Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Shore Excursions in Bermuda

After checking the RCCL shore excursion site, there is really not alot of things to do there sponsored by the ship if you do not snorkel or like to do water activities. My question is..... is it pretty safe and easy to navigate on your on there? My hubby is an avid gardener and would love to visit the Botanical Gardens. I prefer to stay with ship sponsored activities for safety but there just aren't that many I'm interested in.
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Familiar Face

Bermuda is VERY safe! Their crime rate is incredibly low-- they've had something like 1 or 2 murders in the past million years or so. I'm exaggerating, but it really is quite safe and it's very easy to get around.

You can buy daily passes (1, 2, or 3 days) for unlimited use on their excellent bus and ferry systems. The same pass is good for both, and they take you wherever you need to go! And wait'll you see how helpful and friendly... and even polite!... the people are.

Passes are sold very near all the ports (Hamilton, St. George, and Royal Dockyard), as well as on many of the ships (I understand they're sold on Empress, if that's what you're taking).

And here is a link to a bus schedule-- don't worry if you find it confusing, because anyone you ask there will happily point you in the right direction!

http://www.bermudayp.com/islp-busschedule.html
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

my aunt is from Bermuda and it is very safe. You will be fine.
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old July 10th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for all the tips. I had heard that Bermuda is safe. I think I will book one of the tours of the famous houses and then just go it on our own.
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Passenger

We just returned from the 5-day Bermuda cruise. NOT ENOUGH TIME IN BEAUTIFUL BERMUDA!!! We rented mopeds (scooters) while on land and since it was my 4th visit, I navigated us around the entire island. The map of the island is clear and you really have to be almost brain dead (sorry, can't think of another way to put it right now) to get lost. As you may know, the island is approximately 21 miles long by about 2.5 miles wide at its widest. It is as safe as ever and the Bermudians are wonderfully friendly and polite. Transportation passes are available and provide unlimited travel by bus or ferry for any 1, 3 or 7 consecutive days. Many, many on our cruise bought passes and visited points of interest. The only complaint I heard was that, since there were 5 cruise ships harbored, buses were filled to capacity and some had to wait for the next one.

It is a great destination. You will enjoy Bermuda very much. Two of my favorite spots are Devil's Hole, an acquarium on private property, their back yard to be exact(!!) and John Smith's Bay, down the street from Devil's Hole-not as crowded as Horseshoe Bay Beach. I have lots of other favorite secluded nooks (don't want to share, want them all to my self!!!). ENJOY.
Old July 11th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Familiar Face

there is a great restaurant about two blocks from the ferry. portifino's. nice quaint place. they have sandwiches, pizza etc. Very nice. we have been their twice and when we go in sept. we will go there again. The only thing about bermuda is, things are expensive. But.............. i had a really bad sun blister so i went in the drug store. i paid 15.00 here in jersey and paid 38.00 in bermuda. i had no choice. but it did surprise me. all in all i love going to bermuda and can't wait to go back. And like the other comments about safety, it sure is. i was very comfortable there. quincy
rccl explorer 2007
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey Quincy...... when in September are you going and what ship. We are on the Empress 9/22. We are flying in from Atlanta on the 21 and staying at the Marriott/Airport the night before. I prefer to get there the night before. Ya just never know with the airports anymore and I don't want to be one of ones that watches as the ship leaves without me..... I am really looking forward to going to Bermuda.
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Familiar Face

sorry cathy100 we'll be on the explorer of the seas. it would have been nice to be on the same ship. we're going with my husbands brother and wife but the more the merrier. we were on nccl in june with friends and we met a couple who we keep in touch with, so you never know. try and go to that restaurant i mentioned. oh, we are sailing out of bayonne, nj on september 9th. also. i agree with you to get there one day early. quincy.
rccl explorer 2007
Old August 11th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Passenger

I would suggest booking a snorkeling trip through
Jessie James Cruises
6 Glen Court
Warwick PG01
Bermuda
Phone: 1-441-236-4804
Fax: 1-441-236-6259
E-Mail: jessiejames@northrock.bm
www.jessiejames.bm