Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Travel Agent USA/UK

I am in the UK and have been looking to book our next cruise.

I have been checking out American travel agencies and the prices are remarkably cheaper.
My question is.......can anyone foresee any pitfalls with a UK citizen booking a cruise through an American travel agent?

Thanks in advance

Mark
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'm Canadian, and I've never faced any problems booking with an American agent.
Not quite the same I know, but other than normal pitfalls of being certain you're dealing with a solid travel agent, I don't see any other issues you'll run into.
Old September 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for this Kuki,

As you are a seasoned traveller and cruiser, what can you tell me about how I can ensure that I am on a legitimate TA site, in the US?

I'd be grateful for some genuine site/company names. If you don't want to post them on this site then, please, email me, my address is Marko1878@hotmail.co.uk

I am genuinely looking to use a USA TA but I am full of trepidation. If there are any US travel agents accessing this site then please post your thoughts or email me at the address shown.

Regards

Mark

Voyager Of The Seas AUG 07-----Fabulous!
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel
Default Re: Travel Agent USA/UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannysdad

I have been checking out American travel agencies and the prices are remarkably cheaper.
My question is.......can anyone foresee any pitfalls with a UK citizen booking a cruise through an American travel agent?

Thanks in advance

Mark
Mark,
That's interesting. We travel with a couple from Blackpool and we are always thinking they get better deals than we do. I would think that any TA in UK would be able to get the American price for you and maybe cheaper. Try another UK TA.
Our friends daughter was a UK TA at one time and we had her book a cruise for us. It was cheaper, but I couldn't get U.S Travel protection Insurance, and being a U.S citizen, couldn't get any in UK.
I am not sure what Travel Protection Insurance you have in UK, but check and see if you can buy it in UK. Can you as a citizen of UK buy it with a U.S company. That would be the only drawback I would see.
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Scapel,

A Princess cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on 26th Oct 2008 for four people is £1338 per person for a mini suite, from a UK agent (approx $2676). The very same mini suite, on the very same cruise, I have been quoted from a US travel agent $956-00 + flights. Return flights to F/Laud are approx $700. Total $1656 a saving of $1020. Giving the exchange rate as approx 2to1.
This is a Caribbean cruise, rather than a Med.
A HUGE difference in price is it not?
I'd be interested in the UK travel agent that your friends from Blackpool use (40miles away)

Regards

Mark
Apologies for using Princess on RCCI site!!
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Quote:
Hi Scapel,

A Princess cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on 26th Oct 2008 for four people is £1338 per person for a mini suite, from a UK agent (approx $2676). The very same mini suite, on the very same cruise, I have been quoted from a US travel agent $956-00 + flights. Return flights to F/Laud are approx $700. Total $1656 a saving of $1020. Giving the exchange rate as approx 2to1.
This is a Caribbean cruise, rather than a Med.
A HUGE difference in price is it not?
I'd be interested in the UK travel agent that your friends from Blackpool use (40miles away)

Regards

Mark
Apologies for using Princess on RCCI site!!
Hi,
I have e-mailed friends in Blackpool and awaiting a reply for the name of the TA. They also have some kind of yearly travel insurance that we can't get in the US. I'm not sure how good it is, since I don't recallthem having to use it.
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Passenger

I'm a travel agent that specializes in Disney as well as cruises. I have many clients from UK, Australia and Japan. They too can get a much better deal by booking with an American agency. Don't be afraid to go with one, your money will go a heck of a lot further. Good Luck!
Old September 18th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Scapel,

Yearly insurance is widely available in the UK. Personally I don't directly pay for insurance!! My Travel Insurance is actually FREE! because of the bank I use. My current account (Cheque/Check) provides it, along with other benefits. (Free is a bit misleading, I pay $30-00, per month, for a whole host of benefits that includes "Free" insurance.)
I'm not sure if ANY uk insurance will cover for holidays/vacations booked through a US agent though??

Mark
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Travel Agent USA/UK

Quote:

Thanks in advance

Mark
Some of the american TA's have offices in other countries.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess