Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Passenger

Default Misc Questions for New England cruise on Explorer of the Sea

Just some questions, thanks for any input. In thase past, we have only cruised the Carribean

1) Should I expect calmer or rougher seas in general... just was wondering about this...

2) Is it mostly open water while cruising or see coast a lot? We leave from Cape Liberty to CT to Nova Scotia and then stop Maine, Boston on way back (I think, this is from my memory)

3) This will be August 2008, but will it be cold up on deck at night, in open sea...

4) Will there be a lot of kids on this cruise? We have a nine yr old girl and eight yr old boy. And, I'm pretty strict about them not being a nuisance to me or others, but just wondeirng about the others. On the Disney cruise at times, the sheer # of kids/noise drove me bonkers. On the other hand, I hope there are some kids for them to hang out....

5) I have heard that there are parades in middle area of Explorer of the Sea, and I wonder what is the best place to view from. My parents will have an inside promenade room.

6) For this boat/itinerary, what are the best family experiences to joy, something really fun to do as a family with the kids and grandparents
Thanks for any input...

Josie
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Hi! I've never done this cruise, but can give you some details living in the Northeast.

1) Rough seas - Depends on what's happening in the Atlantic at that time. If there's a hurricane hitting Florida area at that time, it can be felt this far north, but maybe not that much.
August has a tendency to be pretty violent with thunderstorms that go out to sea because of the high humidity at that time. This is "peak" season for us for thunderstorms.
That being said - the Northeast is wayyyyyyyy overdue for a hurricane hit. We haven't had one in 20 years now & that's just about unheard of for this long. Get the insurance because if your cruise gets cancelled or the itinerary , there's no other place for your ship to go to other than Bermuda. We don't have many ports or choices here in the Northeast.

2) I think....you are mostly at sea, I don't know if you can see the land from the ocean, but its deep here, so maybe you can. (Any folks that have done this cruise???) At night you'll probably see the lights. Our shores are very crowded with big cities.

3) No, it should not be too cold on deck at night although the closer you get to Canada, expect the temperature to drop. Again, you are heading North, so temps do drop. Depends on the weather at the time also.

4) Kids....hard to tell. Depends on when your cruise is. Many schools are now in session in August & no longer after Labor Day as it use to be for many. Most people are also getting their kids ready for school again. I think most people would not do this cruise with kids since its not really a cruise that kids might be interested? I'd say....maybe...15% might be kids. Definately don't do a Disney cruise if kids drive you crazy - that's all Disney gears to is for kids.

5) See the parade from your parents room.

6) Check out what's available & see what everyone likes. That's a hard question to answer because everyone is different.

Hope this helps!!

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Passenger

We did that trip last year and it was great. Seas were not rough at all. Great ports.
Majesty of the Seas 4/05
Disney Magic 8/04
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Familiar Face

Well, I work right in Portland so I can probably shed some light on this.

Out on the ocean the weather will be warm during the day (70's) and cool at night (60's early August, 50's late August). In port the weather will probably be about 10 degrees warmer. The ocean up here only get's in the 60's so depending on how far from shore you are the water can really cool things off. If you bring a sweatshirt or light jacket I'm sure you'll be fine, it's real nice that time of year.

As others have said, the seas are typicaly pretty calm unless there's a tropical storm out to see which isn't that often. Typically swells at sea are only about 4-5 feet which is pretty small.

While in Portland I suggest a trip down to Portland Headlight/Fort Williams which is a real nice recreational area. Also, several of the islands in Casco bay are great to go biking on or just to walk around on and explore old forts. Portland's Old Port is also great for window shopping, people watching and nightlife if you'll be there into the evening.

I was watching the news just the other day and saw that the EotS was in Portland for the day. Beautiful ship, I'm sure you'll have fun!
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Passenger

Thanks again for the input. As you said you did this cruise last year, not sure of the time you went, but did you see any whales from the boat... just curious
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Misc Questions for New England cruise on Explorer of the

Hi - we just returned from this cruise (8/31-9/9) - I believe it was the first time for this itinerary out of Cape Liberty - and will try to answer your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieRhodes
Just some questions, thanks for any input. In thase past, we have only cruised the Carribean

1) Should I expect calmer or rougher seas in general... just was wondering about this...

I never even knew the ship was moving - with a ship this size, it would really have to be super rough seas to even feel it.

2) Is it mostly open water while cruising or see coast a lot? We leave from Cape Liberty to CT to Nova Scotia and then stop Maine, Boston on way back (I think, this is from my memory)

Mostly open water - several people saw whales and many saw dolphins - guess I didn't spend much time looking.

3) This will be August 2008, but will it be cold up on deck at night, in open sea...

Evenings will probably be cool and windy.

4) Will there be a lot of kids on this cruise? We have a nine yr old girl and eight yr old boy. And, I'm pretty strict about them not being a nuisance to me or others, but just wondeirng about the others. On the Disney cruise at times, the sheer # of kids/noise drove me bonkers. On the other hand, I hope there are some kids for them to hang out....

We were told that the week before we sailed there were 1,000 kids on board - our week (when most schools were open) there were only 80 - most were infants/toddlers.

5) I have heard that there are parades in middle area of Explorer of the Sea, and I wonder what is the best place to view from. My parents will have an inside promenade room.

The view should be good from your parents' room, but the kids would probably enjoy being more "up close and personal" with the paraders (they stop to shake hands and there is confetti raining down), so I'd find a place near the Promande Cafe.

6) For this boat/itinerary, what are the best family experiences to joy, something really fun to do as a family with the kids and grandparents
Thanks for any input...

On board, miniature golf is fun for all age groups - and don't miss the ice show. The kids will enjoy ice skating and perhaps the rock wall (bring long pants/socks) - grandparents will enjoy watching and cheering for them. Ports are friendly for all ages - Mystic Aquarium/Acadia Park/Kennebunkport/Peggy's Cove.
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Josei,
http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=3137

I see my wife in short sleeves in Oct. 2006 in Halifax. In August, you would think it would be warmer.

Don't know if you get to Quebec City, but it is beautiful. The St.Lawerence Seaway is interesting.