Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Familiar Face

Default leaving out of bayonne, nj

This is the first time we will be leaving out of bayonne and i would like to know what time should we get there to avoid long lines. our ship sails at 5:00. We usually leave out of new york and after 11:30 it gets very crowded and the lines are long. Any info would be appreciated. quincy
rccl explorer 2007
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:58 AM
First Mate

Quincy, we leave out of this port in less than a year so we are wondering the same thing.

Also what is there to do in the area, we're flying in a couple of days ahead of the cruise.

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Familiar Face

it depends where you are staying. maybe g oing into new york to do some sightseeing or see a play. where is your hotel? quincy
rccl explorer 2007
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM
First Mate

We're working on that now. Would like a Hilton so we can earn some points or by then use them to "pay" for the room!

We have NEVER been in this area so it's all new to us and we're clueless

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default How Do You Get There?

I'd love to take one of the ships that leaves from Bayonne, but I have no idea how to get there. I live up in the Hudson Valley and I usually take the Amtrak/Metro-North or Trailways to NYC. I have no idea how I'd get to Bayonne from the Port Authority Bldg or Penn/Grand Central Station.

I have been limited to Carnival because it is easy to get there.

If anyone has a good idea, please tell me. We're planning a cruise for the spring '08. Please tell me I have an option of taking one of those ships!
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quincy -

I have cruised from Bayonne three times, all setting sail at 5pm. Each time we made sure we got to the pier around 11:00am-11:30am. The longest we waited to board was about 30 minutes, but I'd rather be at the pier early so I can be one of the first people to board than to be late and watch everyone going ahead of me. The last time we didn't even have to wait, we jumped on the shuttle and were taken directly to the ship.

Just remember, make sure you carry-on isn't too heavy because you can't get into your cabin until 1pm.

Have a great cruise!!

Sharon
Norwegian Gem
Voyager of the Seas - X2
Empress of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Celebrity Horizon
Monarch of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Carnival Fantasy
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Familiar Face

thanks sharonpsu. thats the answer i was looking for. i noticed that you have taken that cruise to bermuda on explorer. how did you like it. we usually take 7-8 day cruises, so this will be our first time on a shorter cruise. we have been to bermuda twice, and twice it rained so i'm hoping for a sunny day. We do have a balcony this time which is a first also. thanks for the reply. quincy
rccl explorer 2007
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

I like cruises that are 7-12 nights so my Bermuda cruise seemed to just fly by...it was over before I knew it. But hey, a 5-night cruise is better than a 5-day work week!!! I hope you have sunny days this time around and, enjoy your balcony!

Happy Cruising!

Sharon
Norwegian Gem
Voyager of the Seas - X2
Empress of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Celebrity Horizon
Monarch of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Carnival Fantasy
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default solo 1959

As a former New Yorker who is knowedgeable about Port Authority,

my guess is that you simply the bus you always do into Port Authority
and then take a bus to the Bayonne Pier from Port Authoity.

It would have to be the Bayonne Pier, NOT Bayonne proper.

Also, call Royal - they will transfer you to customer service.

If not, call Port Authority directly and ask for bus directions.

Diane

Bayonne NJ and Liberty Park are, I believe, one and the same.

But check!

You can see it from the Jersey Turnpike.

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Old August 10th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

According to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port website - http://www.cruiseliberty.com/dirpark.htm - there are no buses that run directly to the pier.

• By Bus
From the Port Authority Bus Terminal, take the 99S bus to Bayonne. The 99S bus travels along Kennedy Boulevard into Bayonne and stops on request every three blocks. When you reach 33rd Street and Kennedy Boulevard in Bayonne, you will be at the closest point on the bus route to the cruise port. Call one of the three Bayonne cab companies to drive you to the cruise port, which is about three miles east of Kennedy Boulevard.
Norwegian Gem
Voyager of the Seas - X2
Empress of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Celebrity Horizon
Monarch of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Carnival Fantasy
Old August 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianeteach68
....It would have to be the Bayonne Pier, NOT Bayonne proper.
Also, call Royal - they will transfer you to customer service.
If not, call Port Authority directly and ask for bus directions.
Diane
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_psu
• By Bus
From the Port Authority Bus Terminal, take the 99S bus to Bayonne. The 99S bus travels along Kennedy Boulevard into Bayonne and stops on request every three blocks. When you reach 33rd Street and Kennedy Boulevard in Bayonne, you will be at the closest point on the bus route to the cruise port. Call one of the three Bayonne cab companies to drive you to the cruise port, which is about three miles east of Kennedy Boulevard.
Thank you both for your help. I will try calling Royal Carib 1st to see if they might offer "transfers" of some sort, which I doubt. Other than that, I might have to make a test-run some weekend when I'm free to see how Sharon's instructions work in real-life. If it's crazy, busy, crowded confusing I might not want to do it with luggage for the cruise, but if it's pretty straightforward, it might be a great option. I'm close enough that a test-run is doable.

Thank you both again.
Old August 18th, 2007, 06:27 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

I agree with Sharon. Last year, we got there at 10:30, and were "fighting" the traffic from the people still getting off.

This year, we got there at 11, and everything went so smoothly. It also helped that they moved the parking to the other side of the terminal.

Check in and check out in Bayonne is a BREEZE!
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:22 PM
Passenger

Default Re: How Do You Get There?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo1959
I'd love to take one of the ships that leaves from Bayonne, but I have no idea how to get there. I live up in the Hudson Valley and I usually take the Amtrak/Metro-North or Trailways to NYC. I have no idea how I'd get to Bayonne from the Port Authority Bldg or Penn/Grand Central Station.

I have been limited to Carnival because it is easy to get there.

If anyone has a good idea, please tell me. We're planning a cruise for the spring '08. Please tell me I have an option of taking one of those ships!
Go to NYC on the train, call RCI prior to your trip I am SURE they have shuttles that pick up at the train staion, just like they pick up at the airport. If not take a cab. Don't let this stop you.