Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Passenger

Default RCC VS NCL

We've always sailed RCC - but the week we need they have no sailings from NJ - so we want to sail NCL from NY. My ? is about the class of people on the NCL cruise line. I saw on the ncl message board people compared it to Carnival - well I wouldnt sail carnival again so I am wondering if NCL is more like carnival or more like RCC.
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I haven't sailed NCL yet, but I am an avid fan of Royal Caribbean. Although I was pleasantly suprised that I really enjoyed my cruise on Carnival Glory, I would do Carnival again. I think it depends on what ship and when. Even with both Carnival and Royal Caribbean, if you take the shorter 3-4 day cruises, I bet they are very much alike. Just choose ships wisely.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I haven't sailed NCL yet, but I am an avid fan of Royal Caribbean. Although I was pleasantly suprised that I really enjoyed my cruise on Carnival Glory, I would do Carnival again. I think it depends on what ship and when. Even with both Carnival and Royal Caribbean, if you take the shorter 3-4 day cruises, I bet they are very much alike. Just choose ships wisely
Talking of being diplomatic. You would make an excellent Ambassador, my dear Donna
Old September 23rd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Why, Thank you, my dear Roland :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have never heard that mentioned about NCL. What would make this sailing from NY, have a different type of cruiser than a ship sailing from N.J.? I would think people from both states frequently make the easy drive between the 2 ports.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 24th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
I have never heard that mentioned about NCL. What would make this sailing from NY, have a different type of cruiser than a ship sailing from N.J.? I would think people from both states frequently make the easy drive between the 2 ports.
Makes sense to me! As far as RCI and NCL, I've sailed both quite a lot, and frankly, have really enjoyed both lines. Yes, they are different to some extent, but neither does anything that I haven't enjoyed. NCL does do the "Personal Choice Dining" which I can take or leave, but some people absolutely love that. I wouldn't be afraid to give NCL a shot.

Ken
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Familiar Face

we have sailed both with rccl and ncl and we enjoyed both of them. we did prefer rccl. we weren't such a fan of the freestyle. we felt that the people on ncl were very friendly and even met a couple we still keep intouch with. i don't th ink you can do wrong with either ship. WE are, however planning to go back to rccl this april on the mariner. The balcony rooms are fantastic. I guess it is hard to make a decision since we have sailed on celebrity and that was also very very nice. i guess i just love to cruise. quincy
rccl explorer 2007
Old October 8th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Admiral

We are primarily Celebrity cruisers and have not sailed on NCL. It probably would not work out for us as the freestyle dining would not be our "cup of tea". That is why we have bookings on Carnival, RCL and Celebrity.

But the beauty of cruising is that we all have many destinations, ships and schedules to choose from.

May you enjoy all your cruises.

Manuel
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Passenger

If you have sailed consistently with RCCL and are used to its high level of service, I'd suggest you don't even consider NCL--they're simply not in the same class! We've taken 5 NCL cruises over the years--in the "old days" it was a great cruise line. But, the more the "freestyle" concept has taken hold, the worse the service has become, The last NCL cruise we took was chosen because it was covenient (sailing from our home port) and "cheap," ... and we got exactly what we paid for! Never again!

If you're looking for an alternative to RCCL, with the same high standards, I'd suggest either Celebrity or Princess.

Good Luck

Emily Frost
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Familiar Face

i feel the same way about ncl and their freestyle. i can't complain about the service we got, but still rccl and celebrity was better. it's really what you want in cruising. it's good to try different cruise lines though. i just felt that rccl was classy. have fun and just enjoy every minute of cruising because it goes fast. Especially the five day cruises which i rather not take anymore. (too short) quincy
rccl explorer 2007