Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2007, 07:38 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity
Default Monarch Leaving LA for PC

I heard today that the Monarch of the Seas will be leaving the Baja/Mexico run out of LA for good, a year from now, moving instead to sailings out of Port Canavral. Does anyone know if RCL is planning a replacement for the LA, 3 & 4 night runs or not?

Jane

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006
Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

The following press release does not say. Just states that guests who are already booked will receive a full refund.

I am so sad. I LOVE the Sovereign. Have sailed on her 4 times.

Press Release Source: Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Transfers Royal Caribbean International Ship to Pullmantur; Replaces Ship Serving Port Canaveral
Friday October 12, 11:03 am ET

MIAMI, Oct. 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. announced today that Royal Caribbean International's Sovereign of the Seas will be reassigned to the company's Pullmantur fleet, and the Los Angeles- based Monarch of the Seas will assume Sovereign of the Seas' sailings out of Port Canaveral. These changes will take place in October and November 2008.
"We are fortunate that our mix of brands allows us the flexibility and opportunity to expand in key strategic markets and to diversify in existing ones," said Royal Caribbean International President and CEO Adam Goldstein. "We thank our partners at the ports of Los Angeles, Ensenada, Catalina and San Diego for our outstanding and ongoing relationship. We look forward to providing our Monarch of the Seas guests with exceptional vacations as we visit those locations through next fall."

Sovereign of the Seas' last scheduled sailing for Royal Caribbean International will be on October 31, 2008. Two subsequent cruises, scheduled for November 3 and 7, will be canceled, and guests booked on those cruises will receive a full refund and an onboard credit for rebooking an earlier Sovereign of the Seas sailing during 2008 (excluding holidays). All rebookings must be made by December 31, 2007. All guests currently booked on Sovereign of the Seas on or after November 10, 2008, will be re-accommodated onboard Monarch of the Seas.

Monarch of the Seas will make its last regularly scheduled sailing out of Los Angeles on October 13, 2008. All guests currently booked on a subsequent sailing will receive a full refund and an onboard credit for rebooking a three, four or five-night Caribbean sailing, or a seven-night Mexican Riviera sailing, onboard Royal Caribbean International in 2008 (excluding holidays). All rebookings must be made by December 31, 2007.

On October 17, 2008, Monarch of the Seas will reposition to the East Coast when it departs Los Angeles on a 16-night Panama Canal cruise to Miami. The ship will then undergo a scheduled, weeklong dry-dock before welcoming its first Port Canaveral guests for three and four-night Bahamas sailings starting November 10, 2008.

Royal Caribbean International has established a special help desk to assist its guests and travel agents impacted by these changes. The toll free phone number is 1-888-281-9344.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that operates Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Cruises and CDF Croisieres de France. The company has a combined total of 35 ships in service and seven under construction. It also offers unique land- tour vacations in Alaska, Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe, Latin and South America and New Zealand. Additional information can be found on www.royalcaribbean.com, www.celebrity.com, www.pullmantur.es, www.azamaracruises.com, or www.rclinvestor.com.

Source: Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.
Carnival Fascination - April 2004, October 2005, Dec 2006
Sovereign of the Seas - Sept. 2003, April 2005, Oct. 2005, Sept. 2006
Carnival Sensation - September 2007

Old October 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are sailing on the Monarch this Monday. This is indeed bad news, we have been on her many times.
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Beginner

Well, RCCL better find a replacement. We don't want Carnival to own the 3-4 day Mexico cruise market out of Los Angeles. I sure would hope RCCL would bring over some of their larger ships to do the 3 and 4-day market, imagine the Explorer class ships overhere?
I will miss the Monarch, I just booked a 3-day on Friday February 15, will make a nice Valentines and Presidents Day weekend cruise!! --Only booked because I heard the news! Otherwise, I would have saved my money to go on Mariner of the Seas for the 7-day Mexico when it comes over to L.A. starting in February of 2009!! Can't wait!
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just got off the Monarch last week and everybody (crew) on the ship had a different story about what is to happen.
Most said, they will NOT be doing the 3-4 day cruises out of L.A.
I hope they are wrong.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

I hope they are wrong about RCL not doing the baja run anymore! I will be on her next week myself. Did any of the crew say if they were all moving to the Port Canaveral loccation with her or not?

Jane

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms492
Well, RCCL better find a replacement. We don't want Carnival to own the 3-4 day Mexico cruise market out of Los Angeles. I sure would hope RCCL would bring over some of their larger ships to do the 3 and 4-day market, imagine the Explorer class ships overhere?
I will miss the Monarch, I just booked a 3-day on Friday February 15, will make a nice Valentines and Presidents Day weekend cruise!! --Only booked because I heard the news! Otherwise, I would have saved my money to go on Mariner of the Seas for the 7-day Mexico when it comes over to L.A. starting in February of 2009!! Can't wait!
They are bringing a Voyager Class over here. The Mariner will be doing 7 night Riviera cruises out of L.A. beginning in 2009.

But as far as the 3-4 day cruises go, I am sorry to say that we are out of luck. This was posted on another board, and is a letter from RCCL regarding the lack of a replacement for Monarch.

Dear Mr. & Mrs. xxxxx :

We are writing in response to your recent e-mail regarding Royal Caribbean International’s decision to reposition Monarch of the Seas.
Thank you for your comments. We always appreciate feedback from our guests.

As you may be aware, we recently decided to transfer Sovereign of the Seas from our fleet to our sister cruise line, Pullmantur Cruises, which is based in Spain. In association with the transfer of that ship, we also decided to reposition Monarch of the Seas from the Port of Los Angeles to Port Canaveral, Florida, to replace Sovereign of the Seas.

In an ideal situation, we would have all the ships we wanted and we would be able to place them in every port we chose. However, in reality, as the popularity of cruising continues to increase, we find ourselves in the position of not having enough ships to place in every market we would like. Southern California is an example of this, specifically in terms of three- and four-night sailings.

While we are offering year-round, seven-night sailings onboard Vision of the Seas in Southern California, and additional seasonal service by several other ships, we don’t currently have the ability to offer three- and four-night sailings there.

We hope the repositioning of another one of our ship, Mariner of the Seas, from Port Canaveral to the Port of Los Angeles, in February 2009, will provide you with some additional cruising options.

We share your disappointment regarding the void our repositioning of Monarch of the Seas will create in our short sailings from Southern California. We also appreciate your understanding of the difficult circumstances we sometime find ourselves in, such as this.

As our fleet grows and our ability to service more markets increases, we will continue to keep the Port of Los Angeles in mind as we consider options for short sailings in the Southern California market. Until those sailings are available, I hope you will consider the other options we offer from Southern California – or in other parts of the world.

Again, Mr. & Mrs. xxxxx, we thank you for taking the time to write and for your interest in the deployment of our ships. We hope this information is useful and helps explains some of our recent decisions.

Sincerely,

Janelle Valentino
Executive Representative
Old October 27th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Beginner

This is very sad news for us here. We have sailed on the Monarch twice in the last few years and this is the ship that got us "hooked" on cruising. We have even gotten into the travel business based on our wonderfull experiences on the Monarch.

We sincerely hope that they reconsider leaving the So Cal "short cruise" market...

A great lady is being taken from us...