Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Familiar Face

Default Opinion on Adventure of the Seas from San Juan

Hey All,

Well, after much debate my girlfriend and I are seriously considering taking a trip on the Adventure of the Seas this February and wanted to get some input on this cruise from people who have taken it before.

The ship's scheduled itinerary is San Juan -> Oranjestad, Aruba -> Willemstad, Curacao -> St. Maarten -> St. Thomas -> San Juan.

How are these islands for excursions? We're in our late 20's and are fairly active so we'll be looking to do adventurous type things on shore.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

I didn't do that particular itinerary, but I did leave from San Juan on that ship. It was one of my favorite cruises. There is so much to do on board. I am sure you can find something adventurous to do in any of the port cities. Have a great time..I think you made a good choice.
Sensation '99, '04, '08
Triumph '99 & '03
Victory '00 & '02
Imagination '01
Fascination '05
Navigator Sept '05, Jan '09, Mar 10
Valor Aug 6, 2006, Sept 2010
Adventure 10/06
Elation Nov. 30 2006
Majesty OS June 8 2007
Glory Dec 07
Destiny 8/09, 10/11
Oasis Dec. 2009
Allure Dec 2010
Carnival Dream 3/11
Monarch OS 8/11
Freedom OS 12/4/11

Old August 27th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Tim...Great pick...the ship is great, with lot to do while on board. The ice-shows are amazing so be sure to get your "free" tickets from the Pursers Desk ahead of time, because they only give out so many to accomodate the space in the show-theaters. If you like adventure you must try the rock-climbing wall on board...it's fun and a great view from the top. Although I've been to all of these ports, I really can't give you too much advice on any adventurous excursions...but I can offer you some great advice on beaches. In Aruba the best beach is Palm Beach...every hotel resort you can think of lies on this beach and they offer every kind of water-sports...including parasailing, which I plan to do when I revisit Aruba in October.
In St. Maarten there is a Dutch side and French side....we took a taxi to the French side and went to Orient Beach...another great beach that has everything from water-sports to beach bars and resturants.
St. Thomas is great...if you have the opportunity you should do the Champagne Catamaran Snorkel trip which takes you through St. Thomas to snorkel and over to St. John to one of their beaches....great excursion and well worth the money! It's been years since I've visited Curacao...but when we went we only went to the beach than shopping. Enjoy your cruise...the ship is lovely and there is tons to do. Happy Cruising!

Jessie
CCL: Celebration 5/07
Crown Princess 10/07

Free Cruise Clocks
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Passenger

Just did that cruise last week. One of the best. I've been on Radiance and Explorer and was not impressed with the service or food. Adventure of the Seas redeemed RCL in those areas. Our waiter this time was the best in 7 cruises.

We went to Palm beach in Aruba. Another person on the cruise had been there and said it was great. I wasn't impressed. Did snorkeling in Cureceo which was excellent. Orient beach in St Maartin was impressive and had alot of water sports. Bars were expensive on the french side and super cheap on the dutch side. Went shopping in St Thomas and got some great jewelry deals. Also jumped on a trolley tour of the place and it was beautiful. We intended to go to Megan's Bay but didn't. Sorry we didn't. Will do that next year on our cruise. Going back on Adventurer we liked it so much.
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the input everyone! It looks like this is our #1 choice, now it's just a matter of getting a decent price on the cruise (price just jumped) as well as airfair to San Juan.

As a side note, I find it unfortunate how few ships RCI has departing from Miami, especially considering how cheap you can fly into miami from most major cities.... I only count two 7 day caribbean cruises coming out of Miami each week, didn't it used to be much more?