Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to tk0016
Default My teens on a cruise?

My husband and I are considering a family cruise in March 2008. This will be our second cruise as a couple, first with the kids. First cruise was NCL, around Hawaii - horrible cruise, beautiful ports. We want to go the Caribbean and are thinking of the Serenade of the Seas. It would be during Spring Break as my kids are 16 and 13. I also can't spend a fortune, so the bigger, newer ships - Liberty and Adventure are not in the budget for that particular week. I don't want their first cruise to be on an older ship and I'd rather not have an older crowd that would make me and my children uncomfortable, because they don't want teens on their cruise. The reviews for this ship have been good from what I've read so far. Any advice or better suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Beginner

You should do a family cruise. We have been on 2 with our teen son and he said these were his favorite vacations. We are planning another cruise next Feb. We have traveled during Spring Break and the fall both times there were many kids around and we never felt out of place. Have Fun!
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Beginner

I think your whole family will love Serenade. It's our favorite ship, and there are always a good mix of ages. During spring break, there will be plenty of kids aboard, and there will be lots for them to do. You definitely won't have a problem with people objecting to being around your kids!
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Things have changed...

If any of you are planning a spring break cruise with your children, please remember that if you live in Florida, Spring Break is now 2 - 3 weeks later. Check with your local school district. It is because of the late start to the school year that parents requested.

Mine is not until either the 3rd of 4th week of March rather than the 1st or 2nd week of March. The FCAT tests have also been delayed so be careful about booking dates as your family cruise may fall during FCAT testing.

Just a heads up!

Diane
Middle School Math teacher

11 days until I sail MOS!

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Old September 1st, 2007, 01:59 AM
Beginner

Default Shorter cruise suggestions?

I live in Arizona, so Spring Break isn't changing for us. However, the prices are so high for that week... I think we may either have to take a shorter cruise or do it in February around President's Day - we have that day off as well as a half day on Wednesday. I just can't justify my kids missing too many days of school, even if it is for our first and last family vacation together. Any suggestions on RCL cruises that are 4-5 days long and on a decent, younger ship?
Old September 1st, 2007, 02:16 PM
Captain

TK:

My wife and I just got off a 4 day cruise to Bahamas yesterday on the Sovereign of the Seas....It was OUTSTANDING and I think it would be a good cruise for your family.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the newer/older ship thing. The Sovereign is "older" by today's standards I guess. However, we found it extremely clean, smooth sailing and very beautiful. Remember, most of these "older" ships, including the Sovereign, have had MAJOR rennovations/upgrades done to them (most of them very recently). It is also very easy to navigate your way around after you've only been on an hour or so. We were also worried about 4 days being enough (I had also been on a 4 day cruise on Carnival about seven years ago). To be honest, I think I'm a 4, 5 or possibly 6 day cruise kinda guy and 4 seemed like plenty. Don't get me wrong, we loved every minute of it...It's just so much excess everything when you are on board...Hard to explain and most probably wouldn't agree with me on that I suppose.

By the way, RCI blows Carnival away when it comes to their staff, service and food...Just my opinion. Check out the Sovereign!
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:26 AM
First Mate

Your teens will love crusing during spring break. Most older people know to stay away from that time because there are hundreds of kids onboard.

We went with Carnival during spring break. There were at least 300 teens onboard and our son had a blast. They also had a teen center and during certain night time hours, the disco was just for teens.

We loved Royal Caribbean but you might want to take a look at Carnival. The cost is a tad bit less and the atmosphere, food, staff and rooms are all fantastic. You would be giving up the minature golf, rock climbing and inline skating from Royal Caribbean but that only took up less then 2 hours of our cruise.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Beginner

We were on the Serenade over spring break with 3 kids ages 18, 15 & 11. It was a trip we will long remember. Our fifteen year old tried the teen club, but felt uncomfortable. The group ended up roaming the ship. Our 11 year old went to the kids club for a few hours and didn't want to go back either. In the end it didn't really matter since this is a port intensive cruise. We spent every day in port and in the evening went to the shows together after dinner. Outside of the late night shows they were all family friendly and I wouldn't miss them. There was also trivia, the pools etc. Some nights the kids went back to the room after the night show and watched tv, especially since we were up early and on the go every day. There was never a boring moment and our cabin attendents were great with the kids. You will have a wonderful time. We only did about 2 ship excursions since it was pricey for a family of 5. However, we did spend time at 2 beaches, shopped, and rented cars on a couple islands. Make sure you factor in gratuities, it does add up!
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have to second the fact that the "older" ships are still a wonderful choice. My first RCI was on the Majesty, and I loved it so much we sailed it again. The Sovereign too, is a pretty ship, and they are easy to get around. With sailing during spring break, your kids will always be smiling!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 6th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: My teens on a cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk0016
My husband and I are considering a family cruise in March 2008. This will be our second cruise as a couple, first with the kids. First cruise was NCL, around Hawaii - horrible cruise, beautiful ports. We want to go the Caribbean and are thinking of the Serenade of the Seas. It would be during Spring Break as my kids are 16 and 13. I also can't spend a fortune, so the bigger, newer ships - Liberty and Adventure are not in the budget for that particular week. I don't want their first cruise to be on an older ship and I'd rather not have an older crowd that would make me and my children uncomfortable, because they don't want teens on their cruise. The reviews for this ship have been good from what I've read so far. Any advice or better suggestions? Thanks
We are taking our 14 year old on the Navigator (newer ship) leaving March 15. It's a 5 night cruise and to save money due to the expensive time of year, we've booked an OV on deck 2; plus, flying to FLL two days earlier on our own is actually the same price as using cruise/air through RCI even when you factor in 2 nights in a hotel and meals. This way we are guaranteed to make the ship as opposed to flying in the day of, and the airfare was much cheaper on the 13th. Not sure of your exact dates, but we were also looking at the Enchantment which I hear great things about since they did a major refurbishment. The prices are rising quickly, though.

Having been on a Voyager class ship, I think this ship is great for teens because of the promenade, and all of the other activities, like the ice show, and I believe there is a rock climbing wall.
Old September 9th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Beginner

paige-

Wow, after much debating, we have changed our plans and decided on that very same cruise. The Navigator on the 15th of March. The ship sounds wonderful and I figured 5 days would be just about right for the 4 of us.
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk0016
paige-

Wow, after much debating, we have changed our plans and decided on that very same cruise. The Navigator on the 15th of March. The ship sounds wonderful and I figured 5 days would be just about right for the 4 of us.
That's great! What type of cabin are you getting? Like I said, we opted for the standard OV on deck 2 to save money; especially for excursions. When we did our other family cruise we got a suite, but are on a tighter budget this time, so the cabin size will be an adjustment, but I'm sure that with the ship being so fabulous we will just use the room to sleep and change.

Have you actually booked the cruise? If so, are you doing RCI sponsored excursions? If you have any questions, let me know because I have been researching this cruise endlessly for the past two weeks.
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:57 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Ohiocruiser Send a message via Yahoo to Ohiocruiser

TK

We have 5 families going on the Nav of the Seas on 4-3-08... kids ranging in ages 16 year old girls, 14,13,11,9 year old boys and a 5 year old girl.. I think it will be a blast.. i have yet to find anyone else going on this cruise besides dpeeps and we are with her lol..
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Things have changed...

Diane,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If any of you are planning a spring break cruise with your children, please remember that if you live in Florida, Spring Break is now 2 - 3 weeks later. Check with your local school district. It is because of the late start to the school year that parents requested.

Mine is not until either the 3rd of 4th week of March rather than the 1st or 2nd week of March. The FCAT tests have also been delayed so be careful about booking dates as your family cruise may fall during FCAT testing.

Just a heads up!
The reality is that just about every week from the third week of February through the last full week of April is a school vacation week somewhere in the United States. Here in Massachusetts and to our north in Maine, most school districts close during the week of President's Day (third Monday in February) and the week of Patriot's Day (third Monday in April). North of the border, most of New Hampshire's schools close the following weeks because... well, having the people who work in the ski resorts and other tourist facilities go on vacation when folks from two neighboring states are coming to use those facilities just wouldn't do, now, would it? And across the country, you'll find school districts somwhere that take off pretty much all of the weeks in between. So for a family cruise with youth or teens, any time from the middle of February to the end of April would be ideal.

And for those who don't know, Patriot's Day is a holiday in Massachusetts and Maine (formerly part of Massachusetts) commemorating the Battle of Concord and Lexington, fought on 19 April 1775 following the famous ride of Paul Revere (immortalized by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in the poem "Paul Revere's Ride") and William Dawes (one of our nation's first black heros) to alert the militias that the British forces were coming, marking the first shots of the American Revolutionary War. Ralph Waldo Emmerson immortalized the battle in "The Concord Hymn" in 1937. It's the first stanza of this hymn that's inscribed on the base of the minuteman statute in front of the North Bridge in Concord.

Norm.