CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Majesty Of The Seas or Sovereign Of The Seas (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/340304-majesty-seas-sovereign-seas.html)

klctopper September 25th, 2007 12:28 PM

Majesty Of The Seas or Sovereign Of The Seas

Both ships have same 3 day itinerary.

Issue #1
So which ship is in the best shape? New state rooms and common areas?

Issue #2
Have sailed out of Miami (Majesty)a few times and know the process. How easy is it in and out of Port Canaveral (Sovereign)? Fly into Orlando? Daytona Beach? or even Melbourne?

any thought are appreciated.

ready2board September 25th, 2007 03:17 PM

Can't speak for the Majesity but we sure loved our Sovereign 4 dayer last month. Super crew/staff and the cruise director, Casey, was absolutely excellent!

I guess the Sov' is an older ship by today's standards but you would never know it. They keep it immaculant and it was just refurbished a few years ago. Wife and I had a window room and no, it's not huge, but fine for 2 people.

Dave the Wave September 25th, 2007 04:13 PM

"You take Sally, I'll take Sue...ani't no difference between the two"

I have been on both. Sovereign was built first but they are sisters and only slight difference in layout of Windjammer and the hottubs. Which port is closer, which has a better rate and which dates work best. That would decide it for me.

When I did the Majesty after Sovereign, I thought there may be a difference in the fellow cruisers based on it being a 3 day party cruise having a lot of locals from Miami may vary from the Orlando people trying to do Disney and a short cruise. I would look at the overall cost and convenience of the ports.

TheCruiseManiac September 25th, 2007 08:09 PM

I agree with Dave, there is really no difference besides the hot tubs and the windjammer, I can compare the Sovereign to being just as good as the larger ships, I have just booked the Majesty out of Miami on Oct 9th, and I was just on the Sovereign on Aug 20th.

Dianeteach68 September 25th, 2007 09:00 PM

San Juan Port

Cruise Maniac,

I read in your listings that you have already sailed on AOS. Was this a Southern Caribbean itinerary leaving from San Juan?

My concern is this. So many reader reviews have said that itinerary is great but the class of people who sail are rude. Children are everywhere and are just left to wander with no parental control.

This cruise would cost my husband and I about $4000.00 and for a teacher who saves her tutoring money to have nice vacations, I am very concerned. I am also concerned that RCCL deeply discounts passengers who are from Puerto Rico.

Do you know anything about this?

Thanks
Diane

TheCruiseManiac September 26th, 2007 08:15 PM

Re: San Juan Port

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dianeteach68
Cruise Maniac,

I read in your listings that you have already sailed on AOS. Was this a Southern Caribbean itinerary leaving from San Juan?

My concern is this. So many reader reviews have said that itinerary is great but the class of people who sail are rude. Children are everywhere and are just left to wander with no parental control.

This cruise would cost my husband and I about $4000.00 and for a teacher who saves her tutoring money to have nice vacations, I am very concerned. I am also concerned that RCCL deeply discounts passengers who are from Puerto Rico.

Do you know anything about this?

Thanks
Diane

I have been on the AOS before, Southern itinerary, leaning from San Juan, I agree that the itinerary is GREAT but the people are HORRIBLE, and the people cruising from San Juan get discounts every 5 minutes, I was talking to this one person, 6 kids, they got the same cabin as we had, $1,000 Cheaper. There are unruly children everywhere, when a staff member talks to them to stop, they say something quite rude and normally flip them off, then run away. I stayed in my cabin most of the time. Even the balconys had noises from what should be a bedroom. I hated the people over all. But I am going again, to see for a another try.

cruzaddict September 27th, 2007 12:51 AM

klctopper,
Majesty was refurbished this year. I think she set sail again in February, maybe March. But I agree that the differences mentioned by other posters should probably hold more weight in your decision.

DreadLockCruiser September 27th, 2007 12:55 PM

I have to disagree about AOS, I think it is a great ship with a great itinerary. I went Oct. of last year and I didn't experience unruly kids or rude people. There were alot of locals on board but they paid just like the rest of us and were there to have a good time, like everyone else. In fact, AOS is on my list of my favorite cruises. I was concerned because I heard some of those same stories before I went, but my experience was awesome.

TheCruiseManiac September 27th, 2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreadLockCruiser
I have to disagree about AOS, I think it is a great ship with a great itinerary. I went Oct. of last year and I didn't experience unruly kids or rude people. There were alot of locals on board but they paid just like the rest of us and were there to have a good time, like everyone else. In fact, AOS is on my list of my favorite cruises. I was concerned because I heard some of those same stories before I went, but my experience was awesome.

I guess it all depends on what month you go in.