on a cruise. However my wife did once feel a bit dodgy and went to the ship surgery and got some kind of tablet. This worked magically and she was fine. She does now try to take sea sickness pills of some kind with her, but has never taken one since. Edit to say this includes a transatlantic crossing.

The important thing about these ships really is the size and the fact they have stabilizers. All you will really feel is likely to be a slight shake. You could be really unlucky and get caught in a storm, but that is also unlikely, since the ships are well equipped to avoid these. They can see where the storms are bubbling and go somewhere else.

Plus you will probably not see any heavy seas in any case in the Caribbean.

Bottom line. I'd take some medicine with you just in case, but you are highly unlikely to need anything.

Good luck and I hope you have a fantastic time.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
Admiral

scootch - there is alot of info out there about motion sickness and it can be overwhelming. I hope that i and my fellow cruisemates can help you sort thru some of it. First thing - if you get severe motion sickness when you fly, drive or ride its a good idea to get to your dr and get a script for the patch. If you get moderate motion sickness when you fly, drive etc, its probably a good idea to try Bonnine. If you get the mild queezies then try the ginger remedie- ginger pills, my preference is ginger cookies, crystalized ginger candy or REAL ginger-ale. If none the above applies to you, then "no worries, mate". The ships have wonderful stabalizers, yes you will feel some motion after all you are on a moving vessel traveling thru a moving body of water. The best cure for the mild queezies is get OUTSIDE AND GET MOVING.- just do something if its just to stroll around deck, and eat some carbs, grab some crackers or a roll. THE WORST thing to do is go to your cabin and lie down, this will make the queezies worse.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I've only had some queasiness if the seas are rough. If it's nice weather you probably won't feel a thing.
Have a great time....the Mariner is our favorite RCCL ship...we've done the Western Carib twice and absolutely loved it! Enjoy!
Angela Z.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Scubarick Send a message via Yahoo to Scubarick

I just have a few drinks, and if the ship is rocking and your walking with the ship, sometimes you can plot your steps right and if the ship moves one way you move the other.....lol

4/94 Premier Oceanic
4/95 Carnival Sensation
4/96 Carnival Sensation
4/97 Monarch of the Seas
4/99 Vision of the Seas
4/00 Carnival Paradise
4/02 Carnival Paradise
4/03 Carnival Legend
4/05 Carnival Destiny
4/06 Carnival Glory
4/07 Carnival Triumph
4/08 Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Admiral

I have never gotten seasick on a cruise ship. I have gotten seasick on a whale watching boat and once on a sailing vessel so I know what it is like. In all the cruises I have been on I was in rough water once, sailing along the Cuban coast. The newer ships are so big you won't even feel like you are moving most of the time.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Beginner

I get motion sickness all time - sometimes just sitting by the end of a swimming pool makes me queasy. So right before my very first cruise I was really concerned about getting seasick. I took a Bonine twice a day and wore this wristband and I was totally fine the entire cruise. No queasiness! Not even on the smaller boats that took us out snorkeling.

Have fun on your cruise!
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Admiral

On one cruise I felt a little queasy. Several hours later it dawned on me that I was simply hung-over. (Tee many martunis the night before)

I have never encountered very rough seas, but there have been times there was a gentle rocking motion to the ship. It never bothered me. I always bring along an over-the-counter drug, just in case. Haven't needed it, but would hate to need it and not have it. Unless you are "prone" to motion sickness, don't stress over it. And, if you are prone to motion sickness, you will know it. Happy cruising!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Admiral

We sailed last September and it was the calmest seas I've ever seen (of course, that isn't always the case). I only take 1/2 of a pill if there are predictions for rough seas and that works fine for me.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Passenger

I plan to take dramamine or bodine with me as well as my wrist band. I got a bit sick on our last cruise last October. We were on the Soverign. I have heard that if the ship is bigger it helps. We are going on the Mariner on the 23rd of September so I will being it all just in case!
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Seasick meds...

Hi!

I am also sailing on Mariner on 9/9/07 - 9/16/07.

From my own cruising experience, I do not get sick on large ships, however, I do get sick on fishing ships (about 125 feet).

I guess it would be best to take along some dramamine, if that would make you more comfortable.

As always, check with your doctor, who I am sure can give you more current information.

My husband and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary on this cruise.

Happy Sailing and maybe we will meet up on the cruise.

Diane White
Dianeteach68@aol.com
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Beginner

Hello:
I personally have only gotten seasick one time. We had rough waters for 1 day. my sister in law gets very seasick and she has been using the wristbands. they really seem to help her. I believe you can get them at a boating/marine store. Hope this helps
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Passenger

Wow. Thank you all! You're so helpful!

Dianeteach68 : Very cool that we're both on the same cruise and that you're celebrating your 25th!! When is your actual anniversary? ours is Sept.14 -- 10 years

mizcuddles : Thanks. I actually do already have the wristbands (I had reallly awful morning sickness when I was pregnant both times). Not so sure how much help the wristbands will be since they didn't seem to help then though But ya never know. I'm just REALLY hoping I won't even need them. I'm definetly going to bring some dramamine with me though. Just was wondering whether or not I should take it ahead of time as a preventative I really don't want to if I won't need to.

Everyone thanks a bunch! You're all SSOOOO helpful!
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I get extremely car sick if I sit in the backseat. I cannot read in a car either. On a cruise ship I have only been mildly seasick once. The Enchantment was really rocking and rolling one evening. Might have had something to do with Hurricane Isador..... I also wear the wristbands and they seem to work. One thing hubby and I both have noticed on a cruise, we both seem to have mild headaches for the first few days. I think I read somewhere this is a form of seasick. Like said before, get moving and you won't notice......

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Familiar Face

The generic form of Bonine is meclizine, and it is readily and cheaply available at nearly all drugstores. It is MUCH less apt to cause drowsiness than is dramamine. My husband is very prone to seasickness and he swears by meclizine. He takes one tablet before bed every night (starting the night before the cruise) as a preventative measure, and he has no problems with drowsiness or interaction with alcohol. I don't take it as often as he does... just if things appear to start getting a tad rough, just in case. And when/if that happens, he takes a 2nd pill. Once he waited too long to take the 2nd pill... and uh-oh!

There's also a doo-hickey out there called a Relief Band. It looks like a watch, but it emits a little electrical impulse (rather tickly, and not unenjoyable) that it supposed to not only prevent seasickness, but actually cure it. They're not cheap, but they are said to be worth it. I bought my hubby one a few years back to take on cruises, but he's never had to use it. You might want to check it out:
http://www.seaproductsonline.com/index60.html

Read about it at that link... but if you want to buy one, try eBay-- it's much cheaper!
Old July 7th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Passenger

Have never personally been seasick and we have been through some rough seas. My dad does suffer from it but didnt have ANY problems on Navigator (Med cruise) but we did sail through the Bay of Biscay and that was a bit choppy on the way home.

I have heard that the seasickness wrist bands work.

The best thing is to go to the lowest deck possible, or sit outside on the prom deck and get some air.

I havent tried any of the meds so I cant comment, but I know that if the boat is rockin' my two other suggestions worked for us...hence never sick!!!!

Hope that helps.....

Navigator of the Seas Review
May 2007
Photos, video & more...
Old July 7th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Passenger

We were on a cruise last year & were on the bridge (lucky we got a tour). We were there about 20 minutes & I spotted the "fax" machine & it said we were having hurricane force winds and really rough seas. There was no storm just wind & the ship was REALLY rocking. They even put out barf bags all over the place. Being on the bridge & actually seeing (and feeling) the ship go up & down really got to me after a while. Went back to our cabin ate an apple and after about 30 minutes I was fine. We've been on 13 cruises & we've had some rough seas but this particular one was the only one that ever got to me. I have never taken anything for sea-sickness.
Old July 7th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Passenger

Dianeteach68, My sister's maiden name was Diane White...lol

Our 43rd anniversary is Sep 12th. Wish we were cruising with you all... We will be in the mountains in NC...

Have a great cruise...
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Admiral

The only time I've ever gotten seasick, was aboard military transport ships (much smaller than current cruise ships, and much heavier seas). The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) however is quite another story. She gets sick riding in the back seat of a car! As a result, she takes a Bonine tablet every day, whether she needs it or not. Bonine (Meclazine) is a great preventative. It doesn't seem to have much, if any, "sleepy" side effect, and it absolutely does work. Personally, I'd much rather be a bit sleepy, and having a great time, than wide awake and sick!

Have a super cruise,

Ken
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: experienced cruisers PLEASE HELP........

Never seasick on a cruiseship, ferry or catamaran. Have had it happen on a dive boat on rare occasion, although no rhyme or reason why. Might try a mild antihistamine/decongestant as these can help. Book inside, dead center of the ship where motion is minimal if concerned, but ships are stabalized now so the ride is pretty smooth (unless the ship is hauling to avoid a storm and the stabalizers are retracted).

Just as an aside, sometime the medications themselves can cause problems if you are not used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoootch
Okay....
First time cruiser here. We're taking RCI Mariner of the Seas Sept.9-16 on the Western Caribbean.

How many of you may I ask (speaking to experienced cruisers) have gotten seasick? Do you take dramamine or seasick meds before or during cruising as a preventative?

Anyone not bother with dramamine and not get seasick?

I'm hearing so much conflicking advice from people on weather or not to take the dramamine as a preventative. I really don't want to take it if I won't need it as I don't want to be feeling groggy or tired but at the same time will I be sorry if I don't? I don't normally get motion sickness (theme park rides or car travel) but I've never cruised before soooo......

hit me with your opinions experienced cruisers ! Please!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Passenger

I am proned to motion sickness. I found this out years ago on a train trip up the East Coast (from New Orleans to Connecticut). Because of this I have my doctor prescribe the ear patch which I put on one hour before I sail. If you have ever gotten sick on a train, bus, car, or ferry ride then chances are you might (hence the word, "might") get sick sea. I was in rough weather on both my cruises; one during Hurricane Rita and this past January (2007) when we got the tornadic (sp ?? ) weather the night before it hit Central Florida. And judging from the seasoned cruisers around me I am glad we had the patch. Try cruising first without any medication first (no use to take meds "just in case") and if you do get queasy you can always visit the ship board doctor. Just don't wait too long before you seek help. The minute you feel sick run down as fast as your land legs can carry you and ask the doctor for help. The sooner you get help the sooner you will feel better and will be able to enjoy the rest of your cruise.
Old July 10th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Passenger

I get terribly airsick in small airplanes (might have something to do with the fact that we are almost always flying fairly low). For that, I use the Relief Band previously mentioned, and not only does it prevent, but, I once purposely waited until I knew I was going to get sick to turn it on, just to see what would happen and it did totally cure me.

On cruise ships, first cruise - Carnival Ecstasy - I was queasy for the first day (able to only eat bread, but didn't get sick, no sea sickness meds, as I was already beyond the point where they'd have helped anyway). Second cruise -Monarch OTS - I was mildly queasy the day after formal night, that turned out to be mostly hang over, until we decided to try the glass bottom boat (oops, still didn't get sick, although the woman next to me did). The most recent cruise - Mariner OTS - I was not sick at all, even while dodging thunder boomers.

I did see a lot of people wearing the patches, and also more than a few wearing the acupressure wrist bands. Most of the people wearing the wrist bands had them too far forward (but I didn't say anything, as none of them actually were having issues). If you opt to try the wrist bands, make sure you read the directions and put them in the right place. Also, if you're quite thin, they may not help you at all.
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Passenger

I would take Bonine instead of Dramamine since Bonine is not supposed to make you sleepy.
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you want to go for the non-toxic remedy, I am told Ginger Tablets/Capsules are the thing to use.

Good Luck and stay down wind of everyone......just in case!

Mark
Old July 22nd, 2007, 06:48 PM
Passenger

Depending on the calmness of the seas the only somewhat rough seas you may experience are crossing the golf stream. Most often you will not even feel it. You also might want to book a cabin mid ship for the least amount of motion felt. If you are extremely prone to motion sickness ask you doctor for either prescription or OTC remedies.
Mariner OTS- W Caribbean 10/08
Old July 22nd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

In all my 30 Years of Cruising I have never been seasick once, even when I was on the Song of America rounding Cape Horn. I have 40 Cruises to date so it mostly depends on the cruiser. Good luck with the Mariner, I rate her the 2nd Best ship in RCI's fleet, With only the Song of America better.

Edward
R.I.P.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 08:41 PM
Passenger

Alot of sea sickness has to do with mental awarness as well.
If you think you are going to be sick you will get worked up and ...well...get sick
I was on a Marine Transport LST-1180 USS Manitowoc
basically a flat bottom ship
while off the coast of Italy we did a 54 degree roll to port then came back 56 degrees to Starboard. To give you and idea how far this is...at 60 degrees the Superstructure was designed to fall off so the ship will not capsize. (Superstructure is everything above the main deck)
Old July 22nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
Passenger

on another note if you do feel queazy
just watch the horizon