Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Beginner

Default Majesty Of The Seas or Sovereign Of The Seas

Both ships have same 3 day itinerary.

Issue #1
So which ship is in the best shape? New state rooms and common areas?

Issue #2
Have sailed out of Miami (Majesty)a few times and know the process. How easy is it in and out of Port Canaveral (Sovereign)? Fly into Orlando? Daytona Beach? or even Melbourne?

any thought are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Captain

Can't speak for the Majesity but we sure loved our Sovereign 4 dayer last month. Super crew/staff and the cruise director, Casey, was absolutely excellent!

I guess the Sov' is an older ship by today's standards but you would never know it. They keep it immaculant and it was just refurbished a few years ago. Wife and I had a window room and no, it's not huge, but fine for 2 people.
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

"You take Sally, I'll take Sue...ani't no difference between the two"

I have been on both. Sovereign was built first but they are sisters and only slight difference in layout of Windjammer and the hottubs. Which port is closer, which has a better rate and which dates work best. That would decide it for me.

When I did the Majesty after Sovereign, I thought there may be a difference in the fellow cruisers based on it being a 3 day party cruise having a lot of locals from Miami may vary from the Orlando people trying to do Disney and a short cruise. I would look at the overall cost and convenience of the ports.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with Dave, there is really no difference besides the hot tubs and the windjammer, I can compare the Sovereign to being just as good as the larger ships, I have just booked the Majesty out of Miami on Oct 9th, and I was just on the Sovereign on Aug 20th.
R.I.P.
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default San Juan Port

Cruise Maniac,

I read in your listings that you have already sailed on AOS. Was this a Southern Caribbean itinerary leaving from San Juan?

My concern is this. So many reader reviews have said that itinerary is great but the class of people who sail are rude. Children are everywhere and are just left to wander with no parental control.

This cruise would cost my husband and I about $4000.00 and for a teacher who saves her tutoring money to have nice vacations, I am very concerned. I am also concerned that RCCL deeply discounts passengers who are from Puerto Rico.

Do you know anything about this?

Thanks
Diane

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: San Juan Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianeteach68
Cruise Maniac,

I read in your listings that you have already sailed on AOS. Was this a Southern Caribbean itinerary leaving from San Juan?

My concern is this. So many reader reviews have said that itinerary is great but the class of people who sail are rude. Children are everywhere and are just left to wander with no parental control.

This cruise would cost my husband and I about $4000.00 and for a teacher who saves her tutoring money to have nice vacations, I am very concerned. I am also concerned that RCCL deeply discounts passengers who are from Puerto Rico.

Do you know anything about this?

Thanks
Diane
I have been on the AOS before, Southern itinerary, leaning from San Juan, I agree that the itinerary is GREAT but the people are HORRIBLE, and the people cruising from San Juan get discounts every 5 minutes, I was talking to this one person, 6 kids, they got the same cabin as we had, $1,000 Cheaper. There are unruly children everywhere, when a staff member talks to them to stop, they say something quite rude and normally flip them off, then run away. I stayed in my cabin most of the time. Even the balconys had noises from what should be a bedroom. I hated the people over all. But I am going again, to see for a another try.
R.I.P.
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to cruzaddict

klctopper,
Majesty was refurbished this year. I think she set sail again in February, maybe March. But I agree that the differences mentioned by other posters should probably hold more weight in your decision.

Carnival Ecstasy 4-06, Carnival Conquest 9-07
Mariner OTS 9-08, Carnival Conquest 2-09
Carnival Conquest 9-09, Carnival Fantasy 1-10
Carnival Triumph 5-11, Mariner OTS 11-11
Old September 27th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have to disagree about AOS, I think it is a great ship with a great itinerary. I went Oct. of last year and I didn't experience unruly kids or rude people. There were alot of locals on board but they paid just like the rest of us and were there to have a good time, like everyone else. In fact, AOS is on my list of my favorite cruises. I was concerned because I heard some of those same stories before I went, but my experience was awesome.
Sensation '99, '04, '08
Triumph '99 & '03
Victory '00 & '02
Imagination '01
Fascination '05
Navigator Sept '05, Jan '09, Mar 10
Valor Aug 6, 2006, Sept 2010
Adventure 10/06
Elation Nov. 30 2006
Majesty OS June 8 2007
Glory Dec 07
Destiny 8/09, 10/11
Oasis Dec. 2009
Allure Dec 2010
Carnival Dream 3/11
Monarch OS 8/11
Freedom OS 12/4/11

Old September 27th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadLockCruiser
I have to disagree about AOS, I think it is a great ship with a great itinerary. I went Oct. of last year and I didn't experience unruly kids or rude people. There were alot of locals on board but they paid just like the rest of us and were there to have a good time, like everyone else. In fact, AOS is on my list of my favorite cruises. I was concerned because I heard some of those same stories before I went, but my experience was awesome.
I guess it all depends on what month you go in.
R.I.P.