Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Number of suitcases

Never been on a 7 day before. Any help with a packing list would be appreciated.

Try as I might, I cannot get my husband to even think about packing, so I will think about me.

Thanks
Diane

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

If you are flying into a cruiseport, you'll need to pack according to whatever airlines you are using. They have size/weight restrictions. For a 7 night cruise, you should be able to get by with one suitcase and garment bag, and then a carry-on. Just check the airlines you are using.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have trouble overpacking so this year I have heard the thing to do is lay out everything you want to take and then put back 1/2 on it. I am going to try this. I always overpack and the packing isn't a big deal it's the unpacking. UGH!!!! I'm also going to try and cut down on the shoes I take. I think last cruise I took 10 pairs of shoes..... Wore about 3 of them.
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Passenger

whenever we fly, we always have to abide by the weight restrictions, so it's hard. we always pack one large suitcase a piece for checking. we also pack and empty suitcase in our bag for the stuff we buy on the cruise for the return home. We also each take a backpack for carry on. This year we are driving, so we CAN take more luggage (200lbs max) but we won't because the staterooms do comfortably only hold so much. I usually make it so that i can wear a pair of jeans 2 or 3 nights (only wear them at night and they don't get dirty). Then bring a pair of shorts for every day. Limit shoes, one pair of sandals, one pair of evening shoes, and one pair of tennis shoes. just try to mutitask with your clothes. :-)
RCCL - Freedom of the seas - Western Caribbean 2006
RCCL - Mariner of the seas - Western Caribbean 2005
RCCL - Enchantment of the seas - Western Caribbean 2004
RCCL - Explorer of the seas - Eastern Caribbean 2004

I'm finally a platinum C&A!
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Number of suitcases

Diane,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Never been on a 7 day before. Any help with a packing list would be appreciated.

Try as I might, I cannot get my husband to even think about packing, so I will think about me.
There's a packing list for a fourteen night cruise in the first post of [url=http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=557777]this thread[/i] on the "Cruise Dress and Packing" board. If you cut all of the quantities in half, rounding all fractions up, and make the adjustments suggested in that post, it should be about right.

I pack all of the whole list for men in a "pilot's case" (22" roller back) and a "two suiter" (26" roller back) with room to spare, and I'm well within the standard luggage allowance of the major airlines. I think that the list for women will fit in about the same capacity. With half the quantity, you should have no problem fitting everything into two bags each.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:56 PM
First Mate

One of the most helpful books I ever read was about 20 years ago about "capsule" wardrobes. The idea is to pack a small number of pieces all in one of 2 colors or a combination of the 2. This way everything you take will co-ordinate and you can make tons of outfits. I have used this method for travel ever since-even if just for a weekend. On cruises I have used black/tan, white/tan, denim/camel, and black/blue. We went to visit our son in KC last weekend and I took 5 pieces that would have made about 15 different outfits if I had needed to. On a cruise the trick is to take casual and dressier pieces that will go together and don't forget a light jacket or sweater that goes with everything!