Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Beginner

Default Need advise from the experts!!

I have been lurking around the boards here for quite some time and have found some very valuable information here. We have scheduled our first cruise for April '08 on Voyager of the Seas. We are trying to plan our excursions now and we have no idea what to do. Our ports are:
Montego Bay, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico. Any help would be really appreciated. We would like to just take it easy, shop and eat somewhere one day and then do 1 excersion at 2 of the others. I have looked at Dunns Falls and that looks really fun, and we have thought about the Jeep ride or ATV ride somewhere? We are just clueless to be honest. It will be my hubby and I and another couple. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Passenger

We love renting a Jeep in Cozumel. It is next to impossible to get lost on that island and a 5 speed jeep is really a lot of fun. You can go to the state park and swim if you want as well. Their are jeep rental places right at the docs.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I can highly recommend doing an excursion to Sting Ray City and snorkel with the sting rays in Grand Cayman. If you like something really exciting, in Cozumel you can swim with the dolphins, great fun and great animals.

In Montego bay we signed up for a ship excursion doing the Canopy tour, also lots of fun.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 5th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Passenger

If you do anything make sure it is Sting Ray City. That was the coolest thing ever.

I climbed Dunn's Falls. While it was exciting it is kind of dangerous and alot people came off it very bruised up.

We snorkled in Cozumel. Just picked a vendor right on the dock since our excursion had been cancelled. It was alot of fun.
Old November 5th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We came back from Montego Bay, in September. We took a city tour, which included a stop at Margarittaville. This is just my opinion, but I won't do Jamacia again..It was interesting to see this city, since we had only visited Ocho Rios. But, for many of the stops we stayed on the bus, as did others.... Jimmy Buffet would I supspect, cringe if he saw his restaurant/bar...not my cup of tea at all.

Dunns River, for may can be too physical. but if not its lits of fun, as my daughter has fond memories of climbing it on her honeymoon.

Sting Ray City, does get raves, as the other posters mentioned. Private tours there are also available.

Cozumel, has changed since my last trip..Downtown looked great!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 6th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Admiral

In Cozumel, also look into an excursion to xcaret an interesting
ecological park
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Beginner

What date is your cruise? We just signed up for the April 13th cruise!
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I can highly recommend doing an excursion to Sting Ray City and snorkel with the sting rays in Grand Cayman. If you like something really exciting, in Cozumel you can swim with the dolphins, great fun and great animals.
Ladybug...
My DS and DDIL just returned from a Caribbean cruise and they said exactly what Donna said~~~stingrays and dolphins !!!!!!

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkdry
I climbed Dunn's Falls. While it was exciting it is kind of dangerous and alot people came off it very bruised up.
Are we talking of the same DunnĀ“s Falls? What has become dangerous?
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Passenger

The rocks were pretty slippery. I know I got my foot caught and it took me awhile to free myself. They didn't stress how everyone needed to keep holding hands which made it tougher to climb. I saw a few people with bruises and cuts.
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkdry
The rocks were pretty slippery. I know I got my foot caught and it took me awhile to free myself. They didn't stress how everyone needed to keep holding hands which made it tougher to climb. I saw a few people with bruises and cuts.
Yes, the rocks are slippery. The times I have climbed, they did stress holding hands all the times. Sorry to hear about the cuts and bruises
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to FlySail

I passed on the Dunns Falls excursion and heard all about the cold water and the crowds as a negative. On the positive there was nothing but great stories and gorgeous photo ops for those who rented the ATV's. Just completed my 8th cruise.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to mike1trim

Yes Dunns river is very slipery!
I had to help another familys young boys half way through it.
You need to be in good shape!
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Admiral

FYI - since you are docking in Montego Bay Jamaica to get to Dunns River Falls is about and hour ride. Book a ships tour if you decide to go this route. We have been to Jamaica a few times and just opted to veg out at the beach and are so glad that we did. All the cabs that are allowed insided the gate at the pier are bonded and reputable just grab a cab and head out to Doctors Cove beach. It is a beautiful beach, your cab driver will want to make it a round trip fare just tell him what time to pick you up.
Grand Cayman - book a tour with the Sting Rays
Cozumel - try snorkeling the reefs, it is easy and quite the sights to see - book a ships tour
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Dunn River Falls is awesome; however, it is a crap shoot on who you get for a tour guide; and who is on your tour; yes it can get slippery and you have to be in decent health; however, at anytime you can elect to climb up the stairs near the falls. A small tour group would be best; about 20 people; we used the Cool Sailings tour group; which was about 25 people and this was a great tour.

for Grand Cayman; will vote for Sting Ray city; you have to do this at least once

for Cozumel: xcaret has a great website; we did the underground river swim; while it was chilly, it was refreshing from the blazing sun
and Xel-ha is my next stop in Cozumel - they have a great website as well; just google the names of the parks for their websites
if you are more laidback and into history; Tulum is a must see: relaxing to do the guided tour and walk down to the beach for a brief dip; all of these are are on the mainland and if you dock in Cozumel; you will have to get a ferry to the mainland and then a bus ride to your destination or taxi depending on how your tour/excursion is arranged
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old December 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Beginner

Thanks everyone. We booked the Dunns Falls with the ship. We haven't decided for sure but we want to do Sting Ray City but I don't really want to snorkle so we haven't made our final decision on that yet. Which still leaves us up in the air in Cozumel. Is this a good place just to grab a cab and roam about shopping and stuff?

We leave out of Galveston on April 13th.

Thanks again for all your advice. I don't know what I would do without this forum!!!!