CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   Royal Caribbean International (
-   -   Number of suitcases (

Dianeteach68 August 13th, 2007 01:14 AM

Number of suitcases
Never been on a 7 day before. Any help with a packing list would be appreciated.

Try as I might, I cannot get my husband to even think about packing, so I will think about me.

Donna August 13th, 2007 08:48 AM

If you are flying into a cruiseport, you'll need to pack according to whatever airlines you are using. They have size/weight restrictions. For a 7 night cruise, you should be able to get by with one suitcase and garment bag, and then a carry-on. Just check the airlines you are using.

Cathy100 August 13th, 2007 11:48 AM

I have trouble overpacking so this year I have heard the thing to do is lay out everything you want to take and then put back 1/2 on it. I am going to try this. I always overpack and the packing isn't a big deal it's the unpacking. UGH!!!! I'm also going to try and cut down on the shoes I take. I think last cruise I took 10 pairs of shoes..... Wore about 3 of them.

acc82 August 13th, 2007 02:45 PM

whenever we fly, we always have to abide by the weight restrictions, so it's hard. we always pack one large suitcase a piece for checking. we also pack and empty suitcase in our bag for the stuff we buy on the cruise for the return home. We also each take a backpack for carry on. This year we are driving, so we CAN take more luggage (200lbs max) but we won't because the staterooms do comfortably only hold so much. I usually make it so that i can wear a pair of jeans 2 or 3 nights (only wear them at night and they don't get dirty). Then bring a pair of shorts for every day. Limit shoes, one pair of sandals, one pair of evening shoes, and one pair of tennis shoes. just try to mutitask with your clothes. :-)

Rev22:17 August 13th, 2007 09:00 PM

Re: Number of suitcases

Originally Posted by You
Never been on a 7 day before. Any help with a packing list would be appreciated.

Try as I might, I cannot get my husband to even think about packing, so I will think about me.

There's a packing list for a fourteen night cruise in the first post of [url=]this thread[/i] on the "Cruise Dress and Packing" board. If you cut all of the quantities in half, rounding all fractions up, and make the adjustments suggested in that post, it should be about right.

I pack all of the whole list for men in a "pilot's case" (22" roller back) and a "two suiter" (26" roller back) with room to spare, and I'm well within the standard luggage allowance of the major airlines. I think that the list for women will fit in about the same capacity. With half the quantity, you should have no problem fitting everything into two bags each.

Have a great cruise!

arkiegal August 14th, 2007 06:56 PM

One of the most helpful books I ever read was about 20 years ago about "capsule" wardrobes. The idea is to pack a small number of pieces all in one of 2 colors or a combination of the 2. This way everything you take will co-ordinate and you can make tons of outfits. I have used this method for travel ever since-even if just for a weekend. On cruises I have used black/tan, white/tan, denim/camel, and black/blue. We went to visit our son in KC last weekend and I took 5 pieces that would have made about 15 different outfits if I had needed to. On a cruise the trick is to take casual and dressier pieces that will go together and don't forget a light jacket or sweater that goes with everything!