Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Default Thumbs up or down regarding the RCL Visa Card?

I just got a letter in the mail inviting me to apply for the Royal Caribbean Visa. I checked out their awards program on their site and it doesn't seem to be all that great, you have to have q lot of points to quality for a free cruise. Is anyone oin this program and do you find it worthwhile?

I build up American Airlines frequent flyer miles by "charging" my rent, groceries, gasoline, etc. on my Citibank debit/mastercard to use for free fligthts. But if it's worth it, I'd also like to build up for a free cruise or at least onboard credits with a cruise line.

Who
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Captain

Most financial advisers say to steer clear of the "rewards" programs. You've really got to build up some serious points with most of them to get anything decent. People think it's a good idea to charge fast food & everything else these days to get points...But when you think about it, you've literally FINANCED a big mac by doing this lol.

The card companies have made it so easy and hip to charge...Just look at their advertising. I personally wouldn't do it with the RCI card unless you pay off your balance every month and do a ton of cruising. Remember, RCI and whatever card company are doing it for their profit, not out of the goodness of their hearts. If were to build up enough for a "free" cruise, I imagine you would be surprised at some of the restrictions that would come with it.
Old September 14th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Admiral

I have an RCI Visa card, and I only use it for RCI purchases and in case of emergency. You get double points for any RCI purchases, so we put our cruise deposits and final payments, shore excursions and use it for our onboard account. Had it for a year now, and after our cruise on the Vision OTS starting next week, we will have enough points for a one person free, or we might wait and build it up for 2 persons free for a short cruise. Of course, we pay the card off right after we use it for the above purchases.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Thanks for your feedback so far... I think I'll hold off as I'd rather focus on airplane frequent flyer miles, which are earned faster than free stuff on RCI seems to be!
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've had the card for years, still not enough for a free cruise, but possibly an upgrade or something, not a big deal. I think I'd stick with the FF awards at this point.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 14th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Admiral

I guess it'd be O.K. if you pay it off in full each and every month. The interest rate is way, way too high, and the number of points accumulated doesn't offset the high rate IMO. I'd rather just use the bucks I save using my low interest rate card.

Ken
Old September 14th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Familiar Face

Went into debt chasing those damn rewards points on that card and only ended up with 15000 points and a $150 cruise credit. You know the cruiseline makes more money from Visa for the kickback then they pay out to customers. It's a joke don't do it.
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:12 PM
First Mate

I don't know anything about RCI's card but I have a friend who has had a Carnival card for years. She always gets at least one free person on every cruise she takes. Of course she puts EVERYTHING on the card, but she pays it off every month. For her it has worked out great.
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiegal
I don't know anything about RCI's card but I have a friend who has had a Carnival card for years. She always gets at least one free person on every cruise she takes. Of course she puts EVERYTHING on the card, but she pays it off every month. For her it has worked out great.
Yep, one of my co-workers does the same thing with her Carnival card. She charges grocerys, gas, lunch, and everything else on that card, but once again, pays it in full every month. She usually gets one free fare per year. It's a good deal if you can do it that way.

Ken