Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Malta Med

Easy embarkation in Barcelona at about 11-30am. It is much easier if you have the Set-Sail Passes printed and ready.

This was our first ever cruise, so we really didn't know what to expect.
We found the room a little bit small for the three of us (2 adults 1 13yrs old child), but now that we know, we can get a bigger room if we cruise again.

Voyager is HUGE! We docked and moorded next to other cruise ships as we visited different ports but Voyager made them look like tender boats!
Personally I thought the ship was showing her age. There is some work going on to "spruce her up", with new carpets being laid etc, but maybe a lick of paint would do the trick?

Ports: -

Barcelona:
We boarded in Barcelona having spent 2 nights in the city. If I have any advice to give those reading this review then it would be DON'T. We last visited Barca in 2004 and had a wonderful time but now, it is grubby, smelly, over-priced and unwelcoming.

Villefranche:
Beautiful. Excursions were on offer to Nice, Monaco & St Paul but we stayed around the harbour and town of Villefranche. It is very picturesque, with narrow streets and a small flea market. This is a tendered port with tender boats every 15 mins or so. A very relaxing place to visit.

Civitavecchia:
Romes port! We found the RCCI excusions extortionate! So we decided to try our luck at local transport. We got the 08-41hrs train to Roma Termini which took 1hr 15mins. We then boarded an open top bus and toured the city.
RCCI wanted $76 EACH just to take us to Rome. We payed 9Euro each plus 19euro EACH on the bus. It is a very quick visit (no matter how you do it) so be prepared just to see the highlights and return. The trains are at 08 & 38mins past the hour on your return.
TIP: - DO NOT LEAVE IT UNTIL THE LAST AVAILABLE TRAIN TO RETURN TO THE SHIP! THIS TRAIN IS OFTEN CANCELLED! GET THE 14-38 TO BE SAFE!!!

Naples:
We never left the ship for this port. Everyone from waiters to bartenders warned us about the roberries that are more and more frequent in Naples, so we gave it a miss.

Malta:
Malta is lovely! A very quaint island and a blast from the past! Everyone should use the local bus into Valletta. 1Euro will get you the orange bus into the town centre AND RETURN!! Buses range from 5yrs old to 50yrs old and are a great experience. There are horse and cart trips available and we took one. It is only when you realise later that you have just spent $140 that it was you being taken for the ride. It didn't deminish from the from the experience but I felt you should be warned.

Sea Day:
I'll use this to vent my spleen! Being on VOS was a joy! Being with some of my fellow passengers was not! I had the misfortune to meet some of the rudest people on the planet onboard, mainly from Spain and Italy. Queues for these people didn't exist. Decorum is a byword for rudeness. Apparently, Formal Night means bikini and shorts. I could go on but I can feel my blood pressure rising as I type!!!!!!!
On another point, I was sat with my son (13) and wife in the Solarium and was approached by a member of staff who told me that my son, who was playing cards with me, was not allowed in the area, as he wasn't an adult. Less than 15mins earlier, however, I was told that my son was welcome in the area but not in the jaccuzzi or pool. Now, there are two issues here, firstly, why are the staff not singing from the same hymn sheet and giving different guidance and secondly, if someone pays an adult price (which he did) then why should he not be allowed in an adult area?

Palma:
We have visited Palma before and didn't feel the need to do so again.

Overall, I would sail on VOS again and would probably use RCCI again but NEVER EVER from Barcelona, or other southern european ports!
I've heard it said that Americans are the rudest people on the planet, well I'm sorry to disappoint you! The rudest people are southern europeans by a mile!
Sponsored Links