Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Passenger

Default Serenade of the Seas Specific Question

Can someone shed a little light on the cabin location in general for me? I have been on various ships, Celebrity, Carnival, RCCL, etc and I have been in cabins in various sections of the ship and i never noticed obstructions or propeller noise etc like I hear others discuss. I am sailing again on RCCL in Nov again and we are going with oceanview this time and I dont know where to pick a room.

I am barely ever in the room, but would like to hear some opinions. The ship is Serenade of the Seas.

I am not using a travel agent so anyone that knows anything about this thanks in advance!~

Thx!
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Txs,
I'd re-think about using a travel agent, some may have special prices for groups that you can't get from booking directly with a cruiseline. They are also knowledgeable in cabin locations, etc.

I always try to book a cabin with guest cabins both above and below for any noise problem.

Serenade of the Seas is a beautiful ship, the cabins are lovely and decent size. If you are prone to seasickness, then something more mid-ship would be better.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:43 PM
Captain

I just got my own franchise and since we don't make a dime more off of the passenger than what "RCI" charges, why not use one? (not me, must be some rule about that on here somewhere)

;>)

Robbie
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

Go to the RCCL website and look up Serenade of the Seas> Deck Plans> and it will shed some light on any obstructed views for each deck and some specific cabins that do have obstucted views.

We were on her June 06 and had a hump cabin on deck 9 and we had an awesome view from there. we also were 1 room away from the elevatores and never did hear any noise related to that either.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Jane

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the tips and Donna, we do stay around levels 3-5 b/c we find we get less seasick.

We used to use a travel agent when planning cruises and had a bad experience and the last two times did it directly and it was so smooth and easy, we just did it that way again.

Royal assigned us the oceanview room on the 3rd floor toward the front near the tropical theatre.

I have generally always been in a room in the middle of the ship and this one is far forward. I know in the aft you might hear the anchor go up and down but other than that, most posts I have read on the message board say the front is fine. Is that accurate?

I just dont know if i should call them back and get moved a level up, fourth floor more toward the center.

Any suggestions since I dont have a travel agent?
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Familiar Face

Default Serenade........ GREAT ship so far after 10 cruises

Unfortunately,sounds like you'll hear the anchor quite clearly. Or just go eat right before it docks =)

on another note... how rocky will this ship gets? sailing 6/28 leaving vacouver to alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmajoyce
Thanks for the tips and Donna, we do stay around levels 3-5 b/c we find we get less seasick.

We used to use a travel agent when planning cruises and had a bad experience and the last two times did it directly and it was so smooth and easy, we just did it that way again.

Royal assigned us the oceanview room on the 3rd floor toward the front near the tropical theatre.

I have generally always been in a room in the middle of the ship and this one is far forward. I know in the aft you might hear the anchor go up and down but other than that, most posts I have read on the message board say the front is fine. Is that accurate?

I just dont know if i should call them back and get moved a level up, fourth floor more toward the center.

Any suggestions since I dont have a travel agent?
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Stay to the center of the ship, certainly not the front, thats where you bob up and down most.. obstructed views are usually if your port hole is located at the same level the life boats are.. your view will be a big orange boat! If you arent in your cabin much, which is most cases, than so what! You have a window and light will get in so at least you know what time of the day it is! And really the only time on vacation you need to know is if it is day time or night time! lol

I prefer to book a cruise cheapest at inside rate- use my money elsewhere... my only complaint about that is I hate waking up in pitch black darkness! Its really freaking dark lol ... no clocks in the room and you never know what time it is! I brought a mini alarm clock last time, only so i knew if it was 5am go back to sleep or 7am morning lol other wise the cabin is my least concern!! Even if they got smaller (IF possible!), i wouldnt care.
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Familiar Face

Default thks for advice!!!!!!!!!!!

stayed on deck 10 fwd on the pride of hawaii this past new yr..... boy was it an adventure; wife was sick so ate dinner mostly in the room. So i was wondering if the alaska path might be just as bad as the hawaii route; we are staying mid deck 4 on the serenade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Rights
Stay to the center of the ship, certainly not the front, thats where you bob up and down most.. obstructed views are usually if your port hole is located at the same level the life boats are.. your view will be a big orange boat! If you arent in your cabin much, which is most cases, than so what! You have a window and light will get in so at least you know what time of the day it is! And really the only time on vacation you need to know is if it is day time or night time! lol

I prefer to book a cruise cheapest at inside rate- use my money elsewhere... my only complaint about that is I hate waking up in pitch black darkness! Its really freaking dark lol ... no clocks in the room and you never know what time it is! I brought a mini alarm clock last time, only so i knew if it was 5am go back to sleep or 7am morning lol other wise the cabin is my least concern!! Even if they got smaller (IF possible!), i wouldnt care.
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ive never stayed on Serenade, but looking forward to her for the Oct 3 Hawaii circle =)

Most rci ships are the same so every ones advice about stay low, deck 3,4 makes sense... the less high you are in rocky waters, the less you "fall"..

center of the ship is less rocky... its balanced. The front obviously is up and down. The back is usually where the dining room is and is where i usually feel the most motion sick. When eating dinner.

btw if you are feeling sick- dont go in your cabin! go outside and get fresh air! the cabin makes it worse. Also rci hands out dramamine free like candy, go to the front desk and get a truck load.
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Familiar Face

Default sorry, no drug..........

it's for the wife(26 wks pregnant when sail)... she got sick on the pride of hawaii..... so was wondering how bad will the alaska route be leaving from vancouver
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Familiar Face

Default is the stadium seating movie theatre still on the ship?????

??????????
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:37 PM
First Mate

Default Re: sorry, no drug..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2903
it's for the wife(26 wks pregnant when sail)... she got sick on the pride of hawaii..... so was wondering how bad will the alaska route be leaving from vancouver
As you leave Vancouver there is a short section of ocean that can be rocky until you get into the inside passage. It is really not a big deal. The Hawaii waters can get very rough it will be nothing like that I am sure. Once in the passage it should be calm.
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:08 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity
Default Re: sorry, no drug..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2903
There are wristbands that you can get for sea sickess, no drugs involved.

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006