Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Passenger

Default Healthy food onboard?

Hi all

I was wondering if there is anywhere aboard the Mariner of the Seas that serves healthy food. I attend Weightwatchers and have lost 14lbs to date and don't want to undo all my hard work.

Although i intend to enjoy myself on holiday i would like to know if they offer low-fat alternatives.

Just to say in advance, thanks for all the fab advise i have read and received on this forum site, very informative and with a great sense of humour.

TTFN

Michelle

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Beginner

Default food

Congratulations Michelle keep up the good work. All RC ships have some alternative selections on the menues. You just have to watch and choose smartly. The windjammer is buffet style and has a large selection of fruits,veggies etc. Good luck ---it's tough to diet on a cruise ship. They make it sooooo easy to overeat. The ship shape area may also help.
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Passenger

Thanks alot, i was hoping there would be fruit available, just hope i get around to eating it instead of just looking at it .

Can you tell me what the "ship shape area" is?

Thanks

Michelle

Old October 25th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

There is ALWAYS fresh fruit available. I usually have breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer. Breakfast is a ton of fresh fruit and usually oatmeal (I splurge a little with a dab of brown sugar, raisins and sliced almonds). You can also get an omelet made to order with eggwhites or Eggbeaters and whatever veggies you want - be sure to ask them to use the spray rather than the oil in the pan, though.

Lunch starts at the salad bar and I fill 1/2 the plate with greens and raw veggies before even looking at anything else. There is always a carved item without sauce and lots of veggies. You will find some very tasty sugar-free desserts available as well as fresh fruit (OK, admittedly I splurge on desserts on a cruise).

At dinner, they will leave the sauce off of any item for you - there is always a grilled fish and chicken breast available as well and a plain baked potato. Portions tend to be small anyway (of course, people can have as many as they want), so don't worry about that. They do tend to skimp on veggies, so I often ask for a plate of steamed broccoli - no problem at all. Sugar-free desserts available in the dining room also - or just ask for a fruit plate or stawberries - the waitstaff aims to please.
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Congrats on your weight loss!

There will always be heathly selections available.
There is always fruit available. Breakfest I'll have eggs, toast and fruit, skip lunch, Dinner I always go with grilled fish and veggies and I don't order dessert. First seating for dinner no late nite food.

Those wonderful colorful alcholic drinks and beer are loaded with useless calories so I limit myself to two a day.

If you do workout the shipshape program is great and also walking on deck is great. If you like to dance hit the disco. Dancing burns a ton of calories.

Crusing does not have to mean overeating and gaining weight just make the right choices.

And yes all of us here in the RCCL boards are informative with a great sense of humor!

Enjoy your cruise!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Admiral

one of the easiest ways to get some exercise on a cruise ship is to simply walk, take the stairs not the elevators whenever you can.
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Beginner

It was easier than I thought it would be to eat healthy. At dinner, the portions are small. I did eat bread every night tho . I took the stairs all the time and walked 2 mornings. But we were so tired when we got home I don't know if that was a good idea. I gained maybe 2 pounds but that was gone a few days after . I would have been in big trouble if they had glazed doughnuts, fried chicken and hot rolls with butter. Enjoy your cruise. There are plenty of options to stay on track.
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You should have no problem eating healthy, that won't be a problem. There is plenty of fruits, vegetables, cereals, etc. The buffet is loaded with all kinds of good things, just stay away from the yummy stuff that you shouldn't have, that will be the hardest part...

have a great cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Michelle,

I am a lifetime member of WW so I know what you mean. I just came back from MOS in September, and gained exactly 1 pound. I went up to the gym each day and weighed myself.

There are healthy alternatives all over the ship. The fruit bar in the Windjammer is excellent. Remember that the great thing about WW is that you can enjoy yourself and eat what you like, but a little.

Congrats on your first 14 - I have 14 to reach 100.

Diane

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:44 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

I just came back from the Triumph 10/13 and I only gained .4 when I had weigh in.... I guess with all the walking and water things we did (and watching what I ate of course), I did quite well. Beware of the melting chocolate cake - 19 points a serving - YIKES! Believe me I did have desserts but I guess I kept my snacking to a minimum. If I needed a sweets fix, I stopped for a lowfat frozen yogurt and had maybe a 1/4 cup on a cone. I also was very careful with my alcohol intake. I had maybe a glass of wine or a drink during the day. However, because the ship was so cold inside, I had hot tea almost every night! You'll do just fine and remember there are alternatives to the specialty meals that they serve every night...

Old October 28th, 2007, 10:50 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

ps. 53 lbs down. 30 very hard pounds to get to goal. I've been trying to get to goal, off and on, with a lot of stress since 2000. I've always stayed within 10 of my original 50 which I lost through the at work program. We finally got at work back in September and we have a great group and this time I believe I'll finally make it! Also remember the fitness centers if you want to bike or use the weights and or treadmills and the outside walking tracks. I have to discipline myself the next time around to do this....maybe even sit in the sauna to sweat off one or two....

Old October 29th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Passenger

Thank you all for your fab advise. I'm really pleased there is so much choice for me to eat in a balance of healthy and yummy food

Well done to everyone on their weightloss, i will report back on my return.

Old October 30th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Wow.. I never realized that there were so many WW people on this board. I too have been going to WW since January. I am down 54 lbs. with about 30 to go. Hubby lost 65. I bought my first size 14 pants in regular ladies section last night. What a great feeling. Hubby and I were on the Empress in September and let me tell you, I ate everything that didn't eat me first I think. I gained 5 lbs. but have already gotten that back off. We walked the track most mornings. What a lovely view to look at while you are walking. You can eat as healthy as you want to eat on a cruise. If you only want food that's on the plan you can get it. Personally I say, splurge a little and then get back on the plan when you get back.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!!!!!!!