Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Freedom Question(s)

Hi all. Leaving on Freedom a week from Sunday and was just looking at some exterior pics of the ship. I noticed a different configuration in the area where the peek-a-boo bridge is located on the Voyager class ships, and it appears to be fully enclosed all the way around versus open with a roof on the Voyager class. Anyone know what the layout is up there or if they even have the peek-a-boo on the Freedom class?

Oh, and to save listing another topic, what do some of you do as far as getting mixers and fruit (ie: limes) for use with your own personal 'medicine'? I may bring my own 'medication' and I noticed in previous posts, pictures of tons of mixers and fruit and I definitely don't want to lug all that from home. Is it pretty easy to buy that stuff in various ports?

Finally, what was the trick to keep your cabin A/C running if you have the balcony door open? I seem to remember it had something to do with either magnets, or duct tape, or both. Although duct tape seems pretty obvious for anything, I cant remember this particular item.

Thanks,

Chip
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Yeoman

Nope. No peek-a-boo over the bridge on Freedom Class ships. As far as fruits, etc. I am sure you can get them in ports. Not sure though as I never tried. And in the Caribbean, it was always too hot to keep the door open, so we just shut it. I am sure some people bring magnets for that, but it is a waste of energy. Room still won't stay cool with the door open. Sorry.
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Just a note of caution, not sure if you can actually bring aboard any fruits from the ports. There are many to choose from onboard, may-be no need to go out and get. I too wouldn't leave the balcony door open any length of time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Just a note of caution, not sure if you can actually bring aboard any fruits from the ports. There are many to choose from onboard, may-be no need to go out and get. I too wouldn't leave the balcony door open any length of time.
Hello my dear,

Perhaps you should have added: "not sure you should bring that personal ´medicine´ onboard either
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Admiral

if you bring aboard your personal libations in your carry-on it will be taken from you. RCCL has also come down pretty strongly with checking, checked baggage also.
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wondered how things were these days. yet, I have talked to a few people at work who have very recently sailed with RCCL and none of them had any trouble with stuff in their checked bags. They did say they were much more thorough with carry-ons as well as when returning from out ports. Also, I was kinda thinking that getting limes or any other produce from ports might be a problem, yet today I again talked to folks at work who had no problem at all, even bringing a big bag of oranges back onboard. It's when you gat back to the US that you may have trouble as, of course, the agriculture dept. prohibits importing those items. But in re: to your comments, where would you get them on board. We even like lime in tea and soft drinks and it would be nice to have a few to work with. Also, do they frown on bringing soft drinks and mixers aboard? After all the cruises we've done, we just never tried to do it and just started wondering about it.

On the A/C front, I'm sure it's different on each ship, or at least version of a ship, but when we had done it in the past (obviously, I forgot what we did) it actually did make a difference. We sometimes like to keep the door cracked when sleeping so we can listen to the ship's wake and we found that having the air stay on was somewhat better than having it totally off. As far as energy goes, I really doubt that the weak A/C in a cabin would really make a dent in 5 giant diesel-electric generators running in the basement. Plus, we pretty much have set the thing to full cold and left it that way the whole cruise anyway due to the poor cooling usually found. But I'm sure that's individual preference.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh, also, I'm bummed about the peek-a-boo bridge. I've always loved watching the bridge activities and looking at the nav screen repeater up top. Fun to compare their setup and what they do compared to my job and I'll miss looking at that. Oh well.
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:43 PM
First Mate

Couldn't you find fruit at windjammer and just take it to your cabin.
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmeister

On the A/C front, I'm sure it's different on each ship, or at least version of a ship, but when we had done it in the past (obviously, I forgot what we did) it actually did make a difference. We sometimes like to keep the door cracked when sleeping so we can listen to the ship's wake and we found that having the air stay on was somewhat better than having it totally off. As far as energy goes, I really doubt that the weak A/C in a cabin would really make a dent in 5 giant diesel-electric generators running in the basement. Plus, we pretty much have set the thing to full cold and left it that way the whole cruise anyway due to the poor cooling usually found. But I'm sure that's individual preference.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.
It obviously does make a difference if they make it so it turns off when the door is opened. Imagine if everyone wanted their door open with the air on? It would make a huge difference. No, one door won't. But I doubt you are the only person who wants the door open and the air on. I would guess that most people would want it that way when on a cruise.
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzla
It obviously does make a difference if they make it so it turns off when the door is opened. Imagine if everyone wanted their door open with the air on? It would make a huge difference. No, one door won't. But I doubt you are the only person who wants the door open and the air on. I would guess that most people would want it that way when on a cruise.
Thanks fitzla.
A/C stands by far for most onboard energy consumption, so please don´t try to cheat the balcony doors
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Question is....

Why are Freedom's rates so much more expensive than the other RCCL ships? The ship is just like the Mariner.

Diane

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianeteach68
Question is....

Why are Freedom's rates so much more expensive than the other RCCL ships? The ship is just like the Mariner.

Diane
FR is NOT like MA
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Mariner is to Hummer...

Like Freedom is to Stretch Hummer...

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Biggest question Is the food better on Freedom than Mariner?

Diane

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Old October 27th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I would venture to say it is the same. They are both fine and I have never gone hungry on a cruise.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10