Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:27 AM
Passenger

Default Grandeur of the Seas to Bermuda

Has anyone sailed on this cruise out of Baltimore? Impressions? Any recommendations for what to do to make the best use of time in Bermuda and riding around on mopeds ok? If so, can they be rented cheaper than through the cruiseline and where.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to wraithe Send a message via Yahoo to wraithe

Can't speak to the Bermuda cruise, been there, but it was on one of Uncle Sammy's underwater cruise ships, entirely different animal. I can speak about Grandeur, if you have any questions about her. I know that when we were in Bermuda, we were told we could not rent moped, if you take a tumble and slide on the coral streets, you get really torn up and it takes forever to heal. Just a thought.

Past Cruises:
USS Henry L. Stimson-SSBN 655 Gold (4 Patrols 1988-1991)
USS Daniel Webster-SSBN 626 Blue (Conversion Crew)
USS Nebraska-SSBN-739 Blue (5 Patrols 1995-1998)
USS Wyoming-SSBN 742 Blue (3 Patrols 2002-2004)

Grandeur of the Seas-10/28/2005 - 10/13/2006 - 10/05/2007
Mariner of the Seas-4/2/2006
Radiance of the Seas-3/17/2007

Upcoming Cruises
Grandeur of the Seas-4/12/2008 - 4/19/2008- 10/30/2008
Celebrity Century-2/9/2009
Old July 28th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Familiar Face

The ship is an amazing one. Very beautiful. I'm sure you will find lots of on board activities. Food and service is excellent. The draw back to this particiular iternary is the actual amount of time on the island. I would not recommend the use of a moped as Bermudians drive on the left side of the road and this can be tricky. The public transportation system is amazing. You can buy a pass on the ship and use it for both ferry and bus. You will be docking in the West End. A ferry trip to Hamilton for shopping is a must. For beaches, you can't beat Horseshoe Bay. If you are in to history, you can spend alot of time exploring. The Frog and Onion is excellent for lunch or dinner. There is a little craft market when locals sell their ware. If you really want to see the island, consider a shore excursion that stops at the caverns. There is also a little beach in the West End within walking distance. Make sure you venture out the evening when they have Dockyard Nights.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. I LOVE BERMUDA!
Old July 28th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithe
Can't speak to the Bermuda cruise, been there, but it was on one of Uncle Sammy's underwater cruise ships, entirely different animal.
Uh, a snorkel bender!

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 29th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Passenger

I haven't booked any excursions thru the cruiseline yet and was wondering if it was just better to do it on my own. Any suggestions as far as itinery since time is limited....and since the ship is docking at Kings Wharf how to make best use time. i.e. start with a ferry to far away places the first day and leave things to do around Kings Wharf the second day? What are the things to do further away and what to do close to the ship?
Old July 29th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Familiar Face

If I remember correctly, you wil be getting into Bermuda early on Tuesday. I would disembark and get familar with the West End. Then, buy a one or two day transportation pass and head directly to Hamilton by ferry for a bit of shopping. If you desire, you could even head to the beach by bus afterwards. I would definitely hit Horseshoe Bay. As you walk on to the beach, take the small path to the right and it will take you to a small secluded cove. You can rent snorkel equipment there reasonably priced it you do not take your own. Also, I would recommend buying a underwater camera and taking it with you. This is one of the few beaches with restrooms, changing stations, and a small eatery. Everyone on the bus is very friendly (let the bus driver know your destination) and will let you know where to get off. After you get off the bus, it is a little walk to the beach. There will be locals offering to drive you down the hill to the beach and back up. They charge $1.00 and it is well worth it. After you hit the beach you could catch the bus and eventually get back to the West End. You get to see some of the Island this way and might even want to stop and see one of the lighthouses. After resting up, you want to go back out in the evening around 7-8 for the festival. Lots of local crafts and the Clockyard Shops stay open late. The Rum cakes are great and travel well back to the states. I did the Glass Bottom boat excursion. They take you out to a ship wreck, feed the fish, and try to spot some turtles. This only takes a couple of hours so when you get back, you can do more shopping at the Craft Market. Hit the Frog and Onion for lunch and if you want, you can walk to Snorkel Park to finish up your time. If you are not into the beach so much, you could do the excursion that takes you on an island tour by bus. However, this takes a bigger chuck out of your day.